+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Lil, I think Lily would do fine with HP. The first few aren't very scary at all, so she should be okay. I started on The Hobbit at Lily's age, so I think Harry Potter is going to be just fine for her. There are some scary parts in the series, but the first few are less scary, imo.

I just started Two Rivers by T. Greenwood. It's another of the books I got at the convention in October. The publishing rep said this is the best book he's read in a very long time. I'm not too far into it yet, but it's great so far. Here's a little synopsis from amazon:
    In this evocative novel of redemption, Greenwood (Undressing the Moon) finds humanity and redemption in the life of a smalltown widower and his legacy of guilt. In 1980, 12 years after his involvement in the murder of a black man, railroad worker Harper Montgomery is still living under a cloud of guilt. Alternating between past and present, Harper's narrative reveals bit by bit the circumstances of the crime, as well as the long-devoted lover Harper was, and the caring father he's become. Harper's narrative makes a mystery of much: we know he participated in the murder, but not why. We know his wife died, but not how. Already struggling to raise his daughter, Shelly, further questions surround his decision to take in pregnant teen Maggie. As the past catches up the present, however, Harper's grave fears give way to unexpected and poignant developments.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical - that does sound good! Guess I'll have to make another "trip" to Amazon...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3252288;
    Critical - that does sound good! Guess I'll have to make another "trip" to Amazon...
    It's not officially released until December 30th, so you can wait until after Christmas!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, Two Rivers sounds right up my alley! I'll make sure to look for it once it's out.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Lil, I think my kids were around grade 3 or so. I would let her read them if she wants to. I agree with AJ, the movies were more frightening than the books. Have you read them?? You might want to read along with her (they're not that bad, and an easy read)

FORT Fogey

I have not read any of the HP books, but I've been told that JK Rowling wrote them intending for readers to grow up along with the characters -- that her intent was to gear the first one towards kids the age that Harry is in the first one, and that she matured the writing as the characters matured. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3252411;
    Lil, I think my kids were around grade 3 or so. I would let her read them if she wants to. I agree with AJ, the movies were more frightening than the books. Have you read them?? You might want to read along with her (they're not that bad, and an easy read)
    Yes, I have read them all. Still haven't seen the movies though my daughter says she watched one at a friend's house. I'm just a little concerned that some parts might scare her. Maybe I'll read it with her.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll pull out the first book today. Thanks to school closings she'll be bored and looking for something to do.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3252421;
    I have not read any of the HP books, but I've been told that JK Rowling wrote them intending for readers to grow up along with the characters -- that her intent was to gear the first one towards kids the age that Harry is in the first one, and that she matured the writing as the characters matured. Is that correct?
    I hadn't heard that, but I suppose it's true to an extent. It really depends on the child's reading and maturity level. When I was in the fifth grade and we'd taken some standardized tests, my teacher pulled me into his office and told me that I was reading at a first-year university level. As a result I was given full access to any and all the books in our school library (and yes, some had very mature subject matter - this was the 70's and there wasn't the same level of caution about what the kids had access to). I have to say, though - nothing I read damaged my psyche. My 9 1/2 year-old, along with two other girls in her class, have already finished the top level of books the teacher has in class and the 3 of them now bring books from home, or school library books, for reading period. She (and one of the other girls) has read Twilight and New Moon. I got some raised eyebrows from other moms at that, but I can't bring myself to censor her from reading Stephenie's books, which are well-written, incredibly imaginative & original, and free from obscene language. JMO of course, and everyone should make their own decisions regarding their children.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3252428;
    Yes, I have read them all. Still haven't seen the movies though my daughter says she watched one at a friend's house. I'm just a little concerned that some parts might scare her. Maybe I'll read it with her.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll pull out the first book today. Thanks to school closings she'll be bored and looking for something to do.
    Lil, whenever you're able to, I'd always recommend reading along with your kids. They love it and you can get a good gauge on what their reading capabilities are.

My 8 year old nephew has been reading the Harry Potter books for the last year and is on book 5. He's a pretty emotionally sensitive kid and he hasn't had any issues with them. The only problem that we have had with him is that he is so far advanced in his reading, and he so loves the genre, that he has a tendency to let his imagination run wild when telling stories in class. The other kids don't get it.

He just in trouble a couple of weeks ago for telling a story about the 7 signs of the end of the world (one was apparently something about a great snowfall... and we had just had a blizzard).. a story that had a couple of kids in his 3rd grade class apparently in tears later. I haven't read HP, but someone else told me later that the details were pulled out of HP. The principal had to come into class... oh the drama of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3252312;
    It's not officially released until December 30th, so you can wait until after Christmas!
    Are we still talking about The Tales Of Beedle The Bard? If so, I saw the book last weekend at Target's and at Wal-Mart; so in some parts of the country it appears to be early release for Christmas. I apologize if that is not the book we are referring too.

My niece began HP books when she was that age and she did grow with the books but at 12 she stopped until she was 14 because she knew she wasn't ready for the (to her) scary parts in Book 4.

I think as long as she is interested, let her enjoy reading them.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread