+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by jg1958;3251008;
    Well I like reading Christian books, some of my favorites are Karen Kingsbury, Sally John. They're very real stories, somethings you can relate to, and very well written. The reason I like them is that they make me think, appreciate and love my family and friends even more.
    have you read "Sophie's heart" by Lori Wick? thats my favorite book ever, so heartwarming and funny in parts..she writes christian fiction.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

MRD

I'm reading the sequel to The Eight, The Fire. So far so good. I enjoyed The Eight a lot.
    I never would have read either if it hadn't been for this thread, so thanks for the reccomendations.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like Janet Evanovich's stand alone work but I haven't picked up any of her series yet. This weekend I tried an audio book of One For the Money (Stephanie Plum) and I had a hard time getting into the story - mostly because I found myself correcting the narrator's phrasing! This novel is very wry and the humour is getting lost in the bland delivery, I think I'm going to have to break down and buy the printed books.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey

I am reading Slam right now. Its the only novel left of Nick Hornby's that I have not read yet, and I'm enjoying it. The only problem is that I'm keenly aware as I read it that after this, I'm out of Hornby novels, which makes me sad. The man needs to get writing!

Over the weekend, I decided to start a reader's journal. I was prompted to when I started trying to figure out how many books I'd read this year, and wasn't quite sure. So I decided I'm going to record the title, author, date finished, and my thoughts on each book I finish. I'm also writing down where I heard about the book to decide to write it. I can't decide if there's anything else I'll want to remember about each book. Do any of the rest of you keep a reader's journal? If so, is there any other info you write down?

MRD

I should keep one as nothing irritates me more than to pick up a book and start reading it and then find out I've already read it. I read so much that this has happened to me several times, especially with prolific authors or a long series. But I'd probably just write down the name and author and maybe the date. I doubt I'd keep a journal if I had to write down how I felt about it. I might do a rating system of stars though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

As I tend to be a voracious reader and like to read a lot of novels by the same authors, I started a diary about 10 years ago. Otherwise, I would find myself reading the same books. Although I tend to remember which ones I liked, I may think of adding a future rating system. That may help even more with recommendations.

I picked up The Tales Of Beedle The Bard today and can't wait to start reading it.

I have a question for those of you with children who have read the Harry Potter books. At what age do you think they're appropriate? My 7 year old is asking to read them and I'm debating giving her the first one.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I thought I read a lot, i dont think I read enough to worry about reading something over without realizing it yet lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3252174;
    I picked up The Tales Of Beedle The Bard today and can't wait to start reading it.

I have a question for those of you with children who have read the Harry Potter books. At what age do you think they're appropriate? My 7 year old is asking to read them and I'm debating giving her the first one.
    I say if she can manage that reading level, let her have them. Has she seen the movies? She can easily handle the books if she doesn't find the movies too frightening.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree with AJane - it all depends on the child, of course, but if she's seen the movies and can read at that level (which is fantastic, by the way) I'd let her read them.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

+ Reply to Thread