+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 699 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138538 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Hey Phat, and all you folks that have read American Gods and/or Good Omens, I am familiar with Neil Gaiman from his comics/graphic novels (like, for example, I loved the Sandman series and Death: The High Cost of Living which, oh my God, I read in high school). I haven't read any of his prose or novels before though. Any suggestions on where to start?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Hey Phat, and all you folks that have read American Gods and/or Good Omens, I am familiar with Neil Gaiman from his comics/graphic novels (like, for example, I loved the Sandman series and Death: The High Cost of Living which, oh my God, I read in high school). I haven't read any of his prose or novels before though. Any suggestions on where to start?
    Aside from the Sandman/Death graphic novels, I've only read American Gods, Good Omens, and Coraline.

American Gods was an ambitious novel and possibly his most high-profile "mainstream" work after Sandman. I thoroughly enjoyed it: thought-provoking, funny, razor-sharp dialogue, and a darn good travelogue, to boot! (Think Bill Bryson on mescaline.) If you liked the Sandman graphic novels, you'll like American Gods.

Coraline comes in second (but a close second). It's a children's tale--and a haunted house tale--with a satirical bite. If you liked the Sandman stuff with faeries (you'll notice my PC spelling for folks who are into that stuff ) you'll like Coraline.

Good Omens was a bit rough around the edges. Like you and Death: The High Cost of Living, I read Good Omens back in high school, so it's been a while for me. I remember liking it okay, but not more than that. Neil wrote it with Terry Pratchett; I wasn't a fan of Terry Pratchett's before, and this novel didn't do anything to change my mind.

Disclaimer: The rest of this post is a geeky descent into graphic novels ("comic books" to the uninitiated), and yes, if SFG replies, and I reply back, I'll probably kick it over to some new "Comics" thread or something. Consider yourselves warned.

As for graphic novels, I liked both Death graphic novels (The High Cost of Living and The Time of Your Life). Neil's 1602 disappointed me. He's not showing me anything about the Marvel characters I haven't seen before. I hope to pass on my love of graphic novel storytelling someday so that my grandchildren can enjoy the end of Neil's Miracleman: The Silver Age.

As for other graphic novels/comic books I'm geeked up about right now:
    1. Supreme Power (J. Michael Stracyznski)
    2. The Amazing Spider-Man (JMS)
    3. Y: The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughn)
    4. Wanted (Mark Millar)
    5. Astro City (Kurt Busiek)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Thanks, Phat, I knew you wouldn't let me down. I'll put American Gods and Coraline on the must-buy list, and Good Omens on the wish list.

Start a comics/graphics novel thread. I'd love to geek out with you.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Snowflake Girl, if you like Neil Gaiman, read his novel Neverwhere. I finished it recently and it's It was made into a movie, which I'm going to try to find at the video store (I know Amazon has it for sale). I'm about to read Coraline myself as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Heart Full of Lies the latest Ann Rule book. Love her stuff, though this one has really large font, which was a complaint from diehard fans. I borrowed it from the library so I'm not complaining.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'm almost finished with Tom Clancy's "Clear and Present Danger". I read it for the first time maybe 8 years ago, and I just found it in the trunk of my car and decided to give it another read. I think Clancy himself is a pompous ass, but the book is interesting enough. Also, I learned my lesson last time. This time I came prepared with a notepad so I could keep track of all the ten trillion acronyms he explains once and then uses a hundred more times. Not having any personal military experience, it's tough to remember them all.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just finished "When The Wind Blows" by James Patterson. I really loved it -- genetic mutation, diabolical doctors. Very suspenseful.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I just read "The Killing Kind" by John Connolly. Not a fan of the gore, but the story sucked me in. Don't read it before bed, though. I had nightmares about spiders.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just finished the second Left Behind book. Now I'm reading the third book in the series, Nicolae: The Rise of Antichrist.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Snowflake Girl, if you like Neil Gaiman, read his novel Neverwhere. I finished it recently and it's It was made into a movie, which I'm going to try to find at the video store (I know Amazon has it for sale). I'm about to read Coraline myself as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion, averagejane!

I just put in an order at Half.com for American Gods, and saw that there too. I put it in my Wish List for next time, along with Good Omens. Coraline looks great too, I'd love to read that. So many books, so little time! I just want them all!

+ Reply to Thread