+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3236621;
    Im reading "the first time" by joy fielding, I havent even opened it yet..just took it off the shelf..but joy fielding usually shocks and surprises me, so I expect some of the same.
    Oooh, a new Joy Fielding, is it? I OD'd on Fielding a couple of years ago when I read a whole stack of Joy Fielding novels back to back and came to the conclusion that her novels are best enjoyed, say, once a year. At least for me. But I agree: she keeps the shocks 'n' jolts coming. A great page-turner author.

I'm currently reading "Autofiction" by a young Japanese writer called Hitomi Kanehara. It's a pretty disturbing look into a young woman's mind, but it is also a playful, slightly postmodern take on fiction within the fiction (I could have just written metafiction, couldn't I? ) Very effective and well-written! If you're interested in contemporary Japanese fiction, I'd definitely recommend Hitomi Kanehara.

Any Haruki Murakami fans here btw?
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-25-2008 at 02:43 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Oooh, a new Joy Fielding, is it? I OD'd on Fielding a couple of years ago when I read a whole stack of Joy Fielding novels back to back and came to the conclusion that her novels are best enjoyed, say, once a year. At least for me. But I agree: she keeps the shocks 'n' jolts coming. A great page-turner author.
    yes I keep telling myself that they kept getting worse after I read charley's web, not better...but then I keep reading them, I like the shock at the end.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3240292;
    Finished Loving Frank for my book group. . . it was over rated but the historical aspects were very interesting. Breezing through Twilight currently to see what the fuss is all about. Next book group selection if Friday Night Knitting Club. Can't say I'm excited but what the heck. I really want to read some Joyce Carol Oates, perhaps The Falls. Any recommendations from her work? And also Barbara Kingsolver. . . I've read the Poisonwood Bible and The Prodigal Summer. . .anyone have any other favorites?
    Happy Reading!

I read "Friday Night Knitting Club" a year or so ago. It's an entertaining book. And - my mother (who knits and reads all things associated with knitting) just told me that there is a sequel called "Knit Two".

I'm about to start reading Marian Keyes' latest "This Charming Man". I am usually AT the bookstore when her new books are released, but I somehow missed this one and just got it yesterday.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I just started "Dead Until Dark" by Charlaine Harris. I haven't watched TrueBlood yet (ducking and running....) but someone told me I HAD to read these books.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

I just picked up a few books for a long road trip...The Woods by Harlan Corben, Creation in Death by JD Robb, and The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff(I'm realy looking forward to this one).
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3240297;
    For Joyce Carol Oates, We Were the Mulvaney's was great. It's one of the only Oprah book club books that I did not end up angry at Oprah for choosing ... until it dawned on me that I have my own free will and don't have to read something because Oprah tells me to.
    I think geek will disagree with me but Mulvaney's, I think, is Oates' best work. I read it in spite of the Oprah sticker and ended up loving it.
    I also really liked American Appetites, and for some reason the story of The Tattooed Girl has stayed with me emotionally, even though I wasn't that crazy about the book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3240364;
    Im reading "the good house" its supposed to be scary, so we'll see...I was just looking at the library and picked it up.
    quoting myself to say this is SO SO SO good!! I can barely put it down, In fact I had to jump on the computer to share that info with you guys, thats how good it is lol someone pick it up and let me know that it really is that good,and not my imagination lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3240953;
    I think geek will disagree with me but Mulvaney's, I think, is Oates' best work. I read it in spite of the Oprah sticker and ended up loving it.
    I also really liked American Appetites, and for some reason the story of The Tattooed Girl has stayed with me emotionally, even though I wasn't that crazy about the book.
    Yep, I respectfully beg to differ. We Were the Mulvaneys is a great book, no question about it, but Blonde - a big, sprawling, beautifully written take on the life of Marilyn Monroe, or rather Marilyn the myth - is still my JCO champion, along with Bellefleur (the first novel in the gothic saga) and some of her more gothic style short stories like The Collector of Hearts and Faithless: Tales of Transgression. Also, I only recently realized that Ms Oates is also a very talented young adult writer. Do read Freaky Green Eyes and After the Crash, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings and Flew Away. All those essentially "Oatesian" themes are there, but the language is more straightforward. I was very pleasantly surprised. As far as her shorter novels go, I really liked Black Water and Beasts. Pretty dark stuff, but that's the way I like it.

Oh, and I really liked one of the insanely productive Oates' latest efforts, The Gravedigger's Daughter. Very moving and well-written, with a nice epic feel. Epic Great American Oates and Gothic Oates are my two favourites. I found The Tattooed Girl deeply disturbing, but I did like it. Not one of her strongest efforts, but given the amount of books she puts out there, I have to say she has a very high low, if that makes sense.

As far as her older works go, I'm very fond of them and Wonderland. Marya: A Life (probably the closest to an autobiographically themed novel that Oates has ever come) is also a great read.

Okay, must stop ranting about JCO now. But to wrap thing up: Veruka, I definitely think you should pick up Blonde as it is considered by many (including me, the resident Oates expert - thanks for the title, Critical!) as her opus magnus. But her short stories and novella-style novels (novelettes?) also come highly recommended. PM me if you want some more titles.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-26-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3240836;
    Happy Reading!

I read "Friday Night Knitting Club" a year or so ago. It's an entertaining book. And - my mother (who knits and reads all things associated with knitting) just told me that there is a sequel called "Knit Two".
    I really enjoyed Friday Night Knitting Club, I also read Kate's other stand alone novel "Comfort Food" it was not as compelling as Friday NIght Knitting Club - or maybe it just struck more of a chord with me because our daughters are closer to the same age.

Obsession FNKC might not be a first choice for you but it is a good read.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'm reading The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. A wonderful story of a young girl living in the poorest section of London in the 1880's and how she suffers and works her way to a better life. You feel like you are really there with her. Good writing and a fascinating tale.

+ Reply to Thread