+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

CCL - don't worry, I didn't give away anything in your book. I haven't read it ... I was referring to the fact that you are reading a book called "Time Traveler's Wife", and said that 50 years from now we'll have books downloaded into our brains. Kinda like a "time travel prediction". It made more sense in my head than it does in writing ... sorry!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

CCL

^ That's okay, SR5Rfan.

I do like the Evanovich/Stephanie Plum novels (though the last few have not been as great as the first books). They are addictive. A friend gave me the first book and, upon finishing it, I had to go out immediately and buy the remaining books.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3234122;
    ^ That's okay, SR5Rfan.

I do like the Evanovich/Stephanie Plum novels (though the last few have not been as great as the first books). They are addictive. A friend gave me the first book and, upon finishing it, I had to go out immediately and buy the remaining books.
    I was like that too with those books. I find an author or a series and I have to read ALL the books.

I just discovered Heather Graham. They aren't the greatest books in the world, but the storyline is intriguing and while I am not a romance fan, I like the ghostly aspect of the books so I can overlook the romance parts that are in them.

But I'll find an author and then check out every book they've written.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

has anyone read "the good house" by Tananarive Due ? I have never heard of the author before but was in the mood for something spooky...and its supposed to be.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3233985;
    The more I've thought about it since seeing the site that Critical linked to, the more I've decided that the idea of passing books on anonymously doesn't appeal to me as much. A big factor in the fun for me is thinking about WHO would enjoy the book, and also hearing from them once they've read it. To pass it on anonymously, you never get that ... and you don't know that a cleaning person didn't just toss it in the trash. Although, it'd make a really cool book, or movie, to create a story of a book being passed anonymously along, following all the people who pick it up and read it, and how it effects their lives.
    I can understand that. I always knew I took a chance that the ticket doods would pick up the book before someone else did, but it lightened my load and it still gave me a smile thinking someone picked it up and would enjoy the book. The magazines were definites... I just know the relief and joy that I got from getting on the train and finding one sitting there ready to help me pass the time (if I had forgotten one of my own.)

The last sentence reminds me of the book in the movie Serendipity where Kate Beckinsale writes her name and phone number in a copy of [iThe Life and Times of Cholera[/i] and turns it into a bookseller the next day and says that if he finds it... they were meant to be. Kind of a fun thought.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I just joined a book club and the next book is "The Reading Group" by Elizabeth Noble. Has anybody heard of this one?

I just finished reading The last lecture. I found it very inspirational!

I just finished "The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise" It was an ok read. I'm really starting to like historical novels. I found Josephine herself to be quite unlikable. The writing was a little bland - but the author is a biographer not a novelist. All in all it was an ok read.
    I think I might pick up the "The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette: A Novel" by the same author Carolly Erickson.
    I just opened "Dark Torte" by Diane Mott Davidson... I didn't realize it was part of a series. I'm about 3 chapters in and I'm liking it so far - chick lit mystery.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3234872;
    I just joined a book club and the next book is "The Reading Group" by Elizabeth Noble. Has anybody heard of this one?
    I've read that and it is good! It's a great choice for a book club. It follows a group of women through an entire year of book club meetings and it is very interesting how the "book of the month" seems to relate to something that is going on in at least one of their lives at the time. I bet you'll enjoy it.

Elizabeth Noble also wrote "Alphabet Weekends" which is a fun read as well.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Fogey

I spent the better part of the afternoon reading about 100 pages to finish The Best Day of Someone Else's Life. VeronicaBelle, your credibility to recommend books is safe with me! I really really enjoyed it. As I said earlier, I had a little trouble keeping track of who some of the characters were, because there were so many friends rotating in and out. But the ones who really really mattered were clear throughout. I'd say about half way through, it takes a very nice twist from standard chick-lit to just enough depth to be really heart warming. With any book in that genre, I think there can be a fine line between silly-cheesy and heart warming truism. This author seems to find exactly the right balance so that I was relating throughout rather than rolling my eyes.

And hands down, no doubt about it, the epilogue seals it as perfection!

+ Reply to Thread