+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 714 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137537 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

You all read such "deep" stuff that I am ashamed to tell what I read. I only read what makes me feel good. I want to enjoy it. I read romantic fiction. An author I love is LaVyrle Spencer. She retired a couple of years ago. I have all her books and reread them periodically. The Hellion was a favorite. We have been to several of the places she chose as the locale for the book. I love doing that. Another author I enjoy is Jan Karon. She wrote "The Mitford" series. Don't laugh if you haven't read them. They are hilarious.

I don't tend to read as much as I used to, but on and off:

The Lord of The Rings - JRR Tolkein

Jennifer Goverment - Max Berry

The Rincewind Trilogy - Terry Pratchett

Waiting..for the wolves Great Pyr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62
    I loved American Gods. I immediately went out and got Neverwhere and Good Omens (Which Neil Gaiman co-wrote with Terry Pratchard). Both were wonderful too. Good Omens has to be up there with Hitchhiker as one of the funniest books i've ever read.
    I too loved American Gods...it was all over the place, and I loved every place
    it went. Currently reading Greg Iles,Sleep No More, which I must say is, disturbing,uncomfortable, frightening and I'm afraid of how it might end..........in other words,excellent. I've read all of his books and besides
    the local color in most, they are all unique.
    Last edited by Great Pyr; 04-17-2004 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    A terrible beauty is born

The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson.

This is the new Repairman Jack novel. For the uninitiated, take one part X-Files, mix in a healthy dash of The Equalizer, set on bake, and you have The Repairman Jack Series.

I swear, this isn't as goofy of a combination as it sounds. For one reason, it's written at the adult level. (Honestly.)

For another reason, Wilson carries it off because he's a good writer--a really, really good writer. He makes the most absurd of plots sound plausible simply because he writes believable dialogue. (Switching, for example, from the conversation between two well-connected NYC politicos and their cadence of speech to two brothers from the Detroit projects and their cadence of speech.)

And based on how Wilson writes the characters' mannerisms and behavior, you have an easy time believing they are people you run into everyday.

The Repairman Jack series is perhaps the most overlooked gems in the book market right now.

Highest possible recommendation.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson.

This is the new Repairman Jack novel. For the uninitiated, take one part X-Files, mix in a healthy dash of The Equalizer, set on bake, and you have The Repairman Jack Series.

I swear, this isn't as goofy of a combination as it sounds. For one reason, it's written at the adult level. (Honestly.)

For another reason, Wilson carries it off because he's a good writer--a really, really good writer. He makes the most absurd of plots sound plausible simply because he writes believable dialogue. (Switching, for example, from the conversation between two well-connected NYC politicos and their cadence of speech to two brothers from the Detroit projects and their cadence of speech.)

And based on how Wilson writes the characters' mannerisms and behavior, you have an easy time believing they are people you run into everyday.

The Repairman Jack series is perhaps the most overlooked gems in the book market right now.

Highest possible recommendation.
    Phat, this is too strange. I was thinking of starting Jack thread when I wrote about Greg Ihles (not similar at all to Wilson). I think Jack is Wilson's
    best character period. The repairman vs the apocolypse..with a hot girlfriend. I love Repairman Jack, mundane and supernatural at the same time. Great suff and hard to explain to anyone who hasn't read one.
    Here...http://www.repairmanjack.com/index2.html
    Last edited by Great Pyr; 04-17-2004 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Pyr
    Phat, this is too strange. I was thinking of starting Jack thread when I wrote about Greg Ihles (not similar at all to Wilson). I think Jack is Wilson's best character period.
    Cool! (Sidenote: Hey, guess we'll have to populate the Playing It Straight thread, when/if that show ever starts up again.)

As for Wilson, I haven't read any of his other books aside from the Repairman Jack stuff. Any recommendations?

The repairman vs the apocolypse..with a hot girlfriend. I love Repairman Jack, mundane and supernatural at the same time.
    If you've read/are reading The Haunted Air, I like his take on poltergeists and poltergeist behavior.

Wait. I have a point. I'm leading to the fact that when he started in on that whole Ally vs. Other business, I rolled my eyes a little bit, although I do like his take on theology (well, as far as the series goes, anyway), even though, as a Protestant, I don't agree.

Wanna know what this reminds me of? Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Between Wizard & Glass and Wolves of the Calla, SK wrote a bunch of books (Hearts in Atlantis comes to mind automatically) that set out the conflict that Roland et.al. are embroiled in. For SK's purposes, it's "The Purpose vs. The Random." I think this is notable because we have two fine authors who are telling a Good vs. Eeevil story that doesn't use your basic concepts of "Good" (with a capital "G") and "eeevil."

Great suff and hard to explain to anyone who hasn't read one.
    Here...http://www.repairmanjack.com/index2.html
    It really, really is. And you sound crazy if you try. I don't remember the last time I read a book so finely written that made me laugh (at pop culture references), taught me something (about the Greek and Hebrew alphabets!), frighted me (with a stereotypical/non-stereotypical haunted house story), and made me appreciate the author's use of dialogue, setting and pace as much as Wilson and Repairman Jack.

Oh, and if you like RJ, you may also like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. Bosch and Jack have so many similarities, it's almost uncanny: Both are alienated, both like obscure old things (movies for Jack and early jazz for Bosch), and both do what they do because of dead mothers. Odd, no?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I always thought I was introduced to Jack through Nightworld, the last book in the Adversary Cycle (which The Tomb is part of). I just read them out of sequence. All of the books in that cycle can stand alone, but those 2 are the best. As you well know
    SK is Jack's #1 fan. I was so glad that Jack became independant. By the way you are 2 ahead of me. I need Gateways and Haunted Air and am heading to the bookstore this afternoon. Avoid the Rakoshi at all costs. Tom

Great Pyr, were you were aware that FPW browses the forum on the Repairman Jack Web site and responds to fans there? I'm really geeked about this.

Great Pyr, were you were aware that FPW browses the forum on the Repairman Jack Web site and responds to fans there? I'm really geeked about this.
    Like I said, I gotta catch up

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    My significant other found Shopaholic Takes Manhatten in her Easter basket. She seemed to really enjoy it. I'm currently looking for Shopaholic Ties the Knot on EBay so she'll have something to do while I browse the FoRT.
    Good choice phat. I've got to get the manhattan and ties the knot ones too. ebay is great for getting books...I have a giant stack of chick lit (+ one or two serious books) on my nightstand waiting for me. I got about 10 chick books for $8 plus shipping. And I got 3 brand new Candace Bushnell books including 1 hardback for $7.00 plus shipping. I'll never pay $20 for a new hardback again!
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

+ Reply to Thread