+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3229075;
    I just finished "The Best Day of Someone Else's Life" by Kathy Reichs(?)... It was awesome... In reading the synopsis on the back, you think it's just another chick-lit-about-weddings book (maybe why I bought it ) but it's deeper than that and amazingly well-written. So much so that all my dog-eared pages are not from errors, but for "I want to go back to that, it is SOOOO true" type of items. It really puts a great spin on the whole idea of marriage in our modern times.

A good deal of the beginning has you believing that it's an old-fashioned happily ever after, with a bunch of snippets about weddings and the frou-frou details we all love, but wait and see past some of the fluff. I really enjoyed this author's voice. She "sounds" so much like me. The fluff was just a bonus!

Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After finishing the Kite Runner over the weekend, and thinking I needed something a bit lighter for my next read, I started on this book at your recommendation. So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm having a little trouble keeping track of all the friends and supporting players, but I'm slowly getting the hang of that. Most of the reviews I've read say it kind of starts out slow but then really picks up. If that's the case, I'm expecting to really enjoy it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3231071;
    I finally read Stephen King's "Duma Key." I'd call it one of his better ones -- utterly spooky, more so than gory, and not one to be near the end of before you go to sleep. And also much more the work of a grownup than, say, Cujo was. It takes a while to get to the scary bits, but I definitely recommend it, if you like spooky stuff.
    I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not a horror fan and I dont' normally read a lot of King, but this was just more spooky like you said. I lived in that area, so one of the reasons I read it was for that. But it was a good book. I don't like gory.

I've been revisiting some of the classics this year. Right now I'm reading A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I still have the book from reading it as a freshman in HS. I honestly am still questioning why he's considered one of the great writers of the 20th century. It's not a horrible book, but his dialog is dull and really well, lame. I keep thinking that if I had turned in a paper written like that that I'd be graded fairly poorly.
    I'm mostly trying to get a feel for World War One for another project I'm working on or I probably wouldn't be reading it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Oh, Veruka, I feel so important!

After reading most of the "heavy" reading of my life early on, I am now in a phase (that's lasted a few years) of reading hardly anything weighty or classic or dramatic, just my chick-lit, and some mysteries and thrillers. I always feel a bit wonky posting about my latest reads here when most of the discussion is around more serious reads.

I hope your enjoying it and look forward to your post once you've finished!

Lucy and MRD: I was looking at Duma Key the other day in the store, I'll actually pick it up now, I was disappointed in the last few I picked up from King. I love Key West (lucky MRD for living in the area!!) and vacation there often. I read a mystery about diving and excavation a few years ago that took place there... Now I'm trying to remember the name of that one...
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 11-10-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Could does not mean should

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3231784;

After reading most of the "heavy" reading of my life early on, I am now in a phase (that's lasted a few years) of reading hardly anything weighty or classic or dramatic, just my chick-lit, and some mysteries and thrillers. I always feel a bit wonky posting about my latest reads here when most of the discussion is around more serious reads.
    I have found that I enjoy reading, and stick to it more, when I bounce back and forth between the heavy reads and the fluff. The heavy reads tend to inspire me. With a book like The Kite Runner, I find myself pushing to read more often, and make time to read, because I know if I let it sit too long, I'll forget details that are important, etc. So those sorts of books spark my passion. But they also exhaust me. That's why I mix in fluffy chick lit between some of them. It's kind of a like a light jog to keep in shape between training for marathons.

Speaking of The Kite Runner ... it has to be one of the most incredible books I've ever read. I'd put it right up there with To Kill a Mockingbird and The Curiuos Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It was just exquisite. It is fiction that provides a deeper understanding of how things work in that part of the world (Afghanistan). It is also an incredible examination of morals. And the chracter development in it is impecible. It is an amazing amazing amazing book. For a while, I knew the title but didn't know anything about it. Then I heard from a few friends that it was outstanding, and decided I should give it a try. Now, I'm a convert that thinks it should be required reading for all. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'll see the movie. I'm not sure that I want to risk ruining perfection. But as a book, it's one that everyone should read.

Im like you Veruka..I enjoy fluff reading, but I get a mix...when I go to the library I get a mix of both heavy reading and chick lit, and go back and forth...because after I read like a Jodi Picoult, then I need something fun and not so heavy
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Wow... It's been a while since I last visited (busy busy with school). Currently, I have a plethora of literature I'm plowing through. Book clubs, homework, and leisure. Here are three books that I am slowing working on finishing.

"If I Die in Juárez" by Stella Pope Duarte
    "This I Believe II" edited by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman <---The first one is amazing, too!
    "This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession" by Daniel Levitin
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3231784;
    Oh, Veruka, I feel so important!

I hope your enjoying it and look forward to your post once you've finished!

Lucy and MRD: I was looking at Duma Key the other day in the store, I'll actually pick it up now, I was disappointed in the last few I picked up from King. I love Key West (lucky MRD for living in the area!!) and vacation there often. I read a mystery about diving and excavation a few years ago that took place there... Now I'm trying to remember the name of that one...

While i did live in Key West for a time, Duma Key takes place on a barrier island off the coast of Sarasota Florida, a couple hundred miles North of the Florida Keys. But just as gorgeous. Well the area. There is no Duma Key, but the access to it in his book, Casey Key does exist and King owns a home there. My husband used to work on Casey Key and our engagement party was held at a home there. It is a very, beautiful island with gorgeous private beaches.

I'm not a huge King fan, because most of his stuff is kind of gory, but I did really enjoy this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3231683;
    Because I'm such a glutton for punishment, I've forbidden myself to buy any books until Christmas. I've got so many unerad books piling up at home it's ridiculous. Still hurts, though, and my "to read/buy" list just keeps getting more epic. Both of the novels you mention in your post are pretty high up on that list. Jane Green is great if you're in the mood for some light reading! She has another book out called The Beach House, which I'm dying to read as well.
    I know what you mean about having a budget! The only reason I have a bunch of books "on deck" right now is because I got them for free. The Jane Green book came from the used book store run my the friends of the local library. I think it was $3. They did have The Beach House too, so I may go back and get it too. I couldn't remember which of her books I had - they always change the covers - so I wanted to go home and check first. I made the mistake of buying The Other Woman twice!

I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. It was recommended by about 4 different people. Plus, it won the Pulitzer. So far, it's living up to the "hype."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Getting a library card has saved me so much money. I can read books, listen to audiobooks, and watch DVD's, all for free!

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3232032;
    Getting a library card has saved me so much money. I can read books, listen to audiobooks, and watch DVD's, all for free!
    I'd just end up spending my money on library fines instead! I rarely read a book as soon as a bring it home: it all depends on my mood.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread