+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3224546;
    I just finished "The Year of Fog" by Michelle Richmond. (Yes, finally. Took me forever to read but not because of the story.. only because I haven't devoted much time to a book lately.)

For all of the parents of young children... stay away, as this is the story of every parents' worst nightmare. But it is an oh so well-written novel about a woman that loses her fiance's 6 year old daughter after looking away for a split second, and the resulting search. The story is told from the heartbreaking perspective of the woman as she clings to hope and refuses to believe that the young girl has been killed. It's both emotional and yet full of the "devoid of emotion" numbness that I can only imagine that anyone going through this nightmare would endure.
    I felt the same way when I read it - I refused to pass it on to my sister because it is every parents worse fear; but the story is very well written and told very realistically. I am very glad that I read it but I felt paranoid for quite awhile whenever my niece was visiting with me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just picked up The Year of The Fog because of the suggestion...so Ill let you know when I read it, I dont have children...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3224627;
    Broadway, the plot / premise of the book sounds similar to that of The Deep End of the Ocean. Did you ever read that one and can you compare the 2? Thanks
    Unfortunately I did not read The Deep End of the Ocean. I did see part of the movie (I know... there can be a HUGE difference) and from my limited viewpoint the only comparison that I would make would be in the shared guilt that the women feel and the difficulties that subsequently arise in their interpersonal relationships.

Sorry.. I wish I could help more.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3225441;
    Unfortunately I did not read The Deep End of the Ocean. I did see part of the movie (I know... there can be a HUGE difference) and from my limited viewpoint the only comparison that I would make would be in the shared guilt that the women feel and the difficulties that subsequently arise in their interpersonal relationships.

Sorry.. I wish I could help more.
    Thanks for responding. Others have chimed in on the book, so I may have to put it on my list.

My tastes in reading is all over the board as you can tell by what I've read/what Im going to read. I just finished sTORI Telling by Tori Spelling. I am currently reading Why Is God Laughing by Deepak Chopra. After that I have Audacity of Hope by Barak Obama on standby I read Dreams of my Father and LOVED it, so thought I would try that one.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I'm enjoying Left to Die by Lisa Jackson (a suspenseful gross whodunit-with some more gross added to it) I started it last night and almost didn't want to put it down. She is able to capture and portray feelings and emotions. Did I mention that it is full of suspense and is also gross?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3225756;
    I'm enjoying Left to Die by Lisa Jackson (a suspenseful gross whodunit-with some more gross added to it) I started it last night and almost didn't want to put it down. She is able to capture and portray feelings and emotions. Did I mention that it is full of suspense and is also gross?
    No, do tell, is it gross???

Didn't someone on here sometime, mention Heather Graham? I've just read 3 of her books. They were interesting, not great literature or anything, but were a fun read. I like the fact that the ghosts help her solve the mystery.

I am at the place that every avid reader dreads: I am out of books. I have nothing in the house to read. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep tonight as my nightly ritual is to read for at least half an hour before going to sleep.
    And I can't even re-read something as the books are still packed from the move.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3226013;
    I am at the place that every avid reader dreads: I am out of books. I have nothing in the house to read. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep tonight as my nightly ritual is to read for at least half an hour before going to sleep.
    And I can't even re-read something as the books are still packed from the move.
    Oh, I was there until about 8 hours ago. Now I have Jodi Picoult's Salem Falls. My first time reading her stuff. Hard to put down, so far.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3226139;
    Oh, I was there until about 8 hours ago. Now I have Jodi Picoult's Salem Falls. My first time reading her stuff. Hard to put down, so far.
    Salem Falls may have been one of my favorites of hers...the first one I read was My Sisters Keeper and while good, it may be my least favorite...I just read Vanishing Act and it was alright...but Salem Falls is high on my list of picoults!

Im reading "size 12 isnt fat" by Meg Cabot..I can tell its not gonna be as good as queen of babble (which I LOVED) but still good enough.

I dont think Ive ever been out of books lol I always have a pile from the library and I restock before I run out lol and if I do run out I have about 3 that I bought cheap at yard sales and stuff that I can read.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

MRD

THis is probably the first time I've run out in years. I usually always checkout 8-10 books and have paperbacks on hand too, but have been so busy with moving and working and various other things and need to find a closer library branch to the new house and get my other books unpacked as I need to re-read "A Farewell to Arms" again soon for something.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread