+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3215056;
    ^ I didn't know you were originally from Hamilton, AJane.

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Historian. It's pretty good; I like how the story is told from a number of perspectives and from a number of different time periods.
    I'm not. Hamilton House is a Winnipeg landmark with an odd history - back in the '30's, a medical doctor who dabbled in psychic research lived there and conducted seances. The novel that my brother's friend wrote discusses some of that history (apparently it was her master's thesis topic) but the main plot is a sad love story with a twist.

I enjoyed The Historian as well. I did get a bit tired of the long narrative passages, though - I had to read it in small doses. It took me somewhat longer to read it than I usually take to finish a book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, don't you love it when you can really visualize the places mentioned in books? I've read a couple that take place in Southern California and I always get jazzed when I can think "I've driven down that freeway!"
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

I like that feeling too. Recently read Duma Key by Stephen King and knew everyplace he talked about (except Duma as that's fictional, but the other landmarks and stuff were real).
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3215295;
    I'm not. Hamilton House is a Winnipeg landmark with an odd history - back in the '30's, a medical doctor who dabbled in psychic research lived there and conducted seances. The novel that my brother's friend wrote discusses some of that history (apparently it was her master's thesis topic) but the main plot is a sad love story with a twist.
    Thanks for enlightening me, AJane.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Currently reading a book titled "Unleashed" by Kristopher Reisz. Although it is a 'young adult' book (and I'm neither young nor adult!), it's pretty good and I'm enjoying it.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Last week, I got On Borrowed Wings by Chandra Prasad at the library because the cover caught my attention. I finally picked it up last night and couldn't put it down until I'd finished. The story of Adele, who went to Yale disguised as her brother, sucked me in. It's an intriguing coming of age story, well worth the read.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

The latest John Grisham, The Appeal. It's very interesting and topical. A chemical company in Mississippi has been illegally dumping its toxic waste for decades resulting in an inordinate amount of cancer deaths in the community. Husband & wife legal team win a $41 million lawsuit against them. The chemical company's unscrupulous billionaire owner seeks to exact his own form of justice in appealing the ruling, trying to install a new Supreme Court justice in Mississippi and, in so doing, have an elected official who is more "sympathetic" to big business and will overturn the verdict.
    There are just so many parallels that can be made with the current election - very thought provoking.

Our next book club book is Tully..havent ever heard of it..should be interesting
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I'm nearly finished and just bought it a couple of days ago. I'm passing it on to my son as soon as I'm done.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Regular

My next book group book is Loving Frank, which I hope to buy this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread