+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I finally started The Kite Runner over the weekend. I've heard so many good things about it from so many people that I'm really excited about it.

Im reading this chick lit book called "the next big thing" its so so so good!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Just finished My Friend Flicka for a book club. Had never read it before, or even seen the movie!

MRD

Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote.

FABULOUS book. Loved it. It combines the life of a very interesting and unique dog with some dog history, psychology, etc.

It was truly one of those books that I felt was one I'd own and read again. It was a very deep and thought provoking book as well as highly entertaining.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3209994;
    I took a break from The time travelers wife because I need to read jitterbug perfume by Tom Robbins for my book club...has anyone read it?
    I love Tom Robbins's books - but you have to realize he's very random and not count too much on the actual story line. I love his use of language and thought-provoking ideas. Jitterbug Perfume has a lot of characters over a long period of time, so just go with the flow. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues is my favorite.
    Count your blessings!

The Buenos Aires Broken Hearts Club ~ Jessica Morrison

It's a fun read so far... you can read an excerpt here.

The Buenos Aires Broken Hearts Club - Budget Travel
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I loved her debut novel, The House at Riverton, and this is more of the same, blissfully Anglophilic stuff. Mysterious mansion in the countryside, a plot that stretches from Victorian London to present day Australia and England, plenty of secrets and a slightly Gothic feel (the Rebecca vibes I got from Morton's last novel are missing here, though, but part of the story DOES take place in Daphne du Maurier country, which is nice )... a big warm blanket of a book to curl up with on the sofa on a rainy autumn night. I adore these types of novels.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My brother's friend wrote a book, Widows of Hamilton House, and he brought me a copy last week. I definitely see a big Margaret Laurence influence on the author's style, which is no bad thing. I love it because it's set in my hometown, and she references a ton of familiar landmarks. It's making me homesick, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

^ I didn't know you were originally from Hamilton, AJane.

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Historian. It's pretty good; I like how the story is told from a number of perspectives and from a number of different time periods.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3215056;
    ^ I didn't know you were originally from Hamilton, AJane.

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Historian. It's pretty good; I like how the story is told from a number of perspectives and from a number of different time periods.
    It's a good book isn't it? I like how it had the different time periods as well.

I may even go buy that book. I checked it out from the library and I really liked it.

I'm reading a book called The 7 Deadly Wonders. It started out really stupid, but I stuck with it and I'm glad now. It's been good. Not great, but it has been interesting.
    It's a Da Vinci Code type book that includes the 7 ancient wonders of the world and Egyptian Sun Worship. I can't remember the author but he's Australian.

It's a light read and kind of fun, if you pass over say the first 50 pages which were kind of stupid. But the historical aspect of it been's interesting.

ETA: His name is Matthew Reilly
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread