+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I took a break from The time travelers wife because I need to read jitterbug perfume by Tom Robbins for my book club...has anyone read it?
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. The blurb on the cover likens it to Steel Magnolias in Manhattan.
    I really enjoyed the book! A group of women from all walks of life, their interactions with each other and their respective lives.

I don't read any of Oprah's selections because they are always so heavy and... well.. sad. Would it kill her to choose an uplifting, fun read? sheesh
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3210006;
    I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. The blurb on the cover likens it to Steel Magnolias in Manhattan.
    I really enjoyed the book! A group of women from all walks of life, their interactions with each other and their respective lives.

I don't read any of Oprah's selections because they are always so heavy and... well.. sad. Would it kill her to choose an uplifting, fun read? sheesh
    Finally SOMEONE else that feels like I do. Everyone I know falls all over Oprah's book picks. I've tried to read a few, but like you said, they are heavy and sad. I need uplifting books occasionally because sad ones depress me.
    My feeling is that she thinks it can't be a good piece of literature unless it's all heavy, angst filled and sad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3211131;
    Finally SOMEONE else that feels like I do. Everyone I know falls all over Oprah's book picks. I've tried to read a few, but like you said, they are heavy and sad. I need uplifting books occasionally because sad ones depress me.
    My feeling is that she thinks it can't be a good piece of literature unless it's all heavy, angst filled and sad.
    Heh...I was trying to think of one of her book selections that wasn't, well, a downer. Here's a list of her book club selections, from her website:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
    A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

Night by Elie Wiesel

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
    Light in August by William Faulkner
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Sula by Toni Morrison
    Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
    The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
    Cane River by Lalita Tademy
    Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir
    Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
    We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
    Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
    Open House by Elizabeth Berg
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
    While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
    Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
    Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
    Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
    River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke
    Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
    Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
    Jewel by Bret Lott

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
    What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
    I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
    Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
    Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen
    Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
    Paradiseby Toni Morrison

The Best Way To Play by Bill Cosby
    The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby
    The Meanest Thing To Say by Bill Cosby
    A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
    Songs In Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris
    The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou
    The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
    Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton
    Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Complete List of Oprah's Book Club Books

In all fairness, I haven't read that many of these books, and I can only say that Tara Road is not too sad. I do love We Were The Mulvaneys (but I'm a fan of most of Joyce Carol Oates' work) and even if A Million Little Pieces wasn't a true memoir, it's an interesting piece of work and is worth a read, IMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

There are certainly some downers on that list, some of which I read, but also some of my favorite books: Poisonwood Bible, We Were the Mulvaneys, Middlesex, The Good Earth, Pillars of the Earth, Back Roads. I think overall, Oprah did the world of books a favor with many of her choices and most choices on this list are certainly not a waste of time to read.

It was interesting to look at Oprah's book club selections. Wow, did she really pick Anna Karenina? And then One hundred years of Solitude that same year. Wonderful literature no doubt about it, but yes, heavy, IMO. I was kind of surprised to see she had picked Open House by Elizabeth Berg, mostly because I've actually read that one, and liked it, and don't think it's heavy at all .

I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, which I now find is another Oprah book club selection . I loved the Virgin Suicides which I read several years ago, but I never got around to reading this one, and now I'm glad I finally did. I'm really liking it so far. Next up Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Haven't read this one but seen really good reviews for it here, so I'm looking forward to it.

Breast Cancer Awareness! Passepartout's Avatar

Journey Monthly Devotions that are from Southern Baptist for women!
    Breast Cancer Awareness!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;3211431;
    It was interesting to look at Oprah's book club selections. Wow, did she really pick Anna Karenina? And then One hundred years of Solitude that same year. Wonderful literature no doubt about it, but yes, heavy, IMO. I was kind of surprised to see she had picked Open House by Elizabeth Berg, mostly because I've actually read that one, and liked it, and don't think it's heavy at all .
    The year that she picked Anna Karenina and One Hundred Years of Solitude was the year that she decided she was tired of having publishers use her to hock new authors, and was going to go with classics that people should have read in literature classes.

Overtime, I think her book selections have balanced out with some good ones - even uplifting or inspirational. But when she picks a downer, man is it a DOWNER. I can remember way back when reading The Book of Ruth followed immediately by She's Come Undone, and at that point, I was convinced that there was not a single book ever written on earth anymore intended for adults that would not lead all readers to suicide. Those came from the "imagine the absolute most horrendous life you can imagine, and write about it" challenge.

I'd have to add A Lesson Before Dying as a book she selected that I really, really enjoyed. Where the Heart Is too. To this day, it just warms my heart and makes me giggle to think about "the book about the pregnant girl who lived in Wal Mart".

MRD

Well that's interesting that she is now choosing classics to keep publishers from using her. Many of those, I did read for literature classes.

I loved Pillars of the Earth and read it when it first came out. Which reminds me that there is a sequel to it that's been out a while and I haven't read it. As I recall, Pillars wasn't too much of a downer and was really interesting.

I've also read all of Maeve Binchy's books and loved them.

Well looking at her list, she has chosen some good books, but some very heavy ones as well which makes me agree with Veruka about choosing books that would make all readers contemplate suicide.

i don't mind a heavy book occasionally, but too many deep, dark, "meaningful" books close together do make me depressed. Which is why I had to follow up Stephen King's Duma Key with a light hearted Sophie Kinsella.

Boy, 2005 was a Faulkner year. I have trouble with Faulkner. Great author, but his writing tends to bog down sometimes. There are periods of greatness followed by slogging through many paragraphs of minute detail and almost inertia. I like my books to "flow". Faulkner flows and ebbs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

At this moment I'm definately not reading anything sad or thought provoking. Up Until Now - William Shatner's autobiography
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread