+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3203288;
    Jennifer Crusie is definitely a tough read. But I always enjoy reading them strictly for the smart, sassy dialogue that she provides to the lead character and I end up laughing hysterically throughout. Bet Me had those gut-busting moments but I feel your pain. If you're not enjoying it... stop. You won't be missing anything.
    I do like a lot of different styles of books, but I have come to enjoy a lot of chick lit books because they do have those gut busting moments, and sometimes...especially after Ive read like Joy Fielding or Jodi Picoult, and I need something lighter and more fun, I always have a chick lit book to make me laugh
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Right now I'm reading a book I borrowed from my sister - right up the Reality TV alley! It's called "Lost and Found" by Carolyn Parkhurst. Contestants taking part in a Reality TV show that is a combination (IMO) of The Amazing Race and a scavenger hunt. Pretty good read; nothing deep or meaningful (at least not yet) but entertaining.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

FORT Regular

Just finished The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. . . very interesting, won the Pulitzer Prize. If you want to know more about the Dominican Republic, this is the book for you. There were parts I didn't like but the ending was worth waiting for.

Prior to that, I read The Tender Bar, which I posted earlier. A great non-fiction memoir about growing up in a Manhasset (NY) pub. I really enjoyed this book.

Now, on to the Whistling Season by Ivan Doig for my book group selection. We're also going to read Loving Frank.

Im reading The Time Travelers Wife and another one Im having a hard time getting into..the jumping around kind of confuses me, and it feels like a bunch of little stories in different times instead of one connected story..

but its going to be a movie, and I always want to read the book first...so Ill finish it.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fogey

I just finished reading The Shack. It's a fictional book which is one of the latest in the faith-based "must read" book trends that pop up from time to time. My sister had raved that it was a book she just couldn't put down, so my curiosity got the best of me. I enjoyed it. I can't say it was the greatest book I've ever read, but it was very enjoyable, and creative. In short, its about a man who suffers tremendous tragedy in his life, starts to really question God and the relationship he has with Him, and is then invited to spend a weekend with God in a shack in the woods. It had a really thought provoking take on reconciling the stuggles people often have of understanding tragedy at the "hand" of God. It's not the kind of book that would be for everyone, but as those "trend" books go, it was well done.

Nickled and Dimed. I will have my thoughts later, but so far this book is so true and good.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3203288;
    Jennifer Crusie is definitely a tough read. But I always enjoy reading them strictly for the smart, sassy dialogue that she provides to the lead character and I end up laughing hysterically throughout. Bet Me had those gut-busting moments but I feel your pain. If you're not enjoying it... stop. You won't be missing anything.
    That's why I enjoy her. I usually read her or something similar when I've finished a biography or other history or non-fiction where I've had to really think. I like her work because I can just read and not have to think and sometimes, I'm shallow enough to want to just be entertained and not learn a DAMN thing. Agnes and the Hitman was truly funny. Not great literature. Not even good literature. But genuinely funny.

I just finished Stephen King's Duma Key. I don't read a lot of King as I don't do horror. But this one isn't so much horror. It was interesting as I lived in that area and like reading about local things. My husband used to work on the key that King's house was on and I've seen his house many times. My husband used to see him driving up and down the road in his car. Duma Key is fictional, but in the book you access it from Casey Key where King's house is.
    ANYWAY. I liked it. It was a good read, suspenseful and not overly gross or too horrifying.
    I also felt like some of it was his finally coming to terms with his own car accident from years ago. I felt that the stuff he described about the aftermath of the accident, his feelings, the pain, his relating to other people just seemed too real, like maybe that is what he want through personally and finally poured all that out on paper.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've finished Nickled and Dimed and will probably read it again. I have either done things that she did or was close enough to see, except the Wal-Mart thing. I did work as a Building Services Manager and then as Operations Manager for an upscale retailer in Milwaukee and all of our benefits were good, and the pay was not bad either. But this was the mid 70's to mid 80's, when my pay started at $2.50 an hour and I think I was earning something like $8.00 an hour when I was phased out in 1986. But my standard of living wasn't too shabby. It was after that, when prices and rents really started skyrocketing.

But her takes on these positions is pretty accurate, especially with the hotel restaurants, housekeeping etc.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Regular

Nickeled and Dimed and the Time Travelers Wife are two of my favorite books and they couldn't be more different. It will be interesting to see how they adapt the latter for a movie. I should re-read it since it's been several years.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3206861;
    I've finished Nickled and Dimed and will probably read it again. I have either done things that she did or was close enough to see, except the Wal-Mart thing. I did work as a Building Services Manager and then as Operations Manager for an upscale retailer in Milwaukee and all of our benefits were good, and the pay was not bad either. But this was the mid 70's to mid 80's, when my pay started at $2.50 an hour and I think I was earning something like $8.00 an hour when I was phased out in 1986. But my standard of living wasn't too shabby. It was after that, when prices and rents really started skyrocketing.

But her takes on these positions is pretty accurate, especially with the hotel restaurants, housekeeping etc.

I just got this book and am going to read it tonight! I'm excited, everyone seems to really like it.

+ Reply to Thread