+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3201250;
    AJane,

No, it hasn't been released in paperback here in the States yet, either. I can't even find a release date on the Scholastic website. You can get it here in Spanish, however. How fluent are you? Hee

But it was released in the UK and you can get it on amazon.co.uk. I wonder if Canada gets their printing from Scholastic as well instead of the UK distributor?
    My Spanish, I confess, is pretty weak. You can only learn so much from Dora the Explorer.

Canada doesn't get the Scholastic editions. My daughter had a Canadian copy of Half-Blood Prince and my MIL, not realizing that, bought her a U.S. edition of the same book. It had a completely different cover and I noticed right away it was printed by Scholastic. The Canadian printer is Raincoast.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3201531;
    Geek the girl Who is that in your avatar? It looks like BOB from Twin Peaks on the left, but the I have no idea who the guy on the right is.
    That's BOB on the left and Agent Cooper's Shadow Self on the right. It's a screencap from the series finale where Cooper enters the Black Lodge. I freak out whenever I see my avatar, so it's very therapeutic.

Not related to what I'm reading right now, but: Oprah announced her 62nd book club choice today. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Has anyone read it? It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while since it keeps showing up among books and authors I like. Now I'll definitely read it. I've read and enjoyed most of Oprah's picks, and when I heard that The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is loosely built on Hamlet, I really wanted to check it out. I ordered it today and will look forward to reading it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Little Earthquakes got better as it went on and

Click to see Spoiler:
    I was happy everyone stayed together at the end, and everyone was happy. I didnt like Kelly and I didnt think she was fair to her husband, so I liked it when she explained why
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3201430;
    Really? I devoured it in one or two sittings, I seem to recall. It's not as immediately engrossing as Good in Bed, I'll give you that, but it's the Jennifer Weiner novel I've re-read the most (I tend to re-read my books a lot...) and that, I think, goes to show that she's nailed this one. The characterization is excellent, same thing with the language; as far as I'm concerned, Jennifer Weiner is one of the, if not THE, most talented chick lit writers out there. Let us know how your reading goes, srs_in_Oregon.

Speaking of Jennifer Weiner, what do people think about her latest effort, Certain Girls?
    It was a good book, but I cried. I don't like books that make me cry.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3202476;
    It was a good book, but I cried. I don't like books that make me cry.
    Oh, I cried too, and probably for the very same reason as you. I love books that make me cry - does that make me a masochist?

I'm very psyched. Our book club met yesterday and we will be reading "Easy Innocence" by Libby Fischer Hellmann. Looks like a book that is right up my alley . But the best part is LFH lives in Chicago, which is not too far away, and she will be joining our meeting when we discuss the book. Definitely should make for a phenominal discussion. Not to mention, how awesome is it of her to make the trip? We're a small group (we average maybe 10-12) and we meet in a mystery book store (the store itself isn't a mystery, it sells only mysteries ) I'll admit to loving Barnes & Noble too, but there is just something special about the independents the big chains don't have. It's nice when they get the support.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

FORT Regular

Has anyone read/heard of the new Oprah book?

There is something interesting about jennifer Wiener...I dont find myself craving her books like I do some, and sometimes I wonder why I again read another one...but then I find myself picking up yet another one..so there must be something addicting in there that keeps me reading...this time I picked up "Good In bed.

Right now though, Im reading this other chick lit book called "Bet Me" by Jennifer Cruisie..I keep hoping it will get better, because its not holding my interest right now...but Im halfway through and while a part of me would just rather stop reading and try something else, the other half of me says...what a waste of reading time to only get halfway, and not finish...so Ill probably finish but eh...Im not impressed.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3202677;
    Has anyone read/heard of the new Oprah book?
    It's been on my tentative To Read list for quite a while now, so I took the plunge and ordered it the other day (it might have been the same day Oprah announced it). I love how it's a modern take on Hamlet (theme-wise) and look forward to reading it. On paper, it looks almost too ambitious to quite work, what with the Hamlet references, coming-of-age story and overall epic feel, but I luurve a good epic novel and have enjoyed all of the past Oprah's Book Club choices, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll start a thread for it once I've started reading in case anyone's interested in discussing The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3202750;
    Right now though, Im reading this other chick lit book called "Bet Me" by Jennifer Cruisie..I keep hoping it will get better, because its not holding my interest right now...but Im halfway through and while a part of me would just rather stop reading and try something else, the other half of me says...what a waste of reading time to only get halfway, and not finish...so Ill probably finish but eh...Im not impressed.
    Jennifer Crusie is definitely a tough read. But I always enjoy reading them strictly for the smart, sassy dialogue that she provides to the lead character and I end up laughing hysterically throughout. Bet Me had those gut-busting moments but I feel your pain. If you're not enjoying it... stop. You won't be missing anything.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread