+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Mercy by Jodi Picoult. As always, I'm impressed with how Picoult manages to discuss heavy topics (in this case, euthanasia) while still being immensely readable. She's the queen of the ethical page turner in my book.

Has anyone had the chance to read her latest novel, Change of Heart, by the way? I ordered it online as soon as it was out but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I tend to read several Jodi Picoults in one intense phase, for some reason.

Any fans of contemporary French fiction out there, incidentally? I just finished reading the latest novel from Nina Bouraoui, Avant les hommes (don't think it's out in English yet). At 62 mesmerizing pages, it is a deeply intense, poetical, almost stream of consciousness-like look into the mind of an adolescent boy who spends one long, hot summer smoking pot and lusting after a male classmate. Powerful stuff! If you feel like a more intellectual, challenging read, I highly recommend Nina Bouraoui.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Yesterday I was reading about David Foster Wallace's death and wondered if anyone here had read Infinite Jest. I want to read it but there's 28 holds on it at the library. I've had a Chapters/Indigo discount card since May which has saved me a bundle in the past few months so I'm not adverse to buying it - any reviews/critiques?

Can I also ask all the readers here in the U.S. if the last Harry Potter book, Deathly Hallows, has been released in paperback there? I'm really frustrated because the Canadian release date was supposed to be July 2008, but Chapters/Indigo here in Canada doesn't have it. I asked a store clerk and she couldn't even find info on when it was going to arrive in paperback. I'm also looking for the latest in the Dexter series, Dexter By Design, and the stores here don't have it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Madame de Pompadour: Mistress of France by Christine Pevitt Algrant.

Im reading "little earthquakes" by Jennifer Wiener..Im on page 48 and having a bit of trouble getting into it...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3201105;
    Im reading "little earthquakes" by Jennifer Wiener..Im on page 48 and having a bit of trouble getting into it...
    I kind of went back and forth on that one. I enjoyed it enough to keep reading, but never really felt totally captivated loving any of the characters. I'm glad I finished it, but I didn't go racing out to loan it to the next person i oculd think of.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3200112;
    Can I also ask all the readers here in the U.S. if the last Harry Potter book, Deathly Hallows, has been released in paperback there? I'm really frustrated because the Canadian release date was supposed to be July 2008, but Chapters/Indigo here in Canada doesn't have it. I asked a store clerk and she couldn't even find info on when it was going to arrive in paperback.
    AJane,

No, it hasn't been released in paperback here in the States yet, either. I can't even find a release date on the Scholastic website. You can get it here in Spanish, however. How fluent are you? Hee

But it was released in the UK and you can get it on amazon.co.uk. I wonder if Canada gets their printing from Scholastic as well instead of the UK distributor?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3201158;
    I kind of went back and forth on that one. I enjoyed it enough to keep reading, but never really felt totally captivated loving any of the characters. I'm glad I finished it, but I didn't go racing out to loan it to the next person i oculd think of.
    yeah Ill most likely finish it, but im not getting through it as quickly as I would like lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I am reading The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury. Its fascinating and action packed. Here's a link for more info.Raymond Khoury - The Books - The Sanctuary

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3201105;
    Really? I devoured it in one or two sittings, I seem to recall. It's not as immediately engrossing as Good in Bed, I'll give you that, but it's the Jennifer Weiner novel I've re-read the most (I tend to re-read my books a lot...) and that, I think, goes to show that she's nailed this one. The characterization is excellent, same thing with the language; as far as I'm concerned, Jennifer Weiner is one of the, if not THE, most talented chick lit writers out there. Let us know how your reading goes, srs_in_Oregon.

Speaking of Jennifer Weiner, what do people think about her latest effort, Certain Girls?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek the girl Who is that in your avatar? It looks like BOB from Twin Peaks on the left, but the I have no idea who the guy on the right is.

I'm Reading The Corner: A Year In the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood by David Simon and Edward Burns. It's an excellent book about the drug culture in Baltimore. It was written by the same guys who produced The Wire on HBO. I've been going through major Wire withdrawal lately, and this helping me cope.

+ Reply to Thread