+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3194396;
    I'm an avid reader and avid reader of this thread so I finally decided to jump in to post. First, I didn't care for Suite franšaise, either, and it was so highly reviewed. The second story was more engaging than the first, but overall, this book just didn't click with me. Second, Sister Mine was my favorite book of the summer; the combination of tough, sweet and cool is a delicious read. Also recently finished Eat Pray Love, which was very interesting although a bit self-obsessed. I'm currently reading a memoir called The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer. Great book.
    Welcome to the What Are You Reading thread, obsession57!

I just finished The World According to Mimi Smartypants which was a light, fun read. It's a collection of her online diaries.

I'm almost finished with The Virgin's Lover by Phillipa Gregory. The book is good, but not as captivating as her previous books in the series. None of the characters are that likeable, so I'm not as emotionally involved. Queen Elizabeth and Robert Dudley seem like flighty, power-hungry dimwits. Robert's wife, Amy, should be a sympathetic character, but she's kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3194353;
    Critical, if you really enjoyed Sister Mine, and find Coal Run a little sadder and not as good, definitely give her first book - Back Roads - a try. I feel like Tawni O'Dell wrote Sister Mine and Back Roads as a tribute to the people she enjoyed so much growing up in western PA, and wrote Coal Run to get out her anger at some of the hardships and problems faced by people in that region.
    You know what? I just realized I am reading Back Roads, not Coal Run I bought them both at the same time and wasn't paying attention to the titles when I picked the first one to read. I'm not finding it to very uplifting, so I can't imagine how much of a downer Coal Run must be. Still, the prose is lovely and I'm having a hard time putting it down at the end of my lunch break (the only uninterrupted reading time I get lately).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3195382;
    You know what? I just realized I am reading Back Roads, not Coal Run I bought them both at the same time and wasn't paying attention to the titles when I picked the first one to read. I'm not finding it to very uplifting, so I can't imagine how much of a downer Coal Run must be. Still, the prose is lovely and I'm having a hard time putting it down at the end of my lunch break (the only uninterrupted reading time I get lately).

I have to admit that Back Roads I read so many years ago that I don't remember it as vivdly as I do the other two. From my recollection, I do agree that the subject matter is sadder and more of a downer in comparison to Sister Mine. But I remember really caring about the characters and caring about their journey which is what I liked so much. As I said, it was more of a love letter to the people of that region of the country. I can't say I didn't like the characters in Coal Run, but it just kind of felt like I was supposed to enjoy wallowing in their misery.

Princess Louise: Queen Victoria's Unconventional Daughter by Jehanne Wake.

I just started "Children of God" by Mary Doria Russel. I'm only about 40 pages in, but I'm already really liking it. We're reading it in my book group, so I haven't read the first book..."The Sparrow"...but I'm already wanting to go back and read that. Which of course will mess with my cardinal rule of reading in order, but...
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

That's a fantastic book, Katy! I actually liked The Sparrow a bit more, but I know others who enjoyed book 2 more. I found myself thinking about it long after I had read it. It made me look at religion and class and race very differently. I thought they were beautifully written and thought-provoking.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;3194399;
    I LOVED that book! So jealous that you are reading it for the first time.

Right now I am in the middle of three books:
    1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    2. Whatever You Do, Don't Run (memoirs from an African guide)
    3. The Emperor's Children
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Hunter S. Thompson. I think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has one of the best opening lines EVER:

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

I knew from reading him in Rolling Stone that when I read that first sentence of F&L that I would be HOOKED. It was a wild and crazy ride reading that book. Too bad the movie version with Johnny Depp was so horrible.

GONZO Journalism. Thompson was a master.

I'm currently reading a book so mindless that I don't even know the name of it. I have just come off a huge history binge and just needed something I didn't have to think about and this book fits well. I can read and not care what I'm reading and not remember what I just read. And sometimes, I really need that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just got a Sony Reader (gift) so I am enjoying reading everyone's book selections to download. I hope I get the hang of it! I just picked up the new Kathy Reich Book at Costco (darn-could have downloaded it for cheaper) and I hope it is as good as her others.

I'm about 100 pages into Acqua Alta by Donna Leon. It's a Commissario Guido Brunetti mystery. A friend of mine loaned it to me and I'm really enjoying it. It's a mystery set in Venice where a woman - an art expert - has been asaulted and Brunetti sets out to find out why and whodunnit. Nice, light and a bit intellectual, but not too much, since I wanted to "clear my palate" with something that wasn't too dense.

Next up is Robert Hughes' autobiography, Things I Didn't Know. He's a well-known art critic/writer and a well-known s.o.b., but also a great writer. Should be a good one.

I am reading "the choice" by nicholas sparks. My book club is reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins..but I havent started it yet, I read it about a month before we meet because I read so fast I want it to be fresh on my mind
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread