+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3166259;
    Well, it's been awhile since I read this, but I remember enjoying the book and I do feel that she tied things up very nicely - at least to my satisfaction. It all happens quickly toward the end, but I liked the ending. Hope you do as well!
    I finished Sister Mine today, and I'd agree with you that things were tied up nicely. With Coal Run, I felt like she went down all these roads for no reason, and then just quit writing. With Sister Mine, I kept wondering why various characters had been introduced, but in the end, they all made sense.

I mentioned upthread that to me, a good book is defined by missing those characters after you finish the book. I found myself in this mental struggle today as I realized I only had a few chapters left. Part of me wanted to sit down and finish the book, and part of me wanted to avoid doing that so I could keep the characters in my life just a little bit longer. I read in the authors notes that she originally intended to write about the 5 miners who survived the mine collapse -- all of whom were a piece of this book. I don't expect that she ever will, but part of me wishes she'd go back to that draft and give us a second book about those 5.

MRD

I just hit the history book jackpot today. I picked up Churchill's 6 volume set of the history of the 2nd World War AND his 4 volume History of the English speaking people AND 3 books on the history of aviation in the military and the history of The Airborne units all for $15. They were all in one box at the flea market and I got the entire box for $15 and literally ran to the car to hide them. I got online and the Churchill books are selling from anywhere from $70 to $400 for the complete hardback sets. I have had Churchill's 2nd World War books on my wish list for 2 years and could never justify the cost of buying them. I have them ALL stacked up in bed along with a borrowed copy of the history of Civil War food and South Carolina: A History. I have been flipping around between all the books and had the best afternoon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Im reading this book called "the undomestic goddess" it is hilarious..its easy reading, but definitely a good read its by Sophie Kinsella
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3174926;
    I just hit the history book jackpot today. I picked up Churchill's 6 volume set of the history of the 2nd World War AND his 4 volume History of the English speaking people AND 3 books on the history of aviation in the military and the history of The Airborne units all for $15. They were all in one box at the flea market and I got the entire box for $15 and literally ran to the car to hide them. I got online and the Churchill books are selling from anywhere from $70 to $400 for the complete hardback sets. I have had Churchill's 2nd World War books on my wish list for 2 years and could never justify the cost of buying them. I have them ALL stacked up in bed along with a borrowed copy of the history of Civil War food and South Carolina: A History. I have been flipping around between all the books and had the best afternoon.
    Wow, that is quite the jackpot. I've seen those books on eBay for a lot more than $15!

I'm about halfway through Water For Elephants, and I love it! I'm trying to read it more slowly because I don't want it to end.

I just picked up "charleys web" at the library off the new books shelf, it looked interesting, so I thought Id give it a try..Im always leery about going to the library and just picking up a book without doing some digging to make sure that im going to enjoy it..usually before I go to the library, and make a list...do some research online about authors that I enjoy..skip around etc, so we'll see how taking a chance and just picking it up off the shelf does me.

I enjoyed water and elephants very much, it was my book clubs book and I thought the storytelling was wonderful, she managed to tell the story in a way that is lacking these days.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

for some reason I dont see an edit button?

anyways, Charley's Web was AMAZING! really really enjoyed it..it has a twist at the end, and i didnt want to put it down.

Now Im reading "The year Of living biblically" about the man who lived within reason, to everything in the bible for a year...including growing his hair out, wearing a robe etc..

Sex in History by Reay Tannahill... older book I picked up at a thrift store, pretty interesting stuff so far! Anyways, after spending hours wandering the University library, my reading list is up to probably several hundred at least that I really want to read.

I just this minute finished Hester Browne's The Little Lady Agency and the Prince. The third in a very funny series.
    Count your blessings!

I finished Water for Elephants, it was wonderful and I recommend it to anyone who likes a story with a strong narrative.

I especially like the part when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Rosie the elephant killed her abusive trainer with her tethering peg, and then put the peg back in the ground after she was finished. He deserved it after all the horrible beatings he gave her!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3183687;
    I just this minute finished Hester Browne's The Little Lady Agency and the Prince. The third in a very funny series.
    I adore this series. I found the first book quite by accident. It was on deep discount (I think $5 for the hardback). It looked so funny that I decided to risk it. I had to have the rest of the series after that! My sister bought me the third book earlier this summer. Hester Browne cannot write fast enough for me.

+ Reply to Thread