+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3165006;
    I also enjoyed A Spot of Bother, but was not as absolutely in love with it as I was with Curious Incident. It (Spot) was one of those books that at a certain point, Ithink I was continiuing to read it more out of a determination to finish than a real love for the characters. To me, the mark of a great book is that when I'm finished with it, i really miss spending time with the characters.

Right now, I'm about half way through Sister Mine by Tawni O'Dell. I'm enjoying it, and very curious to know how things pan out. But after feeling let down by her last book (Coal Run) I'm a little apprehensive that she's not going to tie things up and explain the secrets and developments to my satisfaction. I had to kind of laugh that one of the characters of Coal Run got a mention in Sister Mine -- it felt to me like she knew that she didn't tie it up, and gave us a little update to satisfy what was missing.
    Well, it's been awhile since I read this, but I remember enjoying the book and I do feel that she tied things up very nicely - at least to my satisfaction. It all happens quickly toward the end, but I liked the ending. Hope you do as well!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Sabriel by Garth Nix. Interesting read so far.

My husband has been at me to read The Watchman series, which he bought me so that I could get excited about the movie too. I also have Joyce Carol Oates' My Sister, My Love. Can't decide what to start.

I finished One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. It was another Jackson Brodie novel, sequel to Case Histories. I found it not nearly as good as the first book. I still love Jackson Brodie, but the story was just too preposterous and yet boring at the same time. Is that even possible?
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I did a little trip to the library last week, and on your recommendations, I've borrowed Nanny Diaries, Citizen Girl and Dedication. I've finished the first two and am 1/2 into the last one. Very light read, but very entertaining. After those, I have the Secret life of bees and Suite Franšaise, which I took in French, since it's the original.

Earlier this summer, I also read Water for Elephants and Until I find you. Like many Irving books, Until I find you was slow to start, but by the end, I was totally engrossed. Water for Elephants was a totally unexpected pleasure.

Regarding A Spot of Bother and Curious incident. I loved loved loved Curious Incident, but did not like Spot. The characters were the woe-is-me type and I just didn't feel anything for them, other than annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by JFlo;3168895;
    I finished One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. It was another Jackson Brodie novel, sequel to Case Histories. I found it not nearly as good as the first book. I still love Jackson Brodie, but the story was just too preposterous and yet boring at the same time. Is that even possible?

It was really that bad? I love Kate Atkinson, "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" was one of my favorite books. I had enjoyed Case Histories. I'd urge you to check out her other stuff if you haven't, even if One Good Turn was that bad.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Earlier this summer, I also read Water for Elephants . Water for Elephants was a totally unexpected pleasure.
    I just recently started a local book club, and our first book is water for elephants..I havent read it yet, Im saving it since i read so quickly till the last book I read before our meeting..but Ive heard great things about it..I read the first chapter and found it funny

I am reading "leeway cottage" dont know much about it, it was recommended somewhere, I just got it off the shelf havent actually read any yet.

also on my shelf from the library I have the book "undomestic goddess" which I started awhile ago and never got to finish it, but didnt remember the title, I found the title out and got it to finish, it is a light read, but very enjoyable! I definitely reccomend it..

also "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" I know im the last person to read that book haha, but I loved the movie so I picked up the book.

and The kite runner..I know, everyone else in the world has read that one to, Im catching up.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Gregory Maguire's Wicked. I don't have a good enough vocabulary to describe how much I love, love, love this book. (Speaking of vocabulary...I confess I've needed Google for a couple of the words used in that book. Etiolated? ) Anyway, it's brilliant, and I'll be looking for more of his work.

I noticed while googling that it's been turned into a musical. I was thinking how great a movie version would be, but I sure would love to see the musical, it must be a riot.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3169489;
    Gregory Maguire's Wicked. I don't have a good enough vocabulary to describe how much I love, love, love this book. (Speaking of vocabulary...I confess I've needed Google for a couple of the words used in that book. Etiolated? ) Anyway, it's brilliant, and I'll be looking for more of his work.

I noticed while googling that it's been turned into a musical. I was thinking how great a movie version would be, but I sure would love to see the musical, it must be a riot.
    The musical is absolutely phenominal....one of my favorites. I saw it, loved it, and thought I'd read the book. But a few people told me the book was different than the show...definitely darker (though they've had excellent things to say about the book). I know its probably backwards, but I loved the show so much, I didn't want to read the book after hearing that. There is a sequel to the book though. He's also written several others that are a twist, or different perspective, to classic fairy tales.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

CCL

AJane - you might be interested to know that there's a sequel to Wicked called Son of a Witch and the third book in the series, A Lion Among Men, comes out in the Fall. I've only read Wicked myself so I can't recommend the other two personally.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-20-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

James Patterson - You've Been Warned

I like his books because they are fairly easy reads and I can get right back to the story during my breaks and lunch time without trying to remember too much that happened earlier in the book.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread