+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3164327;
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon - really insightful look into autism and Savant syndrome. A scant 200 plus pages, actually took me over a day and 1/2 to get through this fiction - because it was so realistic, I needed to get away and "pause" my own brain. The story is told with sweet humor, unfolding a touching, poignant view of life for a math/physics savant youth as he plays detective. Very well done!
    I utterly adored that book. It makes me so happy when I see that someone else has loved it too! The son of a dear friend of mine has Asperger's syndrome (the same form of autism that the boy in the book does) and I was blown away by how much it helped me to see the world through his eyes.

MRD

I'm reading Grisham's The Appeal.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I really loved the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time" as well. In fact, occasionally I still think "Well, today is a 5 red car day (or yellow if it's not so good) " Right now I am reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs and it is both humourous and very informative. It's not the typical type of book that I read, but I am really enjoying reading about the author's attempt to live according to old testament laws.

I really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I also liked his follow up A Spot of Bother. Very different kind of book, but still entertaining.

I'm reading Atomic Lobster by Tim Dorsey. Love Serge and Coleman!

I finished Dead Heat by Dick Francis and his son, I can't remember his first name. It was pretty good, the main character was a chef at a restaurant racetrack, interesting slant. I felt the plot was a little bit predictable, but it was an enjoyable read.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3165003;
    I really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I also liked his follow up A Spot of Bother. Very different kind of book, but still entertaining.

I finished Dead Heat by Dick Francis and his son, I can't remember his first name. It was pretty good, the main character was a chef at a restaurant racetrack, interesting slant. I felt the plot was a little bit predictable, but it was an enjoyable read.
    I also enjoyed A Spot of Bother, but was not as absolutely in love with it as I was with Curious Incident. It (Spot) was one of those books that at a certain point, Ithink I was continiuing to read it more out of a determination to finish than a real love for the characters. To me, the mark of a great book is that when I'm finished with it, i really miss spending time with the characters.

Right now, I'm about half way through Sister Mine by Tawni O'Dell. I'm enjoying it, and very curious to know how things pan out. But after feeling let down by her last book (Coal Run) I'm a little apprehensive that she's not going to tie things up and explain the secrets and developments to my satisfaction. I had to kind of laugh that one of the characters of Coal Run got a mention in Sister Mine -- it felt to me like she knew that she didn't tie it up, and gave us a little update to satisfy what was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3164327;
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon - really insightful look into autism and Savant syndrome. A scant 200 plus pages, actually took me over a day and 1/2 to get through this fiction - because it was so realistic, I needed to get away and "pause" my own brain. The story is told with sweet humor, unfolding a touching, poignant view of life for a math/physics savant youth as he plays detective. Very well done!
    When I was in college, I was on the committee responsible for choosing the book that everyone in the incoming class is supposed to read, and this book was the runner-up my senior year (to Maus, which was the runner up my junior year). Such a good book, I couldn't put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3151047;
    I just started You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again- The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny and it's pretty darn intriguing. The author has nannied for Judy and Michael Ovitz, Debra Winger, and Danny DeVito ad Rhea Perlman. She changed the name of all of the children in the book, and some of the other "celebs" she nannied for when needed. Really interesting behind-the-scenes info, a kind of peek behind the curtains of the rich and famous.
    I read that book as well!! It was really interesting, unfortunate in some ways that this is reality for some of those kids.

As for what I'm reading, I'm on a WWII binge and am currently reading Voices of D-Day by Ronald Drez. I've actually forgotten to get off the subway, I've been so engrossed.

I am reading Rivers Edge by Terri blackstock, it is a christian fiction suspense book...very good series
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3165003;

OMG! Dorsey's books are FABULOUS!!!!! Loved everyone of them. Since I am from Florida, I love that he writes about places I know and love. I love that Serge is a bit of a Florida historian. And he's a nutjob. But a loveable one.
    Coleman is a hoot too.

Missyboxers, I read a lot of WWII books as well. I'll have to remember Voices of D-Day. I'm still reading "At Dawn We Slept" about Pearl Harbor. It's a big book, lot to digest, so I have to occasionally put it down and read something else and then go back to it. I have found it extremely interesting as TPTB in both Washington and Hawaii suspected as early as Feb. 1941 that the Japanese might attack Pearl Harbor and ordered a defense plan drawn up for Oahu. But that Roosevelt was more concerned with Germany and the Atlantic and discounted the information coming out of Hawaii. Admiral Kimmel and General Short had asked for extra men and equipment in order to defend Pearl Harbor and the army air bases and were denied. Then they end up taking the fall for the whole thing afterwards.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-14-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I finished 'American Gods', a nice read which took me ahile to finish.

Sadness, Life, death, rebirth, and the choices made along the paths you travel...

And one fine little missy character in Sammy, who I wish had had an even larger role than she had.

Now I'm just beginning Stephen Baxter's Evolution, a book where I'm expecting few surprises while already anticipating a fine ride as well as some eye opening introductions or reminders such as that I receive about the soup that goes by the name of our atmosphere, Baxter speaking of a long long ago creature he describes as an air whale, writing:

He lived his life in that thin, high layer of air called the stratosphere, higher than the mountains, above most of the clouds. But even this far from the ground there was life; a thin ethereal plankton of insects and spiders, windblown. Sometimes mating swarms of midges, or even locusts, could be blown up into this lofty realm. This was the whale's thin bounty, which he scooped endlessly into his vast mouth.
    A creature described as being capable of easily circumnavignating the world; indeed only coming to earth to breed.

That one paragraph would have made this book worthy of reading (to me) all by itself.

Leftcoaster, if you liked American Gods, check out Anansi Boys. It's not exactly a sequel, but sequel-ish.

My oldest daughter and I are still on our Harry Potter marathon. She reads them first, then I do, then we watch the movie. I've just finished Prisoner of Azkaban and I bought Goblet of Fire for her for the (very long) car trip home in a few days. It's killing me to wait for her to finish them first. I love that we're reading them together, though. In a few years, when she's a bit older, we'll start on Stephenie Meyers.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread