+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just started You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again- The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny and it's pretty darn intriguing. The author has nannied for Judy and Michael Ovitz, Debra Winger, and Danny DeVito ad Rhea Perlman. She changed the name of all of the children in the book, and some of the other "celebs" she nannied for when needed. Really interesting behind-the-scenes info, a kind of peek behind the curtains of the rich and famous.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;355350;
    I think most of SK's books are a lot of foreshadowing in the beginning and full of the slow detail of life - especially male bonding. Unfortunately, I don't think you can rush it...it's not like reading Ludlum.
    The above quote is back from '03 and the very first page of this thread, a page I'm glad to have seen for your descriptive take. Over the years I developed an attitude toward King without really ever coming up with the core reason why when taking verbal exception to his work beyond saying something along the lines that I believe he is so incredibly wordy because he is intent in making a fat book rather than a good, readable tale.

You zeroed in precisely on what turns me off most about King in admirably short order, the repetitive foreshadowing and fixation on what I consider irrelevent detail. I actually read the book (Dreamcatcher) that brought about your above comment, so I can verify the book got better the further in you got if you managed to stick around that long. My problem with King is that I'm seldom that patient with him to get to the point, and being reminded for the umpteenth time, for example, that something bad apparently took place on a given day back in the past is an ever increasing irritant, not a reason for me to hang tough with the book.

MRD

Well I highly reccomed Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. I finished it last night. It's not highbrow. It's chick lit, but well done. But I laughed, I cried, I laughed. It was a good book. I really like this author a lot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I read Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs a few days ago, and I'm undecided whether I'm disappointed or just annoyed.

Whatever those reviewers were smoking to see this as a brilliant funny piece of work is something I want a toke or two of, maybe then I'd have been pleasingly entertained as well as them. But I wasn't. The book was supposed to be insanely offbeat to the max and hilarious to boot. I laughed twice reading the book, much closer to chuckle land than braying laughter, and one of those times was over a passage I'm almost certain wasn't designed to get a laugh.

There wasn't much that was all that entertaining, and nothing that I found all too shocking. Maybe the reviewers have led somewhat sheltered lives. Were it not for Natalie, the book would have been a complete waste of time. Augusten was an unsufferable little jerk for the most part, and he went out of his way to say unflattering things about people he purportedly cared about. I could have done with much less about him and more about...???

That is just it, there isn't anyone there worth seeking out to read about. I expected Dr. Finch to play a far greater (and far far BETTER) role in the book than he did.

Every single thing included as cover teasers for what was contained within the book was vastly overhyped. Every single one.

The book got better for awhile aboout 2/3 in, but upon mildly cheering internally, discovered that the readably entertaining chapter that finally had me thinkiing positively was an abberation, soon it was back to boringsville.

Rather than believing that Burroughs was blessed as a writer based on what I read, his work left me with the thought that he was truly blessed with his publicist and other agents who somehow turned such an ordinary piece of work into a bestseller.

I'll remember this memoir mostly for the question of how much fiction you can expect to inject into such a piece of work before it having to be called a work of fiction. Burroughs' work read frequently like he was making it up[ as he went along. Take as example the trip to Greenwich Village, where 16 year old Augusten, with his older driving companion check out "all' the gay bars in search of Augusten's boyfriend. Augusten isn't self described as looking older than he is, and it seems like that passage in one fantastic fib, seeing as not one mention is made of a single individual telling this KID to get out of his bar, even though it could cost the bar and individuals dearly foor allowing minors.

This book is memorable only in that it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the gushing comments made about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3150812;
    Like I said, these are not great works of literature. I spend most days reading dense texts so I want something my eyes can fly over. Most of these are quite silly little "beach reading" type books.

--the Glory St.Claire series by Gerry Bartlett (vampire struggles with weight, relationships, ghosts, and vampire hunters in Austin, TX)
    --Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (these are the Sookie Stackhouse books that will be made into "True Blood"; set in small town north Louisiana with all sorts of otherworldly creatures)
    --the Joe Pitt books by Charlie Huston (NYC-set noir vampire fiction--much more serious than the others but still quick to read)
    --the Dead End Dating series by Kimberly Raye (vampire girl runs a dating service in NYC and puts up with her crazy family)
    --the Queen Betsy series by MaryJanice Davidson (random chick becomes queen of the vampires through happenstance and shares a large house with her best friend since being a little kid, a doctor pal, and her vampire fiancÚ)

I used to read the Anita Blake series but by book 12 it got too repetitive in plot and turns of phrase. When I could pick out the same series of phrases used multiple times with in the same book and the copy editing as bad as a junior high newspaper, I had to put them down.

I've read the Queen Betsy series by MaryJanie Davidson. They were all a great, light read however I found the first two and last two in the series to be better than numbers 3 and 4. The middle books almost lost me.

I will definitely check out your other recommendations!

I just finished reading a series by Shanna Swendson that was also an easy read. The books are: Enchanted Inc; Once Upon Stilettos; Damsel Under Stress; and Don't Hex with Texas. Shanna describes the series as "the adventures of Katie Chandler, an ordinary Texas girl who moves to the big city and finds out that she's so ordinary, she's extraordinary -- and is the secret weapon in the war against bad magic."

I had a hard time putting them down and couldn't wait to read the next one. I hope there's a 5th book!

I just started my first Jennifer Weiner book -- Goodnight Nobody.

I just started "the pact" by jodi picoult...this is the second jodi picoult book Ive picked up, the first being "my sisters keeper" how does "the pact" hold up, anyone know?
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Just over halfway through Breaking Dawn, was there Saturday morning at 8:54 am, just as they were opening the doors. Me and a bunch of teenagers were reading while online to pay.

I highly recommend the Mary Janice Davidson Undead series, but I do not like the other as much. The Fred the mermaid ones are cute also.

I love Jennifer Weiner, is goodnight nobody a story collection? I never seem to like anthologies, I don't quite know why.

Going over to post in the Bella and Edward thread
    Could does not mean should

I finished Caroline Alexander's The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty last week and would recommend it. Old Captain Bligh certainly appears to have gotten a raw deal, more than one in fact.

Fletcher Christian comes across as a person with a tremendous chip on his shoulder, basically, at the point of the mutiny, and it appears that had it not been for the fact that he'd been recently within hours been heavily drinking and had taking the ship suggested to him by another disaffected crewman, the mutiny probably wouldn't have occurred. The fact that it did successfully take place seems to be related to the fact that Christian was so well liked by the crew, not that Bligh was so hated, as it appeared in the telling that the act was a spur of the moment decision rather than something plotted out in advance, and people followed his direction because of how they viewed him, not having time to think too long or hard about options or possible consequences.

The telling of the trial went on and on almost a little too long for me, but it was also some of the most riviting passages, hearing a dozen or more variations of the same moments in time. Even the guilty {those caught} came across as more foolish than dastardly, having to choose a side in an instant without forethought.

Captain Bligh reads as being the victim of the equivalent of a Swiftboarding campaign designed to sully his reputation while simultaneously taking the heat off of Christian {and more importantly} his family.

Not that Bligh didn't make any mistakes. He studiously observed and learned from Captain Cook's example of how to lead men, and emulated the same style once he was able to. Some things work for one but don't for another, and even I was thinking 'What were you thinking?' reading that as a moral booster, Bligh REQUIRED his crew to dance hours a night, not something warmly received as time passed.

I love Jennifer Weiner, is goodnight nobody a story collection? I never seem to like anthologies, I don't quite know why.
    No - just a regular novel.

+ Reply to Thread