+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just heard that there is finally a sequel to Katharine Neville's "The Eight"! More information here: The Fire by Katherine Neville - Hardcover - Random House

I know a number of people here liked The Eight.

Also, has anyone else read anything from Carol Goodman? She's also into the sort of "historical/artifact fiction" thing, I think. I'd never heard of her till I got an advance copy of her latest, "The Night Villa" -- Amazon.com: The Night Villa: A Novel: Carol Goodman: Books -- and really liked it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey

I am about 2/3 of the way through Dedication, and I am totally surprised by how much I'm adoring it. I loved Nanny Diaries, and enjoyed Citizen Girl, but thought it was too similar to Nanny Diaries. This book is a total new direction for the authors. It has me so nostalgic for the wonders of teenage angst! I'm adoring it, and cannot put it down.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm not going to pretend that I'm reading anything high-brow right now. That's what my English minor was for. I've just finished the 4 Scott Pilgrim graphic novels while I was home sick yesterday and decided to check out what all the hoopla was about for the Twilight series since I'm caught up on the Sookie Stackhouse series in advance of the debut of the "True Blood" HBO show. I'm a vampire fiction freak...and I freely admit it. I'm about 5 chapters into "Twilight" and so far I'm enjoying it's quick pace.

MRD

I'm reading the new Jennifer Weiner book Certain Girls and also At Dawn we Slept (its a history of the Pearl Harbor attack, so I have to switch off of it occasionally).

I checked out Swine Not: a Pig Tale by Jimmy Buffett. I have loved all his books so far and this was so awful, that I didn't even make it 1/4 of the way through the book.

But if you've never read Jennifer Weiner, check out her books. I have loved all of them. (In her shoes was made into a movie, but the book was a lot better)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3149592;
    I am about 2/3 of the way through Dedication, and I am totally surprised by how much I'm adoring it. I loved Nanny Diaries, and enjoyed Citizen Girl, but thought it was too similar to Nanny Diaries. This book is a total new direction for the authors. It has me so nostalgic for the wonders of teenage angst! I'm adoring it, and cannot put it down.
    I really enjoyed Dedication as well, it was very different from The Nanny Diaries. I haven't read Citizen Girl, though.

In Dedication I liked that they kept the plot moving between the past and present days and how everything connected between the two. I won't spoil the ending for you, I can just say that it ended like I wanted it to.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3150208;
    I'm not going to pretend that I'm reading anything high-brow right now. That's what my English minor was for. I've just finished the 4 Scott Pilgrim graphic novels while I was home sick yesterday and decided to check out what all the hoopla was about for the Twilight series since I'm caught up on the Sookie Stackhouse series in advance of the debut of the "True Blood" HBO show. I'm a vampire fiction freak...and I freely admit it. I'm about 5 chapters into "Twilight" and so far I'm enjoying it's quick pace.
    my friend LOVES vampire fiction, so if you have any suggestions I can pass on that would be great. I dont, but I love the Twilight series...I cant wait for breaking dawn on Saturday..

I'm reading the new Jennifer Weiner book Certain Girls and also At Dawn we Slept (its a history of the Pearl Harbor attack, so I have to switch off of it occasionally).
    I was over at goodreads.com (have you heard about it? its like a myspace for books haha you can add what your reading, what you have read what you are going to read, and add friends...see what they're reading etc) anyways, I was looking at random profiles over there to remind myself what I've read through the years, and I ran into a book by jennifer Wiener "good in bed" and I added it to my list of books to read, thought I would give it a try...so I'm glad to read that you think they are good..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3150442;
    my friend LOVES vampire fiction, so if you have any suggestions I can pass on that would be great. I dont, but I love the Twilight series...I cant wait for breaking dawn on Saturday..

I think I've suggested this one before, but Jennifer Rardin has an enjoyable vampire/crime series. I think the fourth or fifth one is due out next month. Like PhoneGrrrl said, it's not deep literature, but they're fun, light reads.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

The Historian is good vampire fiction and also some historical stuff too. I highly enjoyed it.

It's by Elizabeth Kostova.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3150442;
    my friend LOVES vampire fiction, so if you have any suggestions I can pass on that would be great.
    Like I said, these are not great works of literature. I spend most days reading dense texts so I want something my eyes can fly over. Most of these are quite silly little "beach reading" type books.

--the Glory St.Claire series by Gerry Bartlett (vampire struggles with weight, relationships, ghosts, and vampire hunters in Austin, TX)
    --Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (these are the Sookie Stackhouse books that will be made into "True Blood"; set in small town north Louisiana with all sorts of otherworldly creatures)
    --the Joe Pitt books by Charlie Huston (NYC-set noir vampire fiction--much more serious than the others but still quick to read)
    --the Dead End Dating series by Kimberly Raye (vampire girl runs a dating service in NYC and puts up with her crazy family)
    --the Queen Betsy series by MaryJanice Davidson (random chick becomes queen of the vampires through happenstance and shares a large house with her best friend since being a little kid, a doctor pal, and her vampire fiancé)

I used to read the Anita Blake series but by book 12 it got too repetitive in plot and turns of phrase. When I could pick out the same series of phrases used multiple times with in the same book and the copy editing as bad as a junior high newspaper, I had to put them down.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3150400;
    I really enjoyed Dedication as well, it was very different from The Nanny Diaries. I haven't read Citizen Girl, though.

In Dedication I liked that they kept the plot moving between the past and present days and how everything connected between the two. I won't spoil the ending for you, I can just say that it ended like I wanted it to.
    I finished it today, and I flat out loved loved loved loved it. The deeper into the book I got, the more i enjoyed it. It is one of those books that when I finished, I was really excited, followed by this little tinge of sadness that those characters are "gone" from my life. I'm going to miss hanging out with them like I have this week.

I agree with you on how they kept the plot moving. It was really fun to see how many names and characters were mentioned, and then all the sudden you realized that "THAT guy" turned out to be "this character". I also loved that there were several twists and turns that it took which I didn't see coming, but it felt totally natural for it to go as it did. I got a bit of an inkling of how it would eventually go by the last 1/4 of the book, and it did, but in a satisfying way. And the final chapter? Utterly priceless. It took it from an entertaining book to purely heartwarming.

ANYONE out there who enjoys good "chick lit" type reading, make sure that Dedication makes it to your list!

+ Reply to Thread