+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

We once discussed one of my favorite books here, The Secret Life of Bees. I just noticed they're making a movie based (loosely) on the book. Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifa are playing Lily and August. Unfortunately, it appears as though they are portraying the older women as younger women. (Queen as August, Alicia Keyes as June, and Sophie Okonedo as May. And, as if that weren't bad enough, Jennifer Hudson is playing Rosaleen.

Not sure I will see the movie with these major changes to the story, but I'm inspired to read/listen to the book again.

I'll have to see it even though those actresses are NOTHING like how I imagined the characters. Is Dakotah Fanning old enough for the romance thread of the story? I've read the book 3 times and got something new out of it each time. I think Jennifer Hudson would have made a fun May - not really old enough maybe, but I could see her playing crazy/sensitive.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3141726;
    I am very interested in Big Russ and Me, I meant to purchase it when it came out. I saw Tim Russert doing an interview about it. Let me know how it is.
    I just started Outtakes From A Marriage by Ann Leary (Dennis Leary's wife). It is pretty good so far.
    It's GREAT so far. I can already tell that this will be a must purchase book for me. (I tend to check stuff out and if I REALLY like it, THEN I buy it. There are very few books I buy before I've read them first. Just because they are so expensive and then if I don't like it or it was just ok, I dont' want to keep it. So my bookshelf is mostly filled with treasures that I know and love and have re-read many times).

Russert was a man of great emotion, humor and joy de vivre and it comes through in his writing. And the photos are wonderful too.
    I especially like the caption under the priest who was the disciplinarian at his high school. The quote from the priest is: "Russert, mercy is for God. I deliver justice". That sums up the Catholic school experience better than anything else I've ever read or heard.

I give it a big and I have barely even started it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just picked up "the shack" has anyone read it? its supposed to be fantastic..its number 2 on the NYT best sellers list..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

MRD

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I was not real impressed with Dean Koontz's lastest Odd Thomas book: Odd Hours. I finished it last weekend and I was SO very disappointed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I did finish Outtakes From A Marriage by Ann Leary the other day... It started out really well, but the rest of the book was "eh" and the ending was bad. Not what I had expected based on the beginning of the book. Didn't care for it - wouldn't recommend it.

I'm reading Joseph Wambaugh's Hollywood Crows. It does hold the interest, but is a little wordy.

I'm on the list for Odd Hours, but the people at my library read so slow! I might buy it so I can enjoy it sooner!

I'm reading sTori Telling by Tori Spelling

Such a funny title.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

Quote Originally Posted by TV_Junkie;3146783;
    I'm reading sTori Telling by Tori Spelling

Such a funny title.
    are you enjoying it? I didnt think much of Tori Spelling until I watched Tori and Dean, and now I really like her..I forgot about her book, I think Ill see if its at the library..

I did get "mistaken identity" about the two girls that were switched after a car accident, such a sad story, but also full of love and strength as well..

I also got Vendetta by Fern Michaels...and I found 90 minutes in heaven at a yard sale...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3146904;
    are you enjoying it? I didnt think much of Tori Spelling until I watched Tori and Dean, and now I really like her..I forgot about her book, I think Ill see if its at the library..
    I just started reading it, but so far I like it. She seems very open & honest about a lot of things.

My mom read it already, and she thought it was a good book.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

+ Reply to Thread