+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am 1/3 into The Map of Love and am getting bogged down in it. Has anyone read it who can tell me whether I should continue? My daughter recommended it, so I felt compelled to read it for her sake, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I also would like to request help finding a specific poem: "Oh, My God" (Billy Collins) for my mother. I can't seem to find it on the internet. We heard him recite it at a lecture.
    Count your blessings!

Miller Time: History of the Miller Brewing Co., by John Gurda a local historian who has had about 15 books published about Milwaukee, its people or companies

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. Very interesting and amusing so far... I've already read her Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, and she is a very funny and non-conventional science writer.

Duma Key. Better so far than Lisey's Story, but the jury's still out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I finally finished Special Topics in Calamity Physics, about, oh, a month and a half after starting it I'm ashamed to admit . It is a thick book, but not that thick. I don't know really why it took so long since I did think it was a good book. Anyway, despite it took me so long, I did enjoy the story and I do recommend it.

MRD

I just picked up At Dawn we Slept which is a very definitive book on the attack on Pearl Harbor from the year before to the aftermath on General Short and Admiral Kimmel.
    I also got Big Russ and Me by Tim Russert and Swine not? : a novel pig tale by Jimmy Buffett.

I dont' know which one to read first. It was definetly a bonus day at the library!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I finished Citizen Girl (second book by the authors of Nanny Diaries) over the weekend. It was good for a light reading, mindless type book. I think it was one where the authors came up with an idea, played it out well in the first half, and then weren't quite sure how to end it so they just threw something together. But overall, I enjoyed it. Now, I'm reading Dedication by the same authors. It's a completely different style for them (actual character names instead of generic ones, and NOT set in New York City). So it's kind of nice to see them try something new.

Next up for me will be Sister Mine. After that, I think I'm going to be ready to tackle The Kite Runner.

Last night I finished 18 Seconds by George D. shuman. Its a thriller about a blind psychic who helps the police with her abilty to 'see' the last 18 seconds of a victim's life when she holds their hand. Add this to the serial killer that is working the area, and you have an edge of your seat story you dont want to put down.

I am very interested in Big Russ and Me, I meant to purchase it when it came out. I saw Tim Russert doing an interview about it. Let me know how it is.
    I just started Outtakes From A Marriage by Ann Leary (Dennis Leary's wife). It is pretty good so far.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

I'm reading Richard Russo - "Risk Pool" about a boy growing up in Upstate NY torn between his depressed mother and his dad who keeps disappearing in and out of his life. Sounds depressing, but it's actually quite funny.
    Russo wrote Empire Falls as well. I bought some of his books brand new for $3 each the other day. Bargain!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

+ Reply to Thread