+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read three historical novels this weekend, and boy am I glad I wasn't born a hundred years ago.

The Dark Lantern by Gerri Brightwell. Takes place during Victorian England, and everyone in a household has secrets. The maid works 6am-12midnight, 7 days a week. She gets a half-day off every two weeks, how frigging awful would that be? Good book, lots of intrigue and period details.

The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine. Modern day writer compiling a biography of his great-grandfather who was a doctor who specialized in hemophilia. Another suspenseful read by Ruth Rendell under her pseudonym Barbara Vine. Also describes the end of the House of Lords in English Parliament.

Touchstone by Laurie King. Set during the British Union Strikes of the 1920's. Not as well written as the others but definitely a good read. The most interesting part of the book was the WWII veteran who could "feel" if people were deceitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3104353;
    You might also enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse, Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris. Thanks to theatregirl25 for suggesting!
    I've loved "spegs" books (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse) and am about to start Host.

Just finished all 8 of the aforementioned Sookie series, and am finishing up Janet Evanovich, "Back to the Bedroom". (early, Evanovich but some character types as found in Stephanie Plum series).

I read one of Harris' books as an advance copy and wound up liking it (it's certainly light reading, but entertaining, if you like the vampire thing) and thought I'd suggest if you liked that, you'd probably like books by Shanna Swendson. I also came across her as an advance reader copy, of one called "Don't Hex with Texas" that seems to be in the middle of a series. Not vampires, wizards. I didn't like it was well as Harris', but it would be worth picking up at the library.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3124186;
    I read three historical novels this weekend, and boy am I glad I wasn't born a hundred years ago.

The Dark Lantern by Gerri Brightwell. Takes place during Victorian England, and everyone in a household has secrets. The maid works 6am-12midnight, 7 days a week. She gets a half-day off every two weeks, how frigging awful would that be? Good book, lots of intrigue and period details.

The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine. Modern day writer compiling a biography of his great-grandfather who was a doctor who specialized in hemophilia. Another suspenseful read by Ruth Rendell under her pseudonym Barbara Vine. Also describes the end of the House of Lords in English Parliament.

Touchstone by Laurie King. Set during the British Union Strikes of the 1920's. Not as well written as the others but definitely a good read. The most interesting part of the book was the WWII veteran who could "feel" if people were deceitful.

Those sound interesting.
    When I read a period novel or a biography, I always think about how it was to live then, like you said about the maid.
    I think there were times in history that I might have liked to have lived, but I could't go without electricity and running water. OK, I might could give up h aving electricity, but I want my shower and indoor flushing toilet, thank you very much.

I finished Eat Pray Love and LOVED it! Which was highly doubtful in the beginning. But it was a great book.
    I was able to find it online used and also got Tim Russert's Big Russ and Me as well. And I qualifed for "super shipping", so hopefully I will have some good reading material soon. Eat Pray Love will be one of the books I will revisit.
    I'm currently re-reading an old favorite now.

Do any of you tend to re-read books? I have several that I have read several times over the years. It's like visiting and old friend.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Do any of you tend to re-read books? I have several that I have read several times over the years. It's like visiting and old friend.
    I re-read the Harry Potter series and Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy all the time. I have also re-read most of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books. They are just so beautiful.

I like to reread the Harry Potter series, too. I've also read To Kill A Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice more times than I can remember. My favorite reread is The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

Another Harry Potter re-reader here. I'm actually doing that right now - I'm on book six.

I also re-read: Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Persuasion and Tolkein's The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. I just re-read Michelle Zackheim's Broken Colors, which I'll probably read again. I've re-read a number of David Sedaris' books and i laugh just as hard as I did the first time. I read lots of "new" books, but I love revisiting "old friends" too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We went to a new Half Price Books today. Their clearance section was huge! I found The Historian(which I've never read) for $1 and several Anne Tyler books for $1 and $2.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I reread books all the time, particularly, as other people mentioned, Harry Potter and Jane Austen. It is totally like hanging out with old friends. I find I do it more with books I read as a kid, or children's books -- I think it's some whole childhood = safety and comfort thing with me. I still reread the Narnia books, the Black Cauldron books, and various others I loved as a kid.

My mother says she hardly ever rereads books, which I find so odd. I think every time, you find something new in a book. If it's a good one, I'm usually rushing to find out what happens, and it's not till I reread it that I pick up on other nuances.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

^^ Same here, Lucy. I usually race through books because I'm so excited and enthralled with them, and I have to go back to get all the details. I've re-read the Narnia series and The Hobbit multiple times, and, more recently, I read Lovecraft stories over and over (cue scary whoooooo sound).

As for new books, I'm reading Living Buddha, Living Christ, which explores where Buddhism and Christianity intersect. It's extraordinary, mainly because it's written so well. I'm also trying to read an Alan Watts book about Zen, but he's a bit crazy to follow sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3126972;
    I re-read the Harry Potter series and Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy all the time. I have also re-read most of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books. They are just so beautiful.
    Your avatar is hilarious!

Add me to the list of Harry Potter re-readers. I also read childhood favorites over and over again. It is like visiting an old friend and getting to know them again.

I did just read Jimmy Buffet's latest book. It's a cute story about a pet pig living in a hotel in NYC. Most of it is narrated by the pig (and there is a pork cooking chef after this pig). It's a fun read (and it was a free book - my parents bought it and then passed it along to me). The title is "Swine Not".
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread