+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished reading High Fidelity over the weekend. When I was about half way through the book, I noticed the movie was on one of the cable movie channels, so I recorded it, and ended up watching it almost immediately after I finished the book. As is normally the case, I thought the book was better than the movie only because it was able to go more in depth. But the movie was a pretty good adaptation -- it was entertaining to get to the point that i had read THAT DAY where I could really tell exactly which dialogue was lifted straight from the book.

Next, I started Citizen Girl. About 70 pages in, I'm enjoying it so far. It's written by the same two who wrote Nanny Diaries. They use the same device in this one referring to the main character as "Girl" (as it was with Nanny in their first book). I found that entertaining in Nanny Diaries, but it's slightly distracting in this one. But it's good enough so far that i'm looking for time to sit down and read, which is always a good sign.

Next up -- I went to Barnes and Noble today to wander through the fiction section, and bought Dedication (also by the Nanny Diaries writers) and Sister Mine by Tawni O'Dell. I've been waiting for Sister Mine to come out in paperback, so I'm really looking forward to that one.

I really enjoyed Sister Mine Veruka. I hadn't read any Tawni O'Dell and picked up an advance reader copy of it last fall (I think). I ended up really liking the book and then passed it on to my mother who liked it as well. It definitely put Tawni O'Dell on my radar, so to speak.

I'm on book 5 of Harry Potter. With so much stress going on at work with the fiscal year ending, it's been nice to read something comforting and familiar and not too demanding.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Run with the Horsemen by Ferroll Sams. It's an older book, but it's a memoir of sorts written by an old country doctor that grew up in rural Georgia during the depression.
    It gives a very good view of what life was like, race relations, collective thought about the history of the area and South, farm life, boyhood and education at a time when life was fairly simple. (meaning no plethora of toys, electronics, etc.)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by laura302;3113080;
    Is this the order to these books or can you pick up any one?
    That is the order. Check 'em out! They're great. Kind of a cool romance/horror, young adult, fiction. Kudos to Stephenie Meyer!
    "She wakes up to the cold that she created.
    There's a winter in her mind, though outside the snow has faded
    and the sun is bright
    but she's bundled up tight"

I'm reading Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. Fascinating story of the great Egyptian queen as seen thru the eyes of her sister. History is actually brought to life in this book, with great details about a time when the king changed everything about his culture and religion.

Thanks, cablejockey! I am ordering it now.

Is anyone familiar with the Robert Crais novels with the characters Elvis Cole and Joe Pike? They sound intriguing, and there is a new one out titled "Chasing Darkness". I want to get reviews before purchasing the series. Thanks!
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 07-08-2008 at 09:32 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3114776;
    I really enjoyed Sister Mine Veruka. I hadn't read any Tawni O'Dell and picked up an advance reader copy of it last fall (I think). I ended up really liking the book and then passed it on to my mother who liked it as well. It definitely put Tawni O'Dell on my radar, so to speak.
    Have you read any of her other books since then? I absolutely LOVED her first book - Back Roads. I'd highly recommend it. Coal Run was good, but not as good, IMO. Back Roads I remember as one of those books that stayed with me. Coal Run I enjoyed while I was reading it, but didn't feel any sort of emotional anything towards it when I was done. But obviously, I liked it enough, coupled with my love for Back Roads (and some good comments in this thread) to have pounced on getting Sister Mine the first time I saw it in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3116610;
    Run with the Horsemen by Ferroll Sams. It's an older book, but it's a memoir of sorts written by an old country doctor that grew up in rural Georgia during the depression.
    It gives a very good view of what life was like, race relations, collective thought about the history of the area and South, farm life, boyhood and education at a time when life was fairly simple. (meaning no plethora of toys, electronics, etc.)
    I'm going to have to add this book to my list! I had totally forgotten about it. When it came out, I remember my grandmother loving it, and my mom (who NEVER finishes a book) adoring it as well. Now that I'm reading real books instead of Ramona books, I'm going to have to read it!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3116748;
    Have you read any of her other books since then? I absolutely LOVED her first book - Back Roads. I'd highly recommend it. Coal Run was good, but not as good, IMO. Back Roads I remember as one of those books that stayed with me. Coal Run I enjoyed while I was reading it, but didn't feel any sort of emotional anything towards it when I was done. But obviously, I liked it enough, coupled with my love for Back Roads (and some good comments in this thread) to have pounced on getting Sister Mine the first time I saw it in the store.

I'm going to have to add this book to my list! I had totally forgotten about it. When it came out, I remember my grandmother loving it, and my mom (who NEVER finishes a book) adoring it as well. Now that I'm reading real books instead of Ramona books, I'm going to have to read it!
    It's the first book of a trilogy. But in my opinion the best of the three. I read it years ago and am re-reading it because I suddenly find myself in the unusual position of being without a stack of reading material.

I honestly think that the first chapter is by far the funniest. When he goes to plow with the mule, I thought I would burst, I laughed so hard.

What makes it a memorable book for me, is that the stories my parents used to tell of their childhood in rural Florida were very similar in nature to the experiences the boy has in this book.

And I think it gives some insight into race during the Jim Crow era in the South. While most people assume it was all lynchings all the time, this book shows how a working farm and how all the people on it, really lived. I'm not saying that it whitewashes the plight of the poor black during the depression and Jim Crow eras, I think it does show that not only race, but class was a huge dividing factor at that time. But it also shows that in a lot of cases, the white landowner was not a Simon Legre, but a benevolant presence who made sure that everyone on the farm was taken care of. But in context to the times as well.
    It's an interesting peek into rural life during the depression. Not all of it good, not all of it bad.

And it's funny too. This boy gets into more mischief, I'm just glad I never had to raise a child like this. I would have torn my hair out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished Nights in rodanthe by nicholas sparks....and what a sad ending..he always does sad books, so I don't know why I expected different. Now i'm reading payback by fern Michaels..I finished 3 books this week, and I'm back to the library again today
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3117175;
    I just finished Nights in rodanthe by nicholas sparks....and what a sad ending..he always does sad books, so I don't know why I expected different. Now i'm reading payback by fern Michaels..I finished 3 books this week, and I'm back to the library again today
    They have made a movie from Nights In Rodanthe, due out in October. I just finished reading it for the 2nd time to refresh my memory.

I hope you enjoy Payback, I too like some of Fern Michaels, my MIL was on a FM kick for a while and we share books...so I read several of them.

+ Reply to Thread