+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Finished 'The Two Minute Rule'. Good read up until the very end, which was far too abrupt for me. Feeling the pages, I figured even with a insert teaser chapter of a forthcoming book I still had a few pages to enjoy wrapping the tale up. Wrong. The ending lasted barely more than a page and just implied what might or might not occur sometime in ythe future. A disappointment to me, but overall the story was an entertaining read.

I also finished Battleship at War: The Epic Story of the USS Washington by Ivan Musicant a few days ago. A subsection of the title was something like 'The ship they couldn't sink', making me sorry I couldn't recall much about this apparently stellar warship.

Reading, not to be too dismissive of her memory or those who served aboard her, it seemed like one of the likeliest reasons why they couldn't sink her is she was out of the area of operations during so many engagements. She always appeared to be somewhere in the general vicinity on an ocean scale, but that can easily (and did) mean 300 miles away, too far to play a role.

Still, she did play a significant role, even though most of her action came after the tide had already decisively turned in favor of the U.S. over Japan. The U.S.S. Washington's accomplishments aside, the story was still an interesting read because of the way it was written and the material that was included as filler, including a periodic overview of what was going on in the war while Washington was steaming to and fro, the type of vittles the crew did or didn't enjoy, the sort of flicks that were available to them, and the periodic updates on what unnamed individual got a Captain's Mass or General Court Marshal, the ooffense and punishment meted out.

She duked it out one on one with enemy capital ships and survived, while many others didn't. It is easy to feel grief for both sides at times reading of the losses they endured, the naval men involved if not the nations. Lots of waste, particularly the segment dealing with the struggle on both sides to acquire or maintain possession of Guadalcanal. Definitely tough times.

One thing lacking that I kept an eye out for was mention of punishment for senoir ranking officers for incidents that appear to be career killers in this day and age. There was repeated mention of ships running aground and striking other ships, and the only time any action was mentioned was when Washington collided with the U.S.S. Indiana, all but shearing off her bow and killing scores from both vessels. Nowadays, run up onto a mudflat and require a tow and you can kiss your command away.

The Good Word...the Bible!
    Autumn Winds!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;3085368;
    Finished 'The Two Minute Rule'. Good read up until the very end, which was far too abrupt for me. Feeling the pages, I figured even with a insert teaser chapter of a forthcoming book I still had a few pages to enjoy wrapping the tale up. Wrong. The ending lasted barely more than a page and just implied what might or might not occur sometime in ythe future. A disappointment to me, but overall the story was an entertaining read.
    Don't you hate it when authors do that? They spend several hundred pages developing the story and then, all of a sudden, it's just over in a really abrupt way. I also hate it when the story seems to be close to resolution and I still have 100 pages. With thrillers it's especially annoying because you know there's a twist coming and you expect it before it happens.

I finished Grace Tiffany's (or is it Tiffany Grace? I'm too lazy to check!) The Turquoise Ring a few days ago and loved it. The author basically tells the story of Shylock (Shiloh in this book) by telling the stories of five women in his life: his daughter, Jessica, her mother, Portia and Portia's maid, Nerissa and a Moorish servant. The turquoise ring is a clever plot device that passes from character to character, but it's never TOO clever. I highly recommend it, especially for fans of Shakespeare and/or historical fiction. Really enjoyable and still respectful of the Bard.

I'm making a pass through the Harry Potter series again. I've been working so much and having lots of stress, so I wanted something comfortable and familiar and not too taxing. Every time I read these books, I find something new in them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3085532;
    Don't you hate it when authors do that? They spend several hundred pages developing the story and then, all of a sudden, it's just over in a really abrupt way. .
    That is exactly how I felt about your namesake book: Critical by Robin Cook. The book just abruptly ended and I even turned back a couple pages to see if I had missed something. Nope. It's almost like the author says: "I'm really tired of writing this story, so I'm just going to end it right here". I hate that.

Ok, Eat, Pray, Love, has definetly gotten better. She's just arrived in India. I really liked the Italian section.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson. Fun, light, summer reading and it made me laugh a bunch of times. And the recipes are to die for.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3086269;
    I just finished Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson. Fun, light, summer reading and it made me laugh a bunch of times. And the recipes are to die for.
    Love her books, but they always make me hungry. Best not to read her books late at night, or you're in the kitchen just "whipping something up" like Goldie does. (I'd die for Goldie's kitchen and how she just seems to simply make a 5 course meal for 150 people, no sweat! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know! It must be nice to be a fictional caterer with a walk in fridge and freezer at home.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3085891;
    Ok, Eat, Pray, Love, has definetly gotten better. She's just arrived in India. I really liked the Italian section.
    My favorite sections were Italy (of course!) and Indonesia. India was interesting, except for the long chapters about the history of meditation.

CCL

Just finished the latest Stephanie Plum Book (Fearless Fourteen). It was good - I found the last couple of outings to be disappointing but this one was entertaining. Not a lot of Grandma Mazur but Lula was in fine form.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I enjoyed this one also I did miss Grandma Mazur but gotta love Lula!!

+ Reply to Thread