+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2967040;
    I can't tell you how much I loved this book. In fact, I read it twice because I had a strange dream about it and just had to reread it because I couldn't stop thinking about it.
    Funny, I reread it twice also! But, sans dream - I was surprised that my first interpretation of what happened in the beginning, was a different understanding then what I had interpreted at the end; so I wanted to see where else I may have missed clues. Plus, it was the most enjoyable book I had read over Christmas Holidays and I wanted to make it last a little longer.

I just finished Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris - boy if that doesn't remind me of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Definitely similar, hard to believe it but Steph never read any vampire books before writing Twilight. If you liked the Twilight series you will enjoy the Southern Vampire series by Harris; although I think Harris is more on the crime investigation and Meyer's is more romantic.

I recently finished Murder List, by Julie Garwood and since I also read and enjoyed Shadow Dance; I decided to go back and read her earlier books which are all part of the same Buchanan Family. I am reading Heartbreaker right now, so far so good!

I'm just finishing up Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. It is the excellent and very entertaining story of his stand up career. There is minimal personal biography, which suits me fine (I don't really care about the personal lives of performers), only enough to give some context to the decisions he made with respect to his chosen career path.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mike'sgirl, I read one of those Charlaine Harris books and did enjoy it, although it doesn't remind me of Stephenie's books (which I also like). I thought the Harris book that I read was more light-hearted and funny -- I'd expected it, in fact, to be a bit silly, but I found I liked it.

If you like the vampire thing, try Jennifer Rardin's series -- I think the first is called "Once Bitten" or something similar.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2978348;
    Mike'sgirl, I read one of those Charlaine Harris books and did enjoy it, although it doesn't remind me of Stephenie's books (which I also like). I thought the Harris book that I read was more light-hearted and funny -- I'd expected it, in fact, to be a bit silly, but I found I liked it.

If you like the vampire thing, try Jennifer Rardin's series -- I think the first is called "Once Bitten" or something similar.
    Thanks I will give it a try! It's funny, because I once thought in a million years I would never be interested in that.... then Steph came along and changed all that. Hers (Twilight) were the first and will probably always be my favorites, but there is a lot of others to enjoy as well. Thank you for suggesting!

Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

and

The Omnivore's Dilemma

MRD

The Historian is a very good book about Vampires. I enjoyed it immensely. It is a novel, but also delves into the history and myths of other cultures that also have vampire stories. Interestingly enough almost every culture has a myth about the undead going back to the ancient Egyptians. Interesting that it is so old and so widespread.

Ann Rice has a new series of books. Anyone read "Out of Egypt"???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China - Jung Chang
    Henry VIII: The Mask of Royalty - Lacey Baldwin Smith (older book, but maybe the best biography I've on him I've read, so far)

I have checked out 4 of Julie Garwood's (Buchanan-Renard series) books. I had previously read "Shadow Dance" and enjoyed the heroine (brainiac Jordan Buchanan) & hero FBI hunk Noah Clayborne) characters very much, so when I saw one of her earlier books in the series "Murder List", I grabbed it. Now I am reading them all in sequence though they are nicely independent singly. The series deals with FBI agents that are all members of or related to the Buchanan family, as various siblings become involved with very intriguing crimes & you see the story from a close-knit family perspective as well. I love all of the characters - very likable, charming; the type you wish you really knew (sigh). I am on "Heartbreaker" right now, and very much enjoying it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions on the vampire genre, I look forward to exploring them!

Has anyone read the Tess Monaghan series by Laura Lippman? I'm on my second book of the series,By A Spider's Thread. The way she makes Baltimore like another character in her books is just fantastic. I read What The Dead Know last year and just fell in love with her writing.

+ Reply to Thread