+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 715 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133533 ... LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

JR.
    I'm about halfway through Motley Crue "The Dirt" Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

I love it, I want to be a rock star.

I need to re-read Dirt, it's a fun book
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Just picked up Donald Trump's "How to Get Rich"
    Well, now you know how Donald Trump gets rich!

I'm currently reading "Beethoven's Hair" by Russell Martin. Very interesting--it's half a biography of Beethoven and half the story of a lock of hair that the young composer Ferdinand Hiller cut from Beethoven's head shortly after Beethoven's death. An intriguing read . . . I'd highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy
    I'm going through Kathy Reichs' books about a forensic anthropologist reading Grave Secrets. Love these books!
    It's not the same type of book but, have you ever heared of the photographer Sally Mann and her book What Remains?

I'm reading--don't laugh--Angelina Jolie's journals from her travels to Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Pakistan, Cambodia, and Ecuador as a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador. She first contacted the UN High Commissioner for Refugees after working on her movie Tomb Raider made her aware of the land mine situation in Cambodia. She then became Goodwill Ambassador and travelled extensively, encountering, face-to-face, suffering, starvation, and human injustice--these are excerpts of her observations along the way. The prose is compassionate and moving, but simple enough to make me believe she (and not some anonymous ghostwriter) really wrote it. You want some eloquently-written remembrances, read Proust, but if you want to restore your faith that hot women can be heartfelt humanitarians, then read this.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    It's not the same type of book but, have you ever heared of the photographer Sally Mann and her book What Remains?
    No, I haven't heard of her. What type of photographer is she in the story? If she works with the police, fbi, or similar, I may be interested.

I just finished Grave Secrets and a friend let me borrow Deadly Decisions to read next.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Well, I received yet another novel in school yesterday... Le Vol de la Jaconde. It's a story about how the Mona Lisa (la Jaconde) is stolen from the Louvre and replaced with a fake that is remarkably similar in many ways, almost unnoticeably a copy. It's pretty interesting; the illustrations are pretty bad, though.

At least it is in French... I'm kinda proud of myself, being able to read a book in French and understanding what's happening.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Currently reading Zodiac by Robert Graysmith. It's an alright read.

Was trying to read Slaughter House 5. Could not get into it at all. Didn't care for the writing style I guess. Hopefully will try to get into it again.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Aw, that's too bad, Junkiegirl, I love Kurt Vonnegut. Sometimes it's just not the right time to read a book, and you pick it up and put it down several times before you're in the mood for it. Give Slaughterhouse Five another chance later on.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Oops, sorry I missed your thread before, Nausi. Thanks for the suggestion of Margaret Mahy, I'll have to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Vladimir Nabokov - "Pale Fire" (why haven't I read anything of his before? This is poetry mixed with metafiction mixed with screwy Zemblan fantasy. Loved it.)
    BTW, Nabokov is probably one of my favorite all time authors. I've been loving his work since I was still technically "nymphet" age. "Pale Fire" is not only one of Nabokov's most experimental, it's also one of his wittiest! I also liked "Ada or Ardor," "Pnin," "Transparent Things," "Invitation to a Beheading"--basically any of his works are well worth your while.

Of course, you'll have to read "Lolita" now, which is still one of my favorite novels--might I suggest getting the annotated version? It really helps you to see just how far down the rabbit-hole Nabokov takes you as a reader. Read it the first time on your own, then the second with the footnotes. You won't be reading it just a once, at least I didn't. This is still my personal idea of a "romance novel." Okay, maybe I'm weird.

+ Reply to Thread