+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just read "A Child Called It"... very disturbing and sad! It made me cry on every single page. Before that I read Nikki Sixx's "The Heroin Diaries". Great book. And I just started reading Motley Crues book "The Dirt".

MRD

I loved all the Odd Thomas books.

I'm reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.
    His writing just floors me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A co-worker recommended Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books (One for the Money, etc) on a day we had early dismissal. So I went to the library and got the first two and read them both that afternoon/evening in my new reading nook. I got the 3rd one the next day and read it all that night. Now I have a volune with books 4, 5, and 6 in it and read #4 last night and am about to start 5. Is there a thread here just on her? I'll have to search. There are 13 altogether and I hope my interest wanes before that because I can't seem to get up and do anything once I start reading them. Anyone else a fan?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2819688;
    A co-worker recommended Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books (One for the Money, etc) on a day we had early dismissal. So I went to the library and got the first two and read them both that afternoon/evening in my new reading nook. I got the 3rd one the next day and read it all that night. Now I have a volune with books 4, 5, and 6 in it and read #4 last night and am about to start 5. Is there a thread here just on her? I'll have to search. There are 13 altogether and I hope my interest wanes before that because I can't seem to get up and do anything once I start reading them. Anyone else a fan?
    I also LOVE her books - a friend introduced me to the series about 6 months ago, and once I started - there was no stopping me! I just read non-stop and life around me just wasn't all that important anymore...
    Truly enjoyable fun reading

ETA -- I am currently reading The Hunt Club by John Lescroart. I stumbled upon another of his books in the used book store "The Suspect" and really enjoyed it so... of course that translates into checking into all of his other novels right??
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 03-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Thank you Margaritaville - I was afraid I had lost my marbles. I can not put these books down once I start. Not only that but I'll go look at the clock and it will be 7:30 and I'll say, ok I can read a little longer - and then next time I check it's 9:30 - past my bedtime on a weekday!
    Count your blessings!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

One of my co-workers also got me started on these last year. About the only books I read that actually make me bust out laughing. Love, love, love Stephanie Plum! I don't think I have read the latest one though. I will have to check into that. Enjoy, Gutmutter!

*yawn/stretch* All 792 pages of the volume with books 4, 5, and 6 down for the count. I'm tempted to run to the local bookstore to see if they have #7 because the library isn't open today. That wouldn't be obsessive would it?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

HUGE fan. But I hate to tell you this. I didn't discover her until I think book number 10 or 11 came out. I didn't want to start with that one, so I got the first one from a friend. I was HOOKED and read all 11 in a row and like you, I couldnt' stop reading. Fortunately, they are fast, easy reads. But I've now read ALL of her books, even the ones that aren't Stephanie Plum ones. I LOVE those books. And I LOVE Morelli and have had secret fantasies about Ranger

I also get hooked on an author and tend to obsess and read everything I can. I now have several authors like that that I've read just about everything they've written and wait impatiently for their next one.
    Tim Dorsey (great books about Florida and its extreme wackniness, but you do need to read them in order. He's like Hiassen but on the Gulf Coast). Randy Wayne White (another Florida author, writes about the area of the state I used to live in. His books are mystery/adventure. Also should be read in order), Stuart Woods, Robert Parker, Sophie Kinsella, Diana Gabaldon. All of these had many books out when I discovered them and I went back to the beginning and read everything I could.
    I'm doing the same thing with Truman Capote now. I realized I had missed a lot of his short stories and had never read In Cold Blood. So I'm now on a Capote kick.

I do get obsessive when I read and don't want to stop.
    When I got hooked on the Stephanie Plum books, my friend had them all. I got the first one by itself and I think I finished it at 2 in the morning and I was ready to go beat her door down to get the rest. I got all she had the next day and I dont' think I came out of hibernation until I had read them all.
    I identify a lot with Stephanie as weird stuff is always happening to me. However, not as bad as her. I dont' have her luck with cars. I also like Lula because I identify with her food choices. And she's just a SCREAM!

And Grandma Mazur is a hoot. I swear I know old ladies like that that make the funeral circuit.

Fearless Fourteen is due out June 17!!!!! Can't wait.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2821319;
    *yawn/stretch* All 792 pages of the volume with books 4, 5, and 6 down for the count. I'm tempted to run to the local bookstore to see if they have #7 because the library isn't open today. That wouldn't be obsessive would it?
    Big fan here! I read books 1-13 just in past three weeks except for #4 which I still need to get a hold of. (The library only has it that one on DVD and I have to read her books.) I have a major crush on Ranger and personally think he is better suited for her then Morelli. I think Ranger's zen like attitude is more harmonious for her - he even knows the word please will get her to listen to him (momentarily). My favorite books are the ones that feature Ranger - especially #12. My husband is even growing interested in the books just listening to me laugh so much reading them.
    My only disappointment with the series is that at 30 + I would like to see her food choices grow beyond dessert.

Book 14 "Fearless Fourteen" is due June 17.

I have also enjoyed the arrival of "Diesel" in the "Plum between the numbers" series (Sugar Plum, Plum Lovin, and Plum Lucky). Has anyone read those - they are very short like 169 pages and have a mystical quality about the characters with their supernatural abilities.

ETA myrosiedog:I love all the characters but your right, Grandma really stands out for me too!
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 03-02-2008 at 10:51 PM.

I was not as thrilled with the Between the numbers books - I enjoyed Diesel, but the regular characters are so limited in those books - it just isn't the same. And I LOVE Grandma Mazur and Lula - their attitudes are just classic!

+ Reply to Thread