+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 718 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132532 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Finally Here -
    yes I did.
    I also have "Less Than Zero" waiting on me.
    I haven't read Glamorama yet.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

Nicholas Sparks "The Guardian"

I was stuck at the airport with nothing to do but wait.. I've read a couple of his and they were just alright. But this one sounded great, and... so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by weston
    Finally Here -
    yes I did.
    I also have "Less Than Zero" waiting on me.
    I haven't read Glamorama yet.
    American Psycho is the only one of his I've read. If I get the chance I might try to pick up something else by Ellis, but I don't think anything could match Psycho's depravity.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FORT Fogey
    Ack. We're reading Great Expectations now... It is SOOO boring, and we're reading the abridged version too. I have to read the same paragraph 6 times to actually digest the information. Worst book by far we've read so far.

I didn't enjoy Great Expectations either when I read it as a freshman in high school. I have a feeling I might feel differently about it 14 years later. It's tough when you're "forced" to read something.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I'm reading "Catalyst" right now. It's pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Speaking of children's books, I just read the first two of Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events"--these are great children's books! They're literate, intelligent, don't talk down to kids, and have plenty of references and hat tips to things adults will appreciate. I love them!

And now I'm reading Don DeLillo's "White Noise".
    If you enjoyed Lemony Snicket, SnowflakeGirl, you might like to try Margaret Mahy's stuff. There is so much wordplay in her books (esepcially these extravagant alliterative passages - check out "The Pirates' Mixed-up Voyage"), and the books are always as funny as hell.

Anyway, I had a bit of time during Spring break, so I read somewhat voraciously.

Don DeLillo's "Underworld" (a tome! But powerful and explosive prose. Didn't like it as much as "White Noise", though.)
    Tom Wolfe's "Bonfire of the Vanities" (It was okay. Pretty entertaining, somewhat thought-provoking, but doesn't live up to all that hype.)
    Doris Lessing's "The Sweetest Dream" (made me want to live in the 60s. The stuff good chick-lit is made of.)
    Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" (this is distilled poetry. Liked "Sula" better, though.)
    Jonathan Safran-Foer's "Everything is Illuminated" (another clever "It" boy. Pretty witty stuff, especially the cringingly bad play with English semantics.)
    Vladimir Nabokov - "Pale Fire" (why haven't I read anything of his before? This is poetry mixed with metafiction mixed with screwy Zemblan fantasy. Loved it.)

I am currently reading Randy Eickhoff's "Return to Ithaca". We'll see how it goes.

The Song of the Bird by Anthony DeMello. IMO, it's better to read one entry per day but not the whole book in one sitting.

I'm going through Kathy Reichs' books about a forensic anthropologist reading Grave Secrets. Love these books!

Just picked up Donald Trump's "How to Get Rich"

+ Reply to Thread