+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I really want to pick up Darkly Dreaming Dexter. My friends have read it and they loved it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2761869;
    I was just invited to join a book club and the book they are reading this month is
    A widow for one year by John Irving.

I normally like Irving, but I heard some not so good things about this book when it came out.

Anyone read it? I'm going to give it a try.
    I absolutely loved this book. (The movie is awful, don't go near it.) Ruth is Irving's best heroine IMO, even better than Jenny Garp. I'm a huge fan of John Irving and I would rate this as my personal favourite. Even if you don't join the book club, mrd, I would definitely give it a read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2762752;
    I absolutely loved this book. (The movie is awful, don't go near it.) Ruth is Irving's best heroine IMO, even better than Jenny Garp. I'm a huge fan of John Irving and I would rate this as my personal favourite. Even if you don't join the book club, mrd, I would definitely give it a read.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I did not care for Cider House Rules and so have not read anything since that one.

I would have to say my favorite Irving is "The Hotel New Hampshire". My family has been saying "keep passing the open windows" and "sorrow floats" for probably 25 years now. (I know its been that long since it came out. We all read it and LOVED it and adopted those two sayings as part of our family sayings. In fact, anytime anyone has gone through a rough time in our family we always say: "I love you, keep passing the open windows" )

A Prayer for Owen Meanie is probably my 2nd favorite. I lent both of those books a few years ago and never got them back. I am through lending books. I can't count how many I've lent out over the years and never gotten back and geez, they are expensive when you add that up. Ok, now we're getting into pet peeves.

Oh and I liked Garp too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult, which I was disappointed in. But I did enjoy Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen which I read just before that.

I am about to start Vanishing Acts also by Jodi Picoult - which my sister assures me I will enjoy; I hope she is right. Anyone familiar with these?

I just finished The Minotaur by Barbara Vine. It was an extremely well written novel of psychological suspense. Barbara Vine is a pseudonym of Ruth Rendell, one of my favorite authors.

I just found out that Ms. Rendell is 77 years old. I hope she live to be at least 100 and continues writing until her death. She's great.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2763858;
    I just finished Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult, which I was disappointed in. But I did enjoy Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen which I read just before that.

I am about to start Vanishing Acts also by Jodi Picoult - which my sister assures me I will enjoy; I hope she is right. Anyone familiar with these?
    Mike'sgirl, I read Tenth Circle and really liked it. However, I loved, loved, loved Water for Elephants.

I remember enjoying Vanishing Acts as well. Let us know what you think of it.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Sense and Sensibility

I just finished The Thief Taker by Janet Gleeson. It's a nice mix of historical fiction and whodunnit. It took me a little while to really get into it but, once I did, I couldn't put it down. I read the last 200 pages in one sitting today.

I just started Sue Miller's new one, The Senator's Wife. It's another Advance Reader Copy (yay for free books) that has been sitting here for a while, waiting patiently to be read. I do love her writing style and this one isn't disappointing me. Apparently, it comes out in hardcover some time this month. If it turns out to be a good one, I'll let y'all know!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished a fascinating thriller, True Evil by Greg Iles. Heres a link for more info on it.Goodreads | True Evil: A Novel

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2761869;
    I was just invited to join a book club and the book they are reading this month is
    A widow for one year by John Irving.

I normally like Irving, but I heard some not so good things about this book when it came out.

Anyone read it? I'm going to give it a try.
    I loved this book. I had read Garp for a book club and then went on a bit of an Irving binge (there is such thing as too much of a good thing... ), but A Widow for a Year was one of my favourites. Let us know what you think!

+ Reply to Thread