+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2748837;
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susana Clarke. A book so big, it fell right out of its spine while I was reading it.

The story is about two rival magicians in Victorian England. I am really enjoying it, but it's so big that it is hard to read.

Has anyone else read it?
    I did, and very much enjoyed it. It definitely isn't a fast read -- it has the slow pacing and wordy dialogue that reminds me of Dickens -- but was quite good, if you like Victorian-style novels.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

CCL

^ I'm basically going to ditto what Lucy said about Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I read it a few years back and recall it being a very good read.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2748911;
    Monday, I read Tawni O'Dell's Sister Mine, which turned out to be totally different than I expected. I really enjoyed it and haven't devoured a book this quickly in a long time. I pretty much ignored everything (including the phone and the TV) until I finished it. Here's the blurb from amazon:

Amazon.com: Sister Mine: A Novel: Books: Tawni O'Dell
    Thank you for mentioning it, I enjoyed a book of hers several years ago called "Back Roads" and will look for this one. Thanks!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2750144;
    Thank you for mentioning it, I enjoyed a book of hers several years ago called "Back Roads" and will look for this one. Thanks!
    I am going to add this to my list too. I LOVED Back Roads (one of the only Oprah book club books I was thankful she'd picked - I think it was the one that kept me going with her picks for another book or two) I remember seeing mention of this book somewhere when it was released, but I had forgotten about it. I'm not going to forget about it a second time!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2750149;
    I am going to add this to my list too. I LOVED Back Roads (one of the only Oprah book club books I was thankful she'd picked - I think it was the one that kept me going with her picks for another book or two) I remember seeing mention of this book somewhere when it was released, but I had forgotten about it. I'm not going to forget about it a second time!
    I just read an excerpt from Amazon (below the editorial reviews) and now I am ordering the book - can't wait to read it!

Amazon.com: Sister Mine: A Novel: Books: Tawni O'Dell

I just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. It was very interesting, and a bit darker than the tv series that was based on it. I'm looking forward to reading the novel in the series.

Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger.

I have only read 10 pages of it, since I have been busy with other stuff. but soon I'll start reading it a lot.

I finished Bacchus and Me, and now I'm going to start A Hedonist in the Cellar, also by Jay McInerney. Hopefully this one will have me laughing as well.

A couple years ago, I bought a little black notebook which I keep in my purse. Whenever I'm at Barnes and Noble and I see a book that catches my eye, I write it down, and then when I'm looking for something to read, I'll look my list over and it usually gives me ideas. I enjoy doing it, and I almost lost it this week and was about to be upset, but fortunately it made it into the Lost and Found at Barnes and Noble.

Pain Killer by Barry Meier -- A "wonder" drug's trail of addiction and death -- story of Oxycontin.... extremely interesting so far..

Innocent Traitor By Alison Weir. It's about Lady Jane Grey who, for about two weeks during the 16th century, was the Queen of England at 14-years old. I was practically obsessed with the 1986 movie starring Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes back when I was in high school (and, let's face it, many years after that! ). The book begins with her birth and follows her life up until her execution. I'm not too far into it - she's about 5 right now - but I'm loving it. So well written and with a great heroine.

I'm also trudging my way through The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens for the book club at work. I haven't had such great luck with Dickens in the past, but I'm giving this one a shot. Nothing more embarrassing than facilitating a book club when you haven't read the book
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread