+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2744572;
    For those who were curious about it, I am now reading Rhett Butler's People. It's actually quite good, and quite interesting, which is a huge relief after the abomination that was Scarlett. I am going to have to read GWTW again, though, to refresh my memory about the intersecting parts of the story. I've read it about twenty times, but the last time was about fifteen years ago, and I can't for the life of me remember Scarlett spending time in Charleston...oh wait, maybe I do. After Charles died, was it? Eh, going to have to read it.
    Rattus, glad to hear its not at all like Scarlett. I may go grab my GWTW and re-read it. I'm like you, it's been a while, even though I've read it several times. And then get the Rhett book from the library.
    Ha, seems like I'm really on a Civil War reading binge at the moment if I now pick up GWTW again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

An addendum to my earlier review of Rhett Butler's People. I enjoyed the early portion of the book wherein Rhett's youth was discussed, however I'm finding the latter portion of the book, wherein Rhett's relationship with Scarlett is being discussed to be a little simplistic and just kind of...icky. The author is apparently much more interested in the events surrounding the war then he is with human relationships. This is actually fine with me, but I wanted to warn anyone who might expect a heartfelt romance that they will be disappointed.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member

I am reading Rhett Butler's People I love those Gone with the Wind sequel books this one is way better than Scarlett was

Premium Member

it has some romantic elements to it but I agree I would have enjoyed more romance and less history oh well a guy wrote it what do you expect LOL

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;2747912;
    it has some romantic elements to it but I agree I would have enjoyed more romance and less history oh well a guy wrote it what do you expect LOL
    Well I think I may give it a try. I'd prefer more history and less romance.

I've also heard good things about the author and his other books, so may give those a try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2748342;
    Well I think I may give it a try. I'd prefer more history and less romance.

I've also heard good things about the author and his other books, so may give those a try as well.
    I'm thinking of giving at least one more of his books a read. I quite enjoyed RBP pretty much up to the time where he and Scarlett got married. Personally, if I had written the book, I would have fleshed out the earlier years, including greater detail about the war and general social aspects of the south at that time, and finished it at the time of the marriage, since that was all covered sufficiently in GWTW.

A caveat, though - I hate romance novels, so others may enjoy what I really didn't.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2748375;
    I'm thinking of giving at least one more of his books a read. I quite enjoyed RBP pretty much up to the time where he and Scarlett got married. Personally, if I had written the book, I would have fleshed out the earlier years, including greater detail about the war and general social aspects of the south at that time, and finished it at the time of the marriage, since that was all covered sufficiently in GWTW.

A caveat, though - I hate romance novels, so others may enjoy what I really didn't.
    I don't like romance novels either (strangely enough, I like Diana Gabaldon's books which are kind of romance, but more history than romance. Or at least I think so. . Let me know if you do give more of his books a try and what you think of them. I am currenly so backed up on books, that it will be a while before I get a chance for Rhett Butler's People or anything else by the same author.

elk

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susana Clarke. A book so big, it fell right out of its spine while I was reading it.

The story is about two rival magicians in Victorian England. I am really enjoying it, but it's so big that it is hard to read.

Has anyone else read it?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2748837;
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susana Clarke. A book so big, it fell right out of its spine while I was reading it.

The story is about two rival magicians in Victorian England. I am really enjoying it, but it's so big that it is hard to read.

Has anyone else read it?
    Oh, I liked The Prestige, is it anything like that?

I'm reading a huge book at the present and its darn hard to read in bed because its so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2748837;

Has anyone else read it?
    It's in my pile of "need to read" books. I have it in paperback and it looks a bit more manageable. Please give a review when you finish!

I spent two days doing nothing but reading this past Sunday and Monday. On Sunday, I re-read John Callahan's autobiography Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot. I just love his cartoons and his book was fantastic, although pretty dark and upsetting because much of the book deals with either his alcoholism or the challenges of being quadrapeligic in this country. It definitely changed the way I look at is cartoons.

Monday, I read Tawni O'Dell's Sister Mine, which turned out to be totally different than I expected. I really enjoyed it and haven't devoured a book this quickly in a long time. I pretty much ignored everything (including the phone and the TV) until I finished it. Here's the blurb from amazon:
    Policewoman-turned-cabbie Shae-Lynn Penrose, a little over 40 and back in Jolly Mount after a rent-a-cop stint in Washington, D.C., raised son Clay (24 and the town deputy) on her own. For the past 18 years, she has believed that her sister, Shannon, was killed by their abusive father while Shae-Lynn was at college. (Their mother died of complications after giving birth to Shannon; their father was killed much later in a mine explosion.) When a New York lawyer turns up asking for Shannon Penrose, whom he seems to have seen recently, Shae-Lynn is shocked; when Shannon herself suddenly turns up, very pregnant, Shae-Lynn's reaction is primal and tactile. As O'Dell slowly unspools Shannon's very-much-of-her-own-doing predicament, O'Dell demonstrates her mastery of set-piece dialogue, reeling off stingingly acute encounters that are as funny as they can be crushingly sad. Ne'er-do-well Choker Simms (and his two kids, Fanci and Kenny), lawyer Gerald Kozlowski, mine owner Cam Jack, Shae-Lynn's nonboyfriend E.J., Shannon's sort-of-boyfriend Dmitri and others are all wonderfully drawn through Shae-Lynn's keen observations. Family saga O'Dell-style crackles with conflict and a deep understanding of the complications and burdens that follow attachment, sex, love and kinship.
    Amazon.com: Sister Mine: A Novel: Books: Tawni O'Dell
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread