+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2741247;
    Have you read anything else by Jay McInerney? I read The Good Life upon its release last year and enjoyed it very much. Note to self: get Bright Lights, Bright City.

I think I read Bright Lights, Big City about 12 years ago... If I did, I was way too young to appreciate it. I'm definitely going to read more of his wine books, though.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Greenappleage;2741030;
    A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
    I gave this to my husband for Christmas and he's reading it. He LOVES Hawking.

Elk, the Artemis Fowl books I thought were good. I enjoyed them. I liked Quickie better than Double Cross, but it was ok. Quickie reminded me of the Patterson from the first books he wrote.

I'm reading Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon. Loved her Mitford Series and this is not quite like Mitford, but it has Father Tim in it and its been really good.

I also read Bad Dogs Have More Fun by the same guy that wrote Marley and Me that I LOVED. This is not that good. It's just a collection of his newspaper columns, very few having to do with animals. I feel it was misrepresented and was quickly done to cash in on his Marley and Me success. I wish I could take it back, but it was a Christmas present. It will get donated to the next fundrasier booksale.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-05-2008 at 06:56 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2741247;
    Have you read anything else by Jay McInerney? I read The Good Life upon its release last year and enjoyed it very much. Note to self: get Bright Lights, Bright City.
    I've read both Story of My Life and The Last of the Savages. I enjoyed both of them but I have a special fondness for Story of My Life. It has a young woman as the main character and takes place in New York during the Coketastic 80's. It seemed so glamorous to me when I first read it, now it just seems nostalgic and sad.

I spent the better part of last night in bed, frantically reading The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen. It's a real page turner, a bit on the gory side, partially set in 1830's Boston. Great stuff.

The Bone Garden whetted my appetite for historical detective novels, so I'm about to pick up The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld, a murder mystery set in early 20th century New York. The detective? Oh, a certain Sigmund Freud. Should be interesting. Anyone read it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2742863;
    I've read both Story of My Life and The Last of the Savages. I enjoyed both of them but I have a special fondness for Story of My Life. It has a young woman as the main character and takes place in New York during the Coketastic 80's. It seemed so glamorous to me when I first read it, now it just seems nostalgic and sad.
    Funny, I was thinking about Story of my Life yesterday while I was wandering about. It's been years since I read it, but I recall being really impressed by McInerney's voice as a woman - as a woman, it didn't ring a wrong note to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2741343;
    I loved Water for Elephants, lildago. What a lyrical, lovely book!

I've finished: Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (haunting), The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (very enjoyable) and Attonement by Ian McKewan (wow, incredibly long - this book could have been about 75 pages long if not for the never ending descriptions, lol).
    I just finished Atonement too, and it was long, especially because I had the stumpy paperback edition (480 pages!). I really hated the ending, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie.

And not to be self-congratulatory, but I totally kept last year's New Years resolution to read (roughly) a new book a week for the year. Atonement was my 52nd book, YAY!
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

Gone with the wind book2.

I just started The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing. I'm just one chapter in, but so far it's good. It'll be very interesting to see how the story develops

MRD

I'm now reading "The Scots-Irish of the Carolinas", a book about Gen. Robert E. Lee and "The Coming of the Glory" which is a history of the Civil War.

History has now replaced my "light" reading once again. I alternate between all three books.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

For those who were curious about it, I am now reading Rhett Butler's People. It's actually quite good, and quite interesting, which is a huge relief after the abomination that was Scarlett. I am going to have to read GWTW again, though, to refresh my memory about the intersecting parts of the story. I've read it about twenty times, but the last time was about fifteen years ago, and I can't for the life of me remember Scarlett spending time in Charleston...oh wait, maybe I do. After Charles died, was it? Eh, going to have to read it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread