+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2737626;
    Currently reading I Am American (And So Can You). Tee hee. Mr. Colbert is one funny, funny man.

Just finished Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson. Per usual, good, solidly entertaining crime fiction, though I've never been more impressed with his work than I was by the first book of his I read, In a Dry Season.
    I LOVE Colbert. That was a great book too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am currently reading Steve & Me by Terri Irwin. Its very good, she just talks about her younger days and then when she met Steve. I highly suggest you get it if you haven't already.

I have to get the Colbert book, then. I don't usually read that type of stuff, but awhile back I read my brother's copy of Jon Stewart's America and laughed myself sick.

I've finally started Middlesex - too early in to have an opinion, but I'm liking what I've read so far.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2737715;
    I have to get the Colbert book, then. I don't usually read that type of stuff, but awhile back I read my brother's copy of Jon Stewart's America and laughed myself sick.

I've finally started Middlesex - too early in to have an opinion, but I'm liking what I've read so far.
    Colbert's is very Colbert in style. Very self absorbed, but really funny. It's typically Stephen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Since the reviews were good, I picked it up at the library. Who knew a story about an Ivy League vet student who runs away to join the circus during the Depression could be so good? So far, I'm loving this!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm reading Bacchus and Me, by Jay McInerney. Started it today, and I was doing that embarrassing thing where I start actually laughing out loud on the subway... during the intro.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2740744;
    I'm reading Bacchus and Me, by Jay McInerney. Started it today, and I was doing that embarrassing thing where I start actually laughing out loud on the subway... during the intro.
    Have you read anything else by Jay McInerney? I read The Good Life upon its release last year and enjoyed it very much. Note to self: get Bright Lights, Bright City.

I recently finished the latest Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes. It's not quite up there with My Sister's Keeper and The Tenth Circle IMO, but the pages kept turning and I thought the characters were well-defined. I'm glad I waited for the paperback, though; hardcover-worthy, it ain't. (Again, in my ever so humble opinion.)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2740687;
    I'm reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Since the reviews were good, I picked it up at the library. Who knew a story about an Ivy League vet student who runs away to join the circus during the Depression could be so good? So far, I'm loving this!
    I loved Water for Elephants, lildago. What a lyrical, lovely book!

I've finished: Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (haunting), The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (very enjoyable) and Attonement by Ian McKewan (wow, incredibly long - this book could have been about 75 pages long if not for the never ending descriptions, lol).

Next up, Double Cross by Patterson.

I also have the Artemis Fowl books and then hope to get to the next in the Golden Compass series.

Happy New Year to my fellow readers!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Over the holidays I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory (on someone's recommendation from here) and I loved it, so that took me to "The Boleyn Inheritance" and "The Queen's Fool". All read in the past 2 weeks What can I say? When I like it, I like it. Tonight I'll start "The Virgin's Lover" and then I'll have to wait until May for "The Other Queen"
    All are novels based in Tudor fact with much juicy fiction thrown in. The Boleyn books cover the fall of Katherine of Aragon, the rise of Anne Boleyn (as told from her sister Mary's point of view) Then goes on to eavesdrop on the court of the next 4 wives of Henry VIII. The Queen's Fool goes back and forth between the court of Mary I (aka Bloody Mary) and Elizabeth I and the ascension to the throne of England for each. The Virgin's lover is all about Elizabeth's reign and the next in the series (yet to be released) will cover the battle between Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots.
    I've become enthralled with the royal courts of the 15th and 16th centuries. I've also just bought The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis and The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll. The Borgias and the Di Medicis - I can't wait to dive in!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread