+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Rattus and Veruka, you guys read the Rhett book and let me know how it is. Then I'll give it a try if it's not as bad as Scarlett.

I have my great-grandmother's first edition copy of GWTW. I won't let anyone touch it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, a short story collection with some free verse thrown in. Some of the stories are really brilliant - "A Study In Emerald" is amazing, and apparently won an award for short stories - and some of the poetry is interesting, even for someone like me who isn't a fan of verse.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished the 4th book in the Montmorency series. Either it is a cliff-hanger for the 5th (unwritten) book or it is the worst ending of a series ever. I remember feeling this way after reading all of the Clan of the Cave Bear series before the last one came out... it ended with them returning to the boyfriend's home but not how she was received there. Then the next book didn't come out for years... lots of years.
    Count your blessings!

I'm currently reading two books I got for christmas. I am reading His Dark Materials, a collection of the trilogy of books the movie The Golden Compass was based off. And Uncle John's Bathroom Read World of Odd.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2734798;
    I'm currently reading two books I got for christmas. I am reading His Dark Materials, a collection of the trilogy of books the movie The Golden Compass was based off. And Uncle John's Bathroom Read World of Odd.
    My daughter got that. I can't wait to read it. How is it so far?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

elk

Hope everyone is having a terrific holiday season!

I am just finishing Almost Moon by Alice Sebold - what a book!!!! Anyone care to comment?

I recently finished:
    Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
    New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
    Eclipse by Stephaine Meyer (have now read all three and am absolutely enchanted!)

They got me in a YA mood, so I purchased:
    The first four Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer
    The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman
    Atonement by Ian McKewan
    More Twisted by Jeffrey Deaver
    Eragon
    the first Kenneth Oppel book (can't remember the name)

Has anyone read any of those and would you let me know your thoughts, please?

In my library pile I have another Lionel Shriver book The Post Birthday World. After reading Let's Talk About Kevin and hearing everyone's comments on it I got this. Thanks, Geek and all!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I just finished a delightfully light,funny book called Switcheroo... by Olivia Goldsmith (she wrote The First Wives Club) It is about a woman who finds out her husband is having an affair. She goes to confront the woman and she could be a younger, thinner twin. The mistress wants a husband and security. The wife wants passion. They go away together and the wife has a facelift, loses weight, and lightens her hair. The mistress puts on weight and darkens her hair. The husband of course never notices. Pretty funny if you're willing to suspend disbelief. Of course everyone involved has a happy ending.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I'm reading Rosemary's Baby right now.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2717837;
    Diane Mott Davidson does mysteries and I don't think they are too gory. Her character is a caterer, so there is a lot of food talk in the books too.

Jan Karon has a fabulous series out that starts with At Home in Mitford. I think there are about 9 books in the series. I loved them and so did my mother. I've read each book at least twice now.
    Two excellent choices. What I really like in the Goldi series (Davidson) is the heroine isn't some exotic beauty, she is a normal person. Plus the recipes included in the book sound so good.

I love Jan Karon, too. The Mitford books are great. I want to live there.

I agree that Scarlett was horrible. It's like she wrote a book with characters of the same name and if she threw in enough "fiddle dee dee's she would have a sequel.

Currently reading I Am American (And So Can You). Tee hee. Mr. Colbert is one funny, funny man.

Just finished Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson. Per usual, good, solidly entertaining crime fiction, though I've never been more impressed with his work than I was by the first book of his I read, In a Dry Season.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread