+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #3071
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2726707;
    Has anyone by chance read A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon? I absolutely adored his first novel, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.
    I did read it. Although I liked it, I felt it was lacking some of the heart of his first book. There were many funny sections, but the sad parts were just a little too depressing for me. I would recommend it, but with the caution that it's definitely not as good as The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.

    On a related note, it must be kind of a double-edged knife when your first novel is so adored. You want people to like and enjoy your work, but living up the the standard of that first "golden" book must be stressful. I think that is why Harper Lee never wrote another novel after To Kill A Mockingbird.

  2. #3072
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2726861;
    I did read it. Although I liked it, I felt it was lacking some of the heart of his first book. There were many funny sections, but the sad parts were just a little too depressing for me. I would recommend it, but with the caution that it's definitely not as good as The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.

    On a related note, it must be kind of a double-edged knife when your first novel is so adored. You want people to like and enjoy your work, but living up the the standard of that first "golden" book must be stressful. I think that is why Harper Lee never wrote another novel after To Kill A Mockingbird.
    Thanks for the input! You are so right about the follow up to a brillant first novel! I have read that one of the primary reasons that Haddon went the path of working through multiple characters in A Spot of Bother was an attempt to get away from too many comparsions to Curious. But you can certanly understand the approach of others like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell in just not bothering!

  3. #3073
    FORT Fan Mya26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    188

    Re: What are you reading?

    Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett. I can't put it down.

  4. #3074
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2726861;
    I did read it. Although I liked it, I felt it was lacking some of the heart of his first book. There were many funny sections, but the sad parts were just a little too depressing for me. I would recommend it, but with the caution that it's definitely not as good as The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.

    On a related note, it must be kind of a double-edged knife when your first novel is so adored. You want people to like and enjoy your work, but living up the the standard of that first "golden" book must be stressful. I think that is why Harper Lee never wrote another novel after To Kill A Mockingbird.
    And neither did Margaret Mitchell after Gone with the Wind.

    There is a new novel out about Rhett Butler. It was bad enough they did one called Scarlett several years ago.

    Why must people think they can write sequels to classic books that the author never intended to happen. Sacrilege I tell you!

    note to self, learn to spell sacrilege.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  5. #3075
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: What are you reading?

    Oh, lord, I read Scarlett when it came out only because I had read Gone With the Wind about twenty times. Scarlett is, without a doubt, the worst book I have ever read (that I can recall, at any rate). I mean, she had Scarlett giggling. Giggling! Scarlett was in no way, shape or form a giggler. Did the stupid woman not even read GWTW before she wrote the sequel? So, I can't imagine the circumstances which could cause me to read a further sequel.

    Okay, the inevitable curiousity will make me read it
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  6. #3076
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2728713;
    Oh, lord, I read Scarlett when it came out only because I had read Gone With the Wind about twenty times. Scarlett is, without a doubt, the worst book I have ever read (that I can recall, at any rate). I mean, she had Scarlett giggling. Giggling! Scarlett was in no way, shape or form a giggler. Did the stupid woman not even read GWTW before she wrote the sequel? So, I can't imagine the circumstances which could cause me to read a further sequel.

    Okay, the inevitable curiousity will make me read it
    I felt the SAME way. I absolutely love GWTW and have read it many times. But Scarlett was horrible.

    And the Rhett Butler book is by a different author ans no way, I won't read it at all! I know better this time.

    Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #3077
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: What are you reading?

    I heard enough bad things about Scarlett that i never bothered to read it, and have never felt i missed anything. But I have to admit, I'm intrigued by Rhett Butler's People. It is NOT a sequel. Rather, its an attempt to tell the story of Gone With the Wind from Rhett's point of view. When it was first released, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did quite a few features on it, including a section where they showed some excerpts of Rhett Butler's People, comparing them to the same scenes from Gone With the Wind. I don't think it is near the masterpiece that GWTW is. But i think it is a much more interesting literary exercise than Scarlett was. To me, Scarlett was just an attempt to cash in on the love for GWTW. Rhett Butler's People seems more like a creative examination of a masterpiece.

    When it comes out in paperback, I'll probably give it a try.

  8. #3078
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2729800;
    I heard enough bad things about Scarlett that i never bothered to read it, and have never felt i missed anything. But I have to admit, I'm intrigued by Rhett Butler's People. It is NOT a sequel. Rather, its an attempt to tell the story of Gone With the Wind from Rhett's point of view. When it was first released, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did quite a few features on it, including a section where they showed some excerpts of Rhett Butler's People, comparing them to the same scenes from Gone With the Wind. I don't think it is near the masterpiece that GWTW is. But i think it is a much more interesting literary exercise than Scarlett was. To me, Scarlett was just an attempt to cash in on the love for GWTW. Rhett Butler's People seems more like a creative examination of a masterpiece.

    When it comes out in paperback, I'll probably give it a try.
    Okay, I'm intrigued . I've put it on hold at the library and it looks like I'll be getting it at the same time as The Shock Doctrine, The Unknown Terrorist and The Braindead Megaphone. Looks like I'm in for some happy, lighthearted winter reading.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  9. #3079
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;1772838;
    Since we're talking about authors dealing with historical fiction: have you (or anyone else, for that matter) read anything by Sarah Waters? She writes beautiful, engaging periodic novels with a twist - they all deal with lesbianism in one way or another. Tipping the Velvet was made into an excellent BBC mini series a couple or years ago; her other two novel set in the 1800's are Affinity and Fingersmith. Great, great stuff: think Dickens without the Victorian inhibitions. I'm a sucker for 19th century London and I love unorthodox love stories, so she's become one of my favourite British authors. Her brand new novel Night Watch is a slight departure time-wise, although it's still historical fiction. It takes place during WW2 and has received great reviews in the U.K. Can't wait to read it.
    I just love Sarah Waters. I actually read The Night Watch first, so finding out she had 3 previous books set in Victorian England was a wonderful surprise. I am just finishing Fingersmith, and I'm reading very slowly because I don't want it to end.

  10. #3080
    FORT Regular RealitiniMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    114

    Re: What are you reading?

    Steve Martin's 'Born Standing Up'

    Excellent autobio. He credits just about everyone who he has ever met from the time he started at Disneyland's Magic Castle to where he ended his stand-up career and started his movie one.

    A great read which doesn't slow down or get mushy.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.