+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Geek, Rattus, Brunette Trixie, AJane and anyone else who has read We Need to Talk About Kevin:

Even after finishing the book about a week ago, I am still thinking about it. I still dislike most of the characters; but the writing was wonderful and it brought up some really interesting questions re: nature vs nuture.

I believe Kevin was (to put it roughly) 'born bad'. I remember reading a book years and years ago about Nancy Spoengen (girlfriend of a deceased punk rocker - I think it was Sid Vicious) written by her mom. Apparantly, Nancy was a 'bad seed' right out of the womb.

Further to that thought, I think Kevin's mom escalated her son's tendencies by being a rather spoiled, difficult mother. The father also contributed by going the opposite route, which Kevin took as opportunity to constantly mock him.

I'll be thinking about this for a long time, thank you so much, Geek for recommending it!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2715640;
    Right now, I'm all about Tom Perrotta. Seeing how much I enjoyed his latest effort, The Abstinence Teacher, I bought two more Perrotta novels last week: Little Children and The Wishbones and read them back to back. Methinks I've discovered a new name to add to my list of favourite authors - that's right, the hardcover worthy ones.
    Coincidentally, Geek, I am just finishing The Abstinence Teacher and can't wait to see what happens next. I read Little Children and saw the film) earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Perrotta's writing reminds me a little of Ann Tyler; The Abstinence Teacher is somewhat like her Saint Maybe.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2722078;
    Coincidentally, Geek, I am just finishing The Abstinence Teacher and can't wait to see what happens next. I read Little Children and saw the film) earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Perrotta's writing reminds me a little of Ann Tyler; The Abstinence Teacher is somewhat like her Saint Maybe.
    It's so funny you should say that, because that's who Tom Perrotta reminds me of, too. I think it's the fact that both Anne Tyler and Tom Perrotta are immensely readable and literary at the same time.

AJane, I actually rented Little Children earlier today and will watch it right after dinner. Can't wait. I loved In the Bedroom, which Todd Field also directed, and I think that Field's knack for portraying quiet desperation teamed up with Perrotta's dark sense of humour will prove to be a great combo.

I just started reading Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk. Beautiful use of language, and a premise that reminds me of Mrs Dalloway. Do look into it. Also, to get into the spirit of the season, I've been reading Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie and loved every minute of it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD

Did some of you say you had read Atonement? It's recently been made into a movie. If you've read it, what did you think about the book?

Thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2723492;
    Did some of you say you had read Atonement? It's recently been made into a movie. If you've read it, what did you think about the book?

Thanks.
    MsFroggy and I posted about it on page 303. I liked the book; she did not.
    Haven't seen the film yet.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2723997;
    MsFroggy and I posted about it on page 303. I liked the book; she did not.
    Haven't seen the film yet.
    Thanks. I went back and read your discussion. Hmm, not sure if I will read it or not. I seem to be always behind the times on everything here lately (books, movies, music), didn't even know about the movie until today and they said it was based on a book.

Thanks for the info (do I dare admit that I skim a lot on this thread sometimes? That's probably why I missed your discussion of it. Sorry )

MRD

I just posted in the "I am Legend" thread in movies about this book and thought I'd post the book here too.

I read this in high school and it made a huge impact on me. It's a very good book about rural Florida following nuclear war and the small band of survivors.

The book is called Alas, Babylon. It was written in 1959, but its still in print and a very good book if anyone is interested. It my be over 40 years old, but the story survives today despite all that has come and gone in that 40 plus years.

Because "I am Legend" has spawned debate on what the world is like following the mass extinction of the human race, you might like to read this book about a similar subject.

(and stock up on whiskey and cigerettes, money won't be any good after the "event", but you can barter the other stuff like it's gold. )

I'm dividing my time at present between Scott Smith's The Ruins, a supposed horror novel, James W. Lowen's Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension Of American Racism, and Tom Segev's 1967: Israel, The War, And The Year That Tranformed The Middle East.

So far, 1967 is the only one I'd recommend to someone else.

On the cover of The Ruins, there is a review blurb from Stephen King featured, with him describing The Ruins as "The best horror novel of the new century." The only reason I can so far imagine him saying such a thing is that I'm almost 90 pages in before there is any concrete evidence of something to be dreaded or feared. Way to milk it, Mr. Smith. At least he isn't as obvious as King, avoiding the repetitiveness of King or at least more ably disguising it. To be honest, there are whiffs and minute glimpses of something approaching from the very beginning, but I really believe that is more ME as a consumer reaching for an illusory or imaginary brass ring rather than there being an actual horrific element.

Lowen is a professor emeritus of Sociology at the University of vermont, but mostly I think of him (so far) as being somewhat LAZY from what I've read so far of his book.

Segev is pleasingly surprising to me. I picked up his book expecting a one-sided white wash like most other so-called histories I've seen out of that neck of the woods, but this guy appears (so far to be the real deal).

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2725501;
    I'm dividing my time at present between Scott Smith's The Ruins, a supposed horror novel, James W. Lowen's Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension Of American Racism, and Tom Segev's 1967: Israel, The War, And The Year That Tranformed The Middle East.

So far, 1967 is the only one I'd recommend to someone else.

On the cover of The Ruins, there is a review blurb from Stephen King featured, with him describing The Ruins as "The best horror novel of the new century." The only reason I can so far imagine him saying such a thing is that I'm almost 90 pages in before there is any concrete evidence of something to be dreaded or feared. Way to milk it, Mr. Smith. At least he isn't as obvious as King, avoiding the repetitiveness of King or at least more ably disguising it. To be honest, there are whiffs and minute glimpses of something approaching from the very beginning, but I really believe that is more ME as a consumer reaching for an illusory or imaginary brass ring rather than there being an actual horrific element.

Lowen is a professor emeritus of Sociology at the University of vermont, but mostly I think of him (so far) as being somewhat LAZY from what I've read so far of his book.

Segev is pleasingly surprising to me. I picked up his book expecting a one-sided white wash like most other so-called histories I've seen out of that neck of the woods, but this guy appears (so far to be the real deal).
    Thanks for the info. I have read several books on the 6 day war and like you said, most were one sided. I think I may have to check this one out.
    I recently saw a very good documentary on the 6 day war and for the life of me, cannot remember the name of it.

Just finished The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz. It wasnt the best of his books but still an enjoyable read. The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

FORT Fogey

Has anyone by chance read A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon? I absolutely adored his first novel, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. I'm intrigued by his follow-up, and since I'm in need of a new book right now and in the mood for something like that, I was going to look into A Spot of Bother. But I have not heard much about it, and was curious to see what anyone who may have read it may think of it. In short, I don't want to get all excited about it if it doesn't live up to the brillance of his first novel!

+ Reply to Thread