+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2717078;
    How about Caroline Graham, Reginald Hill, P.D. James, Ruth Rendell and Peter Robinson?
    I love P.D. James and Ruth Rendell, both such excellent writers. Have you ever read any of the Barbara Vine (Rendell's pseudonym) novels? A Dark Adapted Eye is one of my favorite books of all time.

Uncle David, I would also suggest Anne Perry and Elizabeth Peters. I especially like the Amanda Peabody series on audio. They are read by Barbara Rosenblat, and she does an excellent job.

David - have you looked into Sue Grafton's ABC books? I haven't read one in a while but, as I remember, they aren't too bloody and aren't very racy. Your mother might enjoy them
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2717295;
    David - have you looked into Sue Grafton's ABC books? I haven't read one in a while but, as I remember, they aren't too bloody and aren't very racy. Your mother might enjoy them
    Mom's a frail 82, and had her 'racy' removed years ago. Sounds perfect for her.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2716788;
    It's always difficult for me to find audio books that my aged mother enjoys. She likes thrillers and mysteries, but the modern authors are often too gory for her. Lately I've started her on the Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp series. She's in love. She can't wait to get to the next one. However, the series is limited and I'll have to find something else to get for her. Any suggestions?
    I also recommend Sue Grafton like Critical mentioned. How about Mary Higgins Clark? Her mysteries are not too intense and there is no "racy".

MRD

Diane Mott Davidson does mysteries and I don't think they are too gory. Her character is a caterer, so there is a lot of food talk in the books too.

Debbie Macomber does some good books too. She has a knitting series called the Shop on Blossom Street and Back on Blossom Street and some other books too. The Blossom street ones are not mysteries but books about friendships and relationships, but not racy. I liked them a lot because they weren't all violence and sex.

Jan Karon has a fabulous series out that starts with At Home in Mitford. I think there are about 9 books in the series. I loved them and so did my mother. I've read each book at least twice now.

Phillip Gulley does a series about a town called Harmony that are hysterical.
    Home to Harmony is one of them. But the Christmas one was my favorite. The progressive manager scene in that book still has me chuckling.

The Miss Julia books are fabulous too by Ann B. Ross. Someone here reccomended them and I have loved them.

All of these books I would give to my mom, grandmother, great aunts, etc., if they were still alive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2717181;
    I love P.D. James and Ruth Rendell, both such excellent writers. Have you ever read any of the Barbara Vine (Rendell's pseudonym) novels? A Dark Adapted Eye is one of my favorite books of all time.
    Yep, love Barbara Vine. I don't believe that I've read A Dark Adapted Eye yet, but I will eventually. I keep a bibliography of all the authors I listed and several others in my wallet with the books I currently own highlighted so I can pick up those that I don't have when I come across them (I had a field day in a used book store in Ottawa this summer). Once I've highlighted every book on the list, I will have to build a new set of bookshelves and start another list .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2717310;
    Mom's a frail 82, and had her 'racy' removed years ago. Sounds perfect for her.
    LOL! My Grandmother is 91 and she loves Nora Roberts. She was reading Danielle Steale...but got sick of those.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Thanks everyone. This should help greatly.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I'm currently reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Or make that, trying to read. I agree with everyone that's said that this is a wonderfully written story but for some reason I just can't seem to be able to make myself go on.

I loved The Lovely Bones and even though I did find some aspects of it horrific
    Click to see Spoiler:
    (reading about Suzy's rape and murder was not easy)
    , it's one of my all time favourite books.

I started reading this book about three weeks ago and from the first page I found myself being gripped by the story. But
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Helen killed her mother
    , I think I was horrified, and I just found it more and more difficult to go on.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When I came to the part where Helen drags her mother's dead body to the basement with the intention apparently to dismember her,
    I closed the book, placed it on my bedside table and that's where it's been ever since. I can't seem to make myself pick up the book and read it, even though I do want to know what happens and how this wonderful, dark, tragic story ends. I'm thinking about giving it a try tonight. It's the kind of writing you just can't seem to be able to put out of your head.

Anyway, sorry for all the spoiler tags. I'm not really sure how to tell if what I'm writing is considered a spoiler or not, so just to be on the safe side I use them .

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;2718839;
    I'm currently reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Or make that, trying to read. I agree with everyone that's said that this is a wonderfully written story but for some reason I just can't seem to be able to make myself go on.

I loved The Lovely Bones and even though I did find some aspects of it horrific
    Click to see Spoiler:
    (reading about Suzy's rape and murder was not easy)
    , it's one of my all time favourite books.

I started reading this book about three weeks ago and from the first page I found myself being gripped by the story. But
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Helen killed her mother
    , I think I was horrified, and I just found it more and more difficult to go on.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When I came to the part where Helen drags her mother's dead body to the basement with the intention apparently to dismember her,
    I closed the book, placed it on my bedside table and that's where it's been ever since. I can't seem to make myself pick up the book and read it, even though I do want to know what happens and how this wonderful, dark, tragic story ends. I'm thinking about giving it a try tonight. It's the kind of writing you just can't seem to be able to put out of your head.

Anyway, sorry for all the spoiler tags. I'm not really sure how to tell if what I'm writing is considered a spoiler or not, so just to be on the safe side I use them .
    I wanted to read Alice Siebold. I wanted to like the Lovely Bones, but I couldn't finish it. I have a hard time with that kind of subject matter.
    But then again, I read a lot of other murder type stories that didn't affect me as much as hers do. Sometimes I guess the subject is too close to home and when Lovely Bones came out, my daughter was the same age as the girl in the book, so that could be why I had a problem with it.

My daughter bought my husband "My Father's Secret War" for Christmas. I am so itching to get MY hands on it, I can't stand it. Since she works in a book store, I knew we are all getting books for Christmas and I can't WAIT to see what she got me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread