+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just started 'Eat Pray Love' as so many people have reccomended it to me. One of my friends sent it to me, a family member bought it for me. I can see why. It mirrors my own journey through divorce and then getting into a fast love relationship. I guess I am not the only one that just dived into another relationship head first after my separation/divorce from my husband. So true that time heals. Loved that she called 'continuing education' a social circle for divorced women.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fan

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
    by Mark R. Levin. It takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride but is beautifully writen and a portion of the proceeds benefits animal shelters.

In between packing boxes of books for my move (I'm up to 56 boxes - yes, I counted ), I'm re-reading Susan Vreeland's The Passion of Artemesia. I read it so many years ago and thought I'd read it again now that I actually know more about the artist. I love Vreeland's writing and this is one of her best. Plus, it's one of the only books I own that isn't sealed into a box!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I'm still working my way through The Fiery Cross (it's HUGE) and Red Hills and Cotton. I alternate between the two books.

As my daughter works at a book store and I listed books I wanted for Christmas, I feel like I need to time these two books to finish so I can start my new books on Christmas day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Right now, I'm all about Tom Perrotta. Seeing how much I enjoyed his latest effort, The Abstinence Teacher, I bought two more Perrotta novels last week: Little Children and The Wishbones and read them back to back. Methinks I've discovered a new name to add to my list of favourite authors - that's right, the hardcover worthy ones. Little Children is a darkly comical satire set in the 'burbs, whereas The Wishbones read a bit like High Fidelity set in Bruce Springsteen land instead of London's Camden Town. I'm - yay! - going to New York over the holidays and plan on spending an obscene amount of time visiting book stores. I'll definitely purchase Tom Perrotta's entire back catalogue on one of those excursions.

Anyone who has any fabulous NYC book stores to tell me about? Preferably smallish and cozy, but I don't mind a list of the big palatial stores as well. I already plan visit Shakespeare and Company on 716 Broadway, as well as the Strand Bookstore and at least one of the huge ones. Feel free to add to my list.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm about 100 pages into We Need To Talk About Kevin, and thanks to you all for recommending it. Beautiful writing - I'm beyond impressed with Shriver's talent. Incredibly engrossing, too...I had to make myself put it down last night.

While the writing itself is beyond reproach, I'm not really happy with the demonization of a mother who didn't bond with her child. Ugh...even the merest hint that the troubled kids IRL who participated in mass shootings were the "victims" of unloving parents strikes me as grossly unfair. And it's annoying to me how dad gets let off the hook. Maybe I'll change my mind a bit once I get further in.

geek, Little Children was made into a movie with Kate Winslet. It got virtually no attention, but if you liked the book, you'll probably enjoy the movie.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2715919;
    While the writing itself is beyond reproach, I'm not really happy with the demonization of a mother who didn't bond with her child. Ugh...even the merest hint that the troubled kids IRL who participated in mass shootings were the "victims" of unloving parents strikes me as grossly unfair. And it's annoying to me how dad gets let off the hook. Maybe I'll change my mind a bit once I get further in.
    I just went downstairs and bought a copy because I have to read it again after all this talk (I read it three or four years ago - library borrow).

While I didn't actually much like Eva, I did empathize with her. You love who you love, and bond with who you bond with, and nothing can force it to happen, not even giving birth to them. And no, not being loved by your parents doesn't automatically create a sociopath - sadly, I know this from experience. However, the wrong combination of nature and nurture can cause some major psychological damage in some people.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

It's always difficult for me to find audio books that my aged mother enjoys. She likes thrillers and mysteries, but the modern authors are often too gory for her. Lately I've started her on the Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp series. She's in love. She can't wait to get to the next one. However, the series is limited and I'll have to find something else to get for her. Any suggestions?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2716788;
    It's always difficult for me to find audio books that my aged mother enjoys. She likes thrillers and mysteries, but the modern authors are often too gory for her. Lately I've started her on the Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp series. She's in love. She can't wait to get to the next one. However, the series is limited and I'll have to find something else to get for her. Any suggestions?
    How about Caroline Graham, Reginald Hill, P.D. James, Ruth Rendell and Peter Robinson? They're all personal favourites of mine and digging through the vault of my memory, I can't recall much in the way of gore or extreme violence. And of course, there are all the old time gals - Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham and the like. All good stuff.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Thanks! I'll look into those authors.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread