+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree678Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2691711;
    Please let me know what you think about We Need to Talk About Kevin. I read it over a month ago and still can't stop thinking about it. VERY powerful stuff.
    You know, I very rarely avoid a certain book, especially a book that's received so many critically acclaimed reviews, but I don't think I'm strong enough to read this one. I felt myself spiraling into a depression when I read the synopsis. I don't doubt that it's very powerful; maybe it's too powerful for me.

I reread the Philip Pullman His Dark Materials trilogy recently in preparation for The Golden Compass. Wonderful, wonderful books. I haven't read anything else of note that I can remember at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann;2694610;
    You know, I very rarely avoid a certain book, especially a book that's received so many critically acclaimed reviews, but I don't think I'm strong enough to read this one. I felt myself spiraling into a depression when I read the synopsis. I don't doubt that it's very powerful; maybe it's too powerful for me.
    Oh, it's powerful, alright. I experienced just about every range of emotion there is while reading it. Mainly sorrow, anger, and depression, so yes, I can understand where you're coming from. I felt like it was worth the emotional rollercoaster ride, though.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm reading Margret Truman's Murder at the Opera. It's very good and very interesting.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2696123;
    I'm reading Margret Truman's Murder at the Opera. It's very good and very interesting.
    I've always liked Margaret Truman's books. She has done much better as a writer than she did as a singer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bandy

I just finished the other Bolyn girl and Pillars of the Earth. Both were excellent!

I am reading the virgins lover now!

I just finished Labyrinth. I picked it up over Thanksgiving. I couldn't remember which one this thread liked best, The Eight or Labyrinth so I went with the one with the better cover. It was just okay. It was going really well until the climax. I felt it was kind of a let down. I loved all the French stuff and the build up. I think she could've ended it better but it was too predictable and not really exciting once you had it all figured out.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2701985;
    I just finished Labyrinth. I picked it up over Thanksgiving. I couldn't remember which one this thread liked best, The Eight or Labyrinth so I went with the one with the better cover. It was just okay. It was going really well until the climax. I felt it was kind of a let down. I loved all the French stuff and the build up. I think she could've ended it better but it was too predictable and not really exciting once you had it all figured out.
    I liked them both, but I liked The Eight better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I liked both of these two, but liked Rule of Four better than either. I've been absent from the boards for a while and missed several recommendations that I'm going to have to go back and check out. I just finished the sci-fi/fantasy series: Death Gate Cycle. I enjoyed all seven quite a bit! Looking for something in a different genre now, so any recommendations are appreciated.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2691711;
    elk, I loved Water for Elephants, too. Beautiful, beautiful book. Please let me know what you think about We Need to Talk About Kevin. I read it over a month ago and still can't stop thinking about it. VERY powerful stuff.
    Geek, I am almost halfway through We Need to Talk About Kevin and am finding it very compelling. I'm not sure I like Eva; she tends toward self pity (before she was pregnant) and comes off as being a bit of a racist. I do have empathy for that character though. Interestingly, I think every character I've met so far is pretty unlikeable with the exception of the other waiting room mom.

I can see why you are still thinking about it. I'm finding it very hard to put down. Lionel Shriver is quite a talented writer.

What did you think of the characters?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I just started on Atonement by Ian McEwan. I want to read it before I see the movie. So far so good.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread