+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud) and am ready to start on the "Twilight" series - my niece is crazy about it and can't stop talking about it.
    I'm just happy that she enjoys reading!

I recently read Everyman by Philip Roth, a poignant and masterfully written novel about the life and death of a perfectly ordinary man. In less than 200 pages, Roth manages to tell us more about the essence of existence, the fear of growing old and the inevitability of death than most writers are capable of doing in 600+ pages. I'll definitely read more of his stuff.

As for what I'm reading _right now_, well, I started The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks on the bus this morning. So far, so good.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm reading Black Girl, White Girl by Joyce Carol Oates. Not bad, but not as compelling as some of her other work. A bit disappointing since the plotline sounded so interesting.

geek, the plot of that Philip Roth book you're talking about reminds me of a truly beautiful novel by the late Carol Shields, The Stone Diaries. I don't know if you're familiar with her work - she is very well-known here in Canada - but this particular book has never failed to move me. Check it out if you can.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm just finishing The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks(yes, I'm behind) and plan to start Rhett Butler's People by Daniel McCraig next. I'm not a big fan of sequels and usually finish them wishing I'd stopped with the original. But I'm giving this one a shot anyway.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

I loved The Notebook. I finished Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and have started New Moon. I can't wait to finish it so I can start Eclipse, but at the same time I don't want to finish because I don't want to come to the end of the series.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've just finished reading Celebrity Detox by Rosie O'Donnell. It was intense, insightful, deep, introspective. It's obvious she has done a lot of internal work. It's not a whack-o rant, like people have been led to believe. I think the name is misleading for people just walking by; it is about her need to step back and get away from the limelight that comes with celebrity...she needs to detox from the fame. Makes sense to me. Having lost her mother at 10 years old has had a profound and on-going effect on her in that she has looked for a mother in everyone who would be about her mother's age. And she also has the "need to please" disease. This book really gives you a glimpse of a woman who is not the nutcase that people seem to want to portray her as. The book is just a smidgen over 200 pages, and worth the read. It was a book that I had to put down and walk away from a couple of times, just to process what she was sharing. Very interesting. I don't think she really bashes anyone, but she definitely tells you what she thinks. Talk about "things that make you go hmmmm....."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

elk

Welcome back, Geek, we missed you!

Just finished:

Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen - awesome book
    The Food of Love by Anthony Cappela - a sweet book for fans of food, love and Italy
    The Pest House by Jim Crace - a very intriguiging novel about America in the future where disease has wiped out most of the population and those remaining attempt to emigrate to Europe
    The Face of Death by Cory McFayden - a really good thriller with a very different main character

Coming up: We Need to Talk About Kevin, Shadow Man and The Circus in Winter
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

elk, I loved Water for Elephants, too. Beautiful, beautiful book. Please let me know what you think about We Need to Talk About Kevin. I read it over a month ago and still can't stop thinking about it. VERY powerful stuff.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Am reading "Cranford" by Elizabeth Gaskell - picked it up for a buck at a second hand book store; loved "Wives and Daughters" and "Ruth" and this is a lot of fun already in the 2nd page. I believe the BBC are making "Cranford" into a series right now - with Imelda Staunton. Can't wait!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Please give us a review of Cranford when you finish it Britannia! I read Gaskell's North and South about 10 years ago and loved it. I have several other books by her but just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

I'm reading The Rescue Artist by Edward Dolnick for the book club at work. I read it last spring, but need a refresher. The book begins with the theft of Munch's The Scream from the National Gallery in Oslo and goes on to detail recovery efforts. As I remember, it was quite well written and witty. Since it was one of my entries in the reading list I'm hoping that our very opinionated group enjoyed it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread