+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2665966;
    Really though, Cornwell lost me after all that "I solved the Jack the Ripper case" B.S.
    That was the thing that more or less confirmed my opinion that Cornwell is genuinely crazy. Not charming crazy, not eccentric crazy, just plain crazy.

Anyway, I am now reading through a stack of used mysteries I bought this summer. The first book I read was Asking for the Moon by Reginald Hill. I love the Dalziel and Pascoe books, but honestly, if the first one I had read had been this book, I probably wouldn't have gone any further. The fourth novelette (the book contains four of them), One Small Step is just a smidge too silly, and I likely wouldn't have been enticed any further. I followed this up with The Bridesmaid by Ruth Rendell, which I loved, and am now starting Death of an Expert Witness by P.D. James. All good stuff.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2662480;
    Good grief, that's a lot of words strung together in no discernable order. Who is the author? How many books are on that list?

I am reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak.

I LOVE The Book Thief, it is one of the best YA books I've read this year.

I finally finished The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz. It's about how the increase of choices in our lives have made us more depressed. It may sound dumb when summarized like that, but he breaks down the decision making process people go through and shows how opporunity costs and buyers' remorse and the like influence us so that even when we make the right decision, we still have regrets.
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

I realize these are older books, but I was just recently introduced to the Stephanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich. I know - I obviously have had my head somewhere else for the last few years. If I am not the only one who has not read this series ---- rush to your local used book store for them. They are numbered, but do not need to be read in order, necessarily. LOVE THEM

Bailey - what is the storyline of The Book Theif? Sounds kind of intriguing. Not sure what "YA books "means.

Also - Paradox of Choice sounds rather interesting. It really makes sense when you stand back to look at the obvious. Hmmmm

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2669170;
    I realize these are older books, but I was just recently introduced to the Stephanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich. I know - I obviously have had my head somewhere else for the last few years. If I am not the only one who has not read this series ---- rush to your local used book store for them. They are numbered, but do not need to be read in order, necessarily. LOVE THEM
    Don't feel bad. I didn't start reading them until about a year ago. They are funny.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm currently reading The Poseidon Adventure (Paul Gallico). I'm really liking it (seems like "enoying" wouldn't really be the right word). The writing is definately my style and the character development is really good. I have never seen the original movie (just the remake) so the characters are seen only in my head (although I keep seeing Belle Rosen as black, even though I know she's Jewish). I'm almost finished with it and it sure was a great by for me!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2669748;
    I'm currently reading The Poseidon Adventure (Paul Gallico). I'm really liking it (seems like "enoying" wouldn't really be the right word). The writing is definately my style and the character development is really good. I have never seen the original movie (just the remake) so the characters are seen only in my head (although I keep seeing Belle Rosen as black, even though I know she's Jewish). I'm almost finished with it and it sure was a great by for me!
    I never read the book. Hmm, may have to do so. I saw the original movie at the Drive-in.
    And the remake was not nearly as good as the original in my opinion.

I'm reading Practical Magic and I'm liking it too. It's different than the movie somewhat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2669170;
    I enjoyed those books until about 7 books in. At that point, I just became annoyed with Stephanie and her inability to make a d@mn decision about her love life. I didn't get tired of the Kinsey Milhone books nearly as fast. Can't say I've read one of those in a while either though I still do laugh about Stephanie's grandma in her Super Suit

I'm now about halfway through Broken Colors and am completely in love with it. I was up until 3 a.m. reading because that's the only time I had. For me, the mark of really good writing is that I want to take my time and read it slowly. I feel that way about this book. I'm loving the story and do want to find out how it turns out, but I know I'll be sad when it ends.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2662845;
    It was a Scarpetta that got me and now I can't remember which one. I loved that series, but the longer it went on, the worse it got and yes, I started to think the very same thing. And I was really disappointed as they had been GREAT books, but they got to be really off the wall and angst ridden and the story went from solving the crime to the relationships among all the characters and I got over that quickly.
    Take it from me: the Scarpetta series just keep getting worse. Ever since Patricia Cornwell changed the point of view from first person to third, the books have gone from tolerable (in my humble opinion the last truly great Scarpetta novel was Point of Origin) to plain bad. Exhibit A: the brand new Scarpetta novel, Book of the Dead, which I dutifully dragged myself through this past week. There was a time when I'd stay up all night, compelled to finish the latest Scarpetta novel in one sitting. These days, I feel like giving up half the time. I don't know what's happened to Cornwell, but her writing is just horrific - lazy, clichéd, and downright embarrassing. The characters make no sense whatsoever; Marino's character development in particular just seems implausible to me. Also, seen from an outsider's point of view, the Doc is pretty unbearable, what with her self-righteousness and holier-than-thou attitude. While I was reading The Book of the Dead, which in all fairless is marginally better than the two last ones (although that doesn't say much), I found myself wondering if perhaps even Patricia Cornwell herself has grown sick of Kay Scarpetta.

Has anyone else read Book of the Dead yet? This is the last time I'm buying a Scarpetta novel in hardcover. In an ideal world, of course, I'd change that statement to "this is the last time I'm ever wasting my time with a new Scarpetta novel, period" but see, I know myself pretty well. I refuse to give up on authors I've liked at some point, so rather than seeking out new, fresh alternatives, I'll stay put on the sinking ship, inanely hoping that the next novel will be a return to the good old days. Sadly, though, in the case of Patricia Cornwell, it would take a small miracle for her to get her act together at this point.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2674342;
    Take it from me: the Scarpetta series just keep getting worse. Ever since Patricia Cornwell changed the point of view from first person to third, the books have gone from tolerable (in my humble opinion the last truly great Scarpetta novel was Point of Origin) to plain bad. Exhibit A: the brand new Scarpetta novel, Book of the Dead, which I dutifully dragged myself through this past week. There was a time when I'd stay up all night, compelled to finish the latest Scarpetta novel in one sitting. These days, I feel like giving up half the time. I don't know what's happened to Cornwell, but her writing is just horrific - lazy, clichéd, and downright embarrassing. The characters make no sense whatsoever; Marino's character development in particular just seems implausible to me. Also, seen from an outsider's point of view, the Doc is pretty unbearable, what with her self-righteousness and holier-than-thou attitude. While I was reading The Book of the Dead, which in all fairless is marginally better than the two last ones (although that doesn't say much), I found myself wondering if perhaps even Patricia Cornwell herself has grown sick of Kay Scarpetta.

Has anyone else read Book of the Dead yet? This is the last time I'm buying a Scarpetta novel in hardcover. In an ideal world, of course, I'd change that statement to "this is the last time I'm ever wasting my time with a new Scarpetta novel, period" but see, I know myself pretty well. I refuse to give up on authors I've liked at some point, so rather than seeking out new, fresh alternatives, I'll stay put on the sinking ship, inanely hoping that the next novel will be a return to the good old days. Sadly, though, in the case of Patricia Cornwell, it would take a small miracle for her to get her act together at this point.

You're not alone! I find myself doing the same thing, that glimmer of hope in the back of my head telling me that maybe this one will be great. Sigh... I think that is why I continue to purchase every James Patterson book the moment it hits the shelves as well. Old habits die hard.

I have not read "Dawn of the Dead", think I will look at the used book store this time - it's just such a letdown to pay full retail for a hardcover and have it suck.

+ Reply to Thread