+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 707 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130530 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 7062
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #291
    Reformed Perfectionist G.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lake Wildwood, CA
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    My wife had to read The Shipping News for a book club, and I don't think she liked it very well, GG.
    I keep waiting for the "humor" that the jacket promised, but so far, none. I keep "saving" A Prayer for Owen Meany so that I can read it on vacation or something and I'm starting to think I should just read it.

    Has anyone read the precursor to The Da Vinci Code? My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

  2. #292
    Wonky snarkmistress Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Playing kickball for the beer
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Has anyone read the precursor to The Da Vinci Code? My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
    If "Angels and Demons" was the precursor, then yes. I liked it a lot, personally. But I know a lot of people's gripes about The Da Vinci Code apply to that one as well. I think it's discussed in the Da Vinci thread.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

  3. #293
    Waiting..for the wolves Great Pyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    If "Angels and Demons" was the precursor, then yes. I liked it a lot, personally. But I know a lot of people's gripes about The Da Vinci Code apply to that one as well. I think it's discussed in the Da Vinci thread.
    Lucy, I've yet to read "The Da Vinci Code", but did read "Angels and Demons".
    All of us excommunicated Catholics know the secrets of the universe are buried in the Vatican archives. Grammer Goddess, you can never go wrong with John Irving...Literature, Funny, Sick, Genius! Hotel New Hampshire was my
    fave. Was going to call my avatar State O Maine, but was over ruled by the wife....He taught me to be sensitive to women
    Last edited by Great Pyr; 03-13-2004 at 10:26 PM.
    A terrible beauty is born

  4. #294
    Come Along, Pond phat32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hi, Olivia!
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    If "Angels and Demons" was the precursor, then yes. I liked it a lot, personally. But I know a lot of people's gripes about The Da Vinci Code apply to that one as well. I think it's discussed in the Da Vinci thread.
    It's probably been discussed to death, but I think there was an actual moment when I realized that The Da Vinci Code was going to be bad--a cracking read, but just bad: The professor dude who has been shot and has only "moments to live!" but nevertheless manages to construct an incredibly elaborate riddle with himself as part of the clue, a riddle so elaborate that it would take someone (uninjured, not pressed for time) possibly weeks to come up with an equivalent intellectual challenge.

    I could only shake my head and laugh.

    Admittedly, I could not stop turning the pages to this one, though.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

  5. #295
    Come Along, Pond phat32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hi, Olivia!
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Pyr
    Lucy, I've yet to read "The Da Vinci Code", but did read "Angels and Demons".
    All of us excommunicated Catholics know the secrets of the universe are buried in the Vatican archives.
    Someday, I'm going to get all Ethan Hunt and Mission Impossible my way into the Vatican Archives.

    Me (reading the Index to the Vatican upside-down): ...now, let's see--"Academy Awards, Whoopi Goldberg Damned in Hell for Performance"..."Aliens, True Earth Origin and"..."American Idol, Winners Selected by the Holy Father 2003 through 2008"..."Ann Coulter, Pact with Devil Updated"...ah, here we are! "A-Team, Cancellation of..." (Me reading, lips moving, eyes growing wider)...Mr. T...contract negotiations...DC Cab...to star in own movies...?! NOOO! I pity the church that cancelled my favorite 80's show! I PITY THE CHURCH...!

    [Disclaimer: The above was written at 4 am.]


    but was over ruled by the wife....He taught me to be sensitive to women
    Makes that head-cocking gesture at you that a dog would. "Wife"? "He"? Erh?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

  6. #296
    Soccer Kicks Balls cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    right behind you
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,258
    Hiya Phat! Long Time no "read"

    Right now I'm reading "The Summons" by Grishom.

    I'm only on something like page 5, but so far it's good
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

  7. #297
    Waiting..for the wolves Great Pyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Someday, I'm going to get all Ethan Hunt and Mission Impossible my way into the Vatican Archives.

    Me (reading the Index to the Vatican upside-down): ...now, let's see--"Academy Awards, Whoopi Goldberg Damned in Hell for Performance"..."Aliens, True Earth Origin and"..."American Idol, Winners Selected by the Holy Father 2003 through 2008"..."Ann Coulter, Pact with Devil Updated"...ah, here we are! "A-Team, Cancellation of..." (Me reading, lips moving, eyes growing wider)...Mr. T...contract negotiations...DC Cab...to star in own movies...?! NOOO! I pity the church that cancelled my favorite 80's show! I PITY THE CHURCH...!

    [Disclaimer: The above was written at 4 am.]






    Makes that head-cocking gesture at you that a dog would. "Wife"? "He"? Erh?
    4 am...tilts head slightly sideways. Irving was the sensitivity guru...the dog
    taught me to stay away from his bowl if there was food in it. Knowledge is
    good.
    A terrible beauty is born

  8. #298
    Come Along, Pond phat32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hi, Olivia!
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Hiya Phat! Long Time no "read"

    Right now I'm reading "The Summons" by Grishom.

    I'm only on something like page 5, but so far it's good

    , Cali

    The girlfriend takes our Grishams and lends them to her parents, so I'm not up to date on Grisham. The last Grisham I read was Skipping Christmas. I had a chuckle and tried to get my fiance to Skip Christmas this year so that we could go on a fancy vacation. Alas, it did not work. (But we had a nice getaway in January, anyway.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

  9. #299
    Come Along, Pond phat32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hi, Olivia!
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Pyr
    4 am...tilts head slightly sideways. Irving was the sensitivity guru...the dog
    taught me to stay away from his bowl if there was food in it. Knowledge is
    good.
    My dog is getting older and ornery: He'll bite if we suddenly wake him up. I think I'll rename him "Bitey."
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

  10. #300
    FORT Regular Delphyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    149
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.