+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, read it in a day and a half (could not put it down!). Also delighted to find out that spegs is the author... too surreal!

I just read Away by Amy Bloom after reading several good reviews. Didn't like it at all. I was expecting to, because I love other (nonfiction) work she's done.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2660698;
    Just finished At Risk by Patricia Cornwell. Such a disappointment. Very little character development and story skips around quite a bit. Definitley not her best effort.
    I used to LOVE her books, but she lost me about 8-9 years ago.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2662107;
    I used to LOVE her books, but she lost me about 8-9 years ago.
    Ditto. I can't recall the name of the specific book that turned me off, but it wasn't a Scarpetta. I believe it was a standalone, and she had turned her hand to whimsy, quirkiness and "humour". Not amusing, not interesting, and I thought that there was a distinct possibility that Cornwell was actually crazy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2662296;
    Ditto. I can't recall the name of the specific book that turned me off, but it wasn't a Scarpetta. I believe it was a standalone, and she had turned her hand to whimsy, quirkiness and "humour". Not amusing, not interesting, and I thought that there was a distinct possibility that Cornwell was actually crazy.
    I was turned off for a while as well - I believe it was when she started writing books on new characters, I think she wrote 3 or 4 with those characters and I did not really care for them too much. She finally went back to her old characters in a newer book (title escaping me at the moment) and it was better, but still not like her old stuff. I think I am giving up on her - so sad, because she used to be a really good author.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot;333773;
    I am reading ...
    Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging and the sequels like On the Other Hand, Im the Girlfriend of a Sex God
    Dancing in my Nuddy-pants
    Good grief, that's a lot of words strung together in no discernable order. Who is the author? How many books are on that list?

I am reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak.

MRD

It was a Scarpetta that got me and now I can't remember which one. I loved that series, but the longer it went on, the worse it got and yes, I started to think the very same thing. And I was really disappointed as they had been GREAT books, but they got to be really off the wall and angst ridden and the story went from solving the crime to the relationships among all the characters and I got over that quickly.

It wasn't a conscious decision at the time, but after reading the first 20 pages of the non-Scarpetta book "Hornet's Nest", I never read another word by her again. I doubt I ever will.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2665815;
    It wasn't a conscious decision at the time, but after reading the first 20 pages of the non-Scarpetta book "Hornet's Nest", I never read another word by her again. I doubt I ever will.
    You read 20 pages??? I don't think I got half that far.

I did give another couple of her Scarpetta books a try after that. But her quality went way down hill. Which is a shame because I loved Moreno.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2665815;
    I think it was Hornet's Nest that did it for me too, Amanda. I read a few of her books after that, but the quality of her writing isn't what it used to be. I put her in the same category with Anne Rice and James Patterson. They got SO popular and the demand (and greed - either on the part of the publisher or the writer, or both!) so great, that they began putting out what I call "First Draft Novels." The writing is sloppy, the plots feel like a rehashing of previous books and it's not ever very satisfying. Really though, Cornwell lost me after all that "I solved the Jack the Ripper case" B.S.

Enough about bad writing! I found a great little book in the pile of books I brought back from the booksellers convention last month. I'm only about 45 pages into Michele Zackheim's Broken Colors, but I'm absolutely hooked. It's about a woman, born during WWI, who is raised by her bohemian grandparents and becomes an artist. So far, she's in London going to art school. The writing is so lovely and, somehow, familiar, that I got completely pulled into the story. I can't wait to find out what happens!

In honor of the holiday, I stayed home and read. I finished L.A. Outlaws by T. Jefferson Parker, which I think is due to be released in February. I generally don't buy his books new since I can finish them in an afternoon, but this one was very good. Of course, I didn't pay for it, so I had no qualms about devouring it in an afternoon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread