+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finally finished Cather's The Song of the Lark last night. I forgot how much I love her writing. I spent much longer with this book because I savored the language, re-reading passages. Makes me want to go re-read some of her other books.

I'm now reading Anchee Min's Empress Orchid, about China's last empress. I'm only about 15 pages in but I'm enjoying it so far. Tomorrow is my day off, so I'm going to stay in bed and read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finished reading A Grave Talent, by Laurie R. King. I liked it, more than what I expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

Actually my expectations were a bit low, because I had read a few reviews online which were not all that positive. I normally try to avoid reading reviews, mostly because I like forming my own opinions, and try as I might, once I've read a review, I'm always afraid some of the critic's opinions will have stuck in my mind and shaped, however unconsciously, my own. But this time, I had been looking for a brief synopsis to paste at the FORT, and even in passing, what I had read sounded rather uneven.

I do have a criticism and it is that I felt the author made an unecessarily big deal
    Click to see Spoiler:
    of the main character's sexuality. She's gay but for a long time in the book, you don't know that, because King deliberately hides her partner's sexuality. Like I said, I didn't understand why she just didn't say it from the beginning and be natural about it. By being coy I just felt like King was making it out to be like this huge revelation/shock, gasp Kate is gay, kind of thing, as opposed to it being just a part of who she is.

I also thought the synopsis I posted was really off the mark . My own fault of course and it teaches me not to look online for brief soundbites of a book that really don't tell anything about it's content .

elk

I am finally reading "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer and am completely engrossed. I tried to read it a couple of times before but just couldn't get into it. This time, I am using an audio book version. I find that if there is a series of books, it is somehow more exciting to listen to the first. Then I really look forward to actually reading the next ones.

Bella and Edward's feelings are so intense that I don't believe I've read anything quite like this before. I am so glad I started reading this thread many months ago and took the recommendations of so many of you. Am I to understand that Ms. Meyer was at one time a member of the FORT?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

MRD

I just read Pomegranite Soup. I liked it, but felt the ending was a little weak.
    But I guess not bad for a first novel.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've just finished Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman. Its the latest in the Dr. Delaware series. It was a good read. Here's a link for more info. Random House Publishing Group | Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;2656225;
    I've just finished Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman. Its the latest in the Dr. Delaware series. It was a good read. Here's a link for more info. Random House Publishing Group | Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman
    I read that recently. It was good. I love Kellerman
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am currently reading At Risk by Patricia Cornwell. I love her Kay Scarpetta series, and now she is embarking on some new characters.
    Should finish it today (time permitting ). Will let you all know.

FORT Newbie

Currently reading "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfield .. so far, pretty good.

Just finished At Risk by Patricia Cornwell. Such a disappointment. Very little character development and story skips around quite a bit. Definitley not her best effort.

elk

I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. What an excellent read that was. I highly recommend it!

I am now reading Jenny McCarthy's book on her son's autism diagnosis. I am not learning anything new from it (my own son was diagnosed over 10 years ago; she is still in the relatively early stages), but I did find parallels in misdiagnoses, waitlists and condescending physicians. Being a celebrity did not help learn about her son's autism faster, or get him state services any sooner and that makes me not want to be so hard on her as I was when she first went public.

Of course, you can be the biggest celebrity ever and you will still feel every bit of the grief someone like me (decidely a noncelebrity) feels when you first find out.

I've also read a couple of chef Anthony Bourdain's books. They are very entertaining! He's quite a bad boy...
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread