+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. Not his best work. It's about Italian pro football. Not soccer. But Football Americano.

I like football and found this book to be boring and aimless.
    At least it was very short so didn't take up much of my time.

I am now reading Letters from Nuremburg by Chris Dodd and it is excellant!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2643650;
    I just finished Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. Not his best work. It's about Italian pro football. Not soccer. But Football Americano.

I like football and found this book to be boring and aimless.
    At least it was very short so didn't take up much of my time.

Thanks for the heads-up! I just saw this at Costco - and after a bit of a debate, passed for the moment. So glad that I did. I did enjoy his book "The Bleachers", but I guess this not in the same league? Appreciate you saving me the $.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2646211;
    Thanks for the heads-up! I just saw this at Costco - and after a bit of a debate, passed for the moment. So glad that I did. I did enjoy his book "The Bleachers", but I guess this not in the same league? Appreciate you saving me the $.
    I LOVED Bleachers and no, this is NOT in the same league at all. In fact, it's quite possibly the worst book of his entire catalogue. It's not horribly written, he's still a good writer. It's just aimless and boring and if you don't like football, its going to be even more boring as half of the book sounds like a team playbook for any of the SEC teams that Grisham constantly mentions.
    I happen to love football and found most of the book boring. It's almost like a nod to how much Grisham knows about football plays. If he keeps writing bombs like this one, he may well have to find a team that will let him coach. Maybe for Pizza.

I just finished Promise Me by Harlan Coben. Wow. It was the first of his that I had read, and I am going to the used book store today to pick up the others in this series. It was fantastic. His writing style is unlike other mysteries out there, I really enjoyed it. The banter between Myron and Win is great - kept me smiling throughout the book.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2647023;
    I just finished Promise Me by Harlan Coben. Wow. It was the first of his that I had read, and I am going to the used book store today to pick up the others in this series. It was fantastic. His writing style is unlike other mysteries out there, I really enjoyed it. The banter between Myron and Win is great - kept me smiling throughout the book.
    Love Harlan Coben and have read a lot of his stuff. You'll enjoy it too.

I took a detour from Nuremberg and read You've Been Warned and The Quickie by James Patterson. I read Quickie first and really enjoyed all the twists and turns. It was like he was back to his old style that he has departed from in the past few years (I have been saying that while his books are still good, they have not been AS good as they were at the beginning) and the Quickie was good. Then I read You've Been Warned and what a strange book. It was actually kind of weird and disappointing to read it right after the other one. It was just strange and wholly unbelievable even at the end. I wish he'd leave the weird stuff to Koontz and King and stick with the suspense and thrillers he does so well.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2648678;
    Love Harlan Coben and have read a lot of his stuff. You'll enjoy it too.

I took a detour from Nuremberg and read You've Been Warned and The Quickie by James Patterson. I read Quickie first and really enjoyed all the twists and turns. It was like he was back to his old style that he has departed from in the past few years (I have been saying that while his books are still good, they have not been AS good as they were at the beginning) and the Quickie was good. Then I read You've Been Warned and what a strange book. It was actually kind of weird and disappointing to read it right after the other one. It was just strange and wholly unbelievable even at the end. I wish he'd leave the weird stuff to Koontz and King and stick with the suspense and thrillers he does so well.
    I think you just saved me again, Rosie!! Since I enjoyed Quickie so much, I assumed he was back up to par again and that You've Been Warned would be just as good. Should I just wait to buy it at the used book store or skip it altogether? The co-author on this book is the same as Beach House, correct? Maybe that explains why the ending is a dissapointment?

FORT Newbie

I'm reading fight club right now...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2648720;
    I think you just saved me again, Rosie!! Since I enjoyed Quickie so much, I assumed he was back up to par again and that You've Been Warned would be just as good. Should I just wait to buy it at the used book store or skip it altogether? The co-author on this book is the same as Beach House, correct? Maybe that explains why the ending is a dissapointment?
    That explains a LOT right there. It was not AS weird as Beach House, but it was weird.
    I'd get it from the library like I did. But I wish now, I had not read it right after reading Quickie, because it was a big letdown from Quickie.

I have to wonder how much of it Patterson really wrote as it didn't even "sound" like him. And Quickie just "sounded" like the old Patterson.

I probably would not have finished it except that it was so strange and convoluted that I had to know what happened at the end and then it was such a stupid ending and I kind of suspected what was going to happen, but it was crap. It really was.

I'd go with more Harlan Corben and skip You've Been Warned

Rabid by T.K. Kenyon. Kenyon's metaphors are a little bit too imaginative, for lack of a better word, and there's way too much laboratory jargon (apparently she's an actual scientist, but outside of a medical journal, we probably don't need to know all the detail she provides about two of the main characters' work).

Having said that, though, it's an entertaining read so far, with good character development and an interesting plot line. Overall it's well-written, and reminds me a little of Jane Smiley's work. Definitely worth checking out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. The split-narrative format works much better here than in Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. The blend of the real and surreal is also really, really nice. There's a lot of soul (pseudo-pun not intended) as well. I'm still having a hard time believing that it was released in English only two years ago. I feel like I've seen it everywhere for as long as I can remember...though with good reason, definitely.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread