+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

I've just read some good (and excellent*) books:

Look Me in the Eye (My Life with Asperger's) by John Elder Robison *
    You've Been Warned by James Patterson (very different from his usual)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by (sorry can't remember) *
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie

I'm into the homestretch of "Shopaholic and Baby" by Sophie Kinsella

The Shopaholic series has, unfortunately, become a little predictable for me.

Look Me in The Eye was written by Augusten Burroughs' (Running with Scissors) older brother. He was featured in one of the chapters of RWS. It is so funny and interesting. Give it a try.

A Thousand Splendid Suns was just as, if not more, touching and wonderful as the author's first book: The Kite Runner.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Here's a list of my most recent reads:

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe - a huge, sprawling giant of a read (771 pages!) set at an Ivy League college. Loved it!

My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson - what a waste of paper! The premise was good, but the writing was mediocre and I could tell how it was going to end right away. Talk about predicable.

Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella - light, fun, and entertaining. I really need to start reading the Shopaholic books in chronological order, though.

Next in line: The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

I had to tell everyone about Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran.

Those of you who enjoyed Garden Spells and Practical Magic will love this!

It is about three sisters who flee Iran before the revolution. They open a restaurant in a small Irish town and the food is magical. This book also contains some mouthwatering recpes. I started it yesterday and and 2/3 through it already.

I finished Shopaholic and Baby yesterday, and although it was light and funny, I found it too predictable after reading the other four. Geek, you may have the right idea in reading them out of order - maybe that makes them more fun.

Next up (maybe, lol) Born on a Blue Day.

Oh, and, Geek, I am on the list for the new Siebold, hoping it comes soon!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I just started A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King. I'm just a few pages in but I'm enjoying it so far. This is the first book in the Kate Martinelli series and the first one I've read actually. I hope it's a good one since there seem to be a lot more to read if I like the first one .

From Publisher's Weekly:

Three children's bodies are found near a reclusive community of eccentrics not too many miles from San Francisco. Young cop Casey Martinelli and her embittered, tyrannical partner Alonzo Hawkins think they've identified the perfect suspect in Vaun Adams, the community's resident artist, who once was convicted of murdering a child and who is secretive even by the standards of her weird neighbors.
    Next in line: Almost Moon by Alice Siebold and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen thanks to FORT recommendations .

The Good Guy, by Dean Koontz. Why, I don't know. Okay, I do know - I was waiting in line at the library and Mr. Rattus was poking about the books on the New & Recommended shelf, and whenever he does that I end up taking at least one book with me. This time it was Koontz. Well, I guess I have to do it every once in a while to remind myself how much I dislike his writing and the annoying tossing about of bon mot that qualifies as conversation between his characters. Ah well, at least I have The Almost Moon, Foreskin's Lament, Friend of the Devil, The Milk Chicken Bomb and Cold Eye coming down the pike, so something to look forward to, and I did pick up an Ann Cleeves book as well, so something to look foward to even sooner than that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2629221;
    The Good Guy, by Dean Koontz. Why, I don't know. Okay, I do know - I was waiting in line at the library and Mr. Rattus was poking about the books on the New & Recommended shelf, and whenever he does that I end up taking at least one book with me. This time it was Koontz. Well, I guess I have to do it every once in a while to remind myself how much I dislike his writing and the annoying tossing about of bon mot that qualifies as conversation between his characters. Ah well, at least I have The Almost Moon, Foreskin's Lament, Friend of the Devil, The Milk Chicken Bomb and Cold Eye coming down the pike, so something to look forward to, and I did pick up an Ann Cleeves book as well, so something to look foward to even sooner than that.
    Hi Rattus - What is Foreskin's Lament? I must say the title is intriguing.

I agree about Dean Koontz, I have been trying to put my finger on why his books bug me. It's not just the smart ass characters, but their smart ass comments!

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2630805;
    Hi Rattus - What is Foreskin's Lament? I must say the title is intriguing.
    It's a memoir by Shalom Auslander wherein he describes his Orthodox Jewish upbringing as "theological abuse". I was raised Catholic rather than Jewish, but I can empathize with the concept - plus, it sounds amusing rather than angst-ridden. I've long since lost any taste (if I ever had it) for the woe-is-me, happy-to-be-a-victim school of autobiography. I'll let you know if it's as good as I'm hoping it will be.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2630821;
    It's a memoir by Shalom Auslander wherein he describes his Orthodox Jewish upbringing as "theological abuse". I was raised Catholic rather than Jewish, but I can empathize with the concept - plus, it sounds amusing rather than angst-ridden. I've long since lost any taste (if I ever had it) for the woe-is-me, happy-to-be-a-victim school of autobiography. I'll let you know if it's as good as I'm hoping it will be.
    I should go out and get this; it sounds like it might be a good read. Unless of course it turns out to be from that woe-is-me school of autobiography.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I'm reading through Ridley Pearson's Lou Boldt/Daphne Matthews series ...currently on No Witnesses.
    Also reading Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur about the 12 apostles.

FORT Fan

I'm reading Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue, which is about the English language and how it developed. It's really interesting so far (I'm only 50 pages in).

Before this I read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, which retells the fairy tale with a twist: Hansel and Gretel are two Jewish children on the run from the Nazis. They are taken in by the "witch," an old gypsy woman who lives in the forest outside a small Polish village. There were parts I didn't like, but overall it was a good read.
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

+ Reply to Thread