+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

The Border Lord's Bride - Bertrice Small

Murder She Wrote: Rum and Razor based on the TV show.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

I'm currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It's definitely very nicely written, but I gotta say, I'm not really enjoying the split-narrative format. Nevertheless, I plan on finally picking up another one of his, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, after I finish this one.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Last night, I finished The Art Thief by Noah Charney. I can't even be diplomatic here. It was bad. I had hopes, since the author seems to have a top notch education and a background in art history, but those things clearly don't make a writer. The prose was muddy - too many convoluted descriptions and bad word choice - the characters weren't well-drawn and the dialog was not believable. The only good thing about it was that it was fairly short at 290 pages. I read it for work, as I help choose the titles for our book club. Needless to say, this one isn't making the cut. I found the whole thing completely pompous and arrogant, from the acknowledgments at the back of the book to the picture of the author on the dust jacket. He looks like he stepped out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel...probably Less Than Zero. Sorry to rant on about this book, but I'm feeling hostile about losing so much time reading such a stinker!

In contrast, I'm just about finished with Alice Sebold's new one, The Almost Moon, which is stunning. I got an advance copy last week and can't believe I waited even a week to read it. She had me from the first paragraph:
    When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily. Dementia, as it descends, has a way of revealing the core of the person affected by it. My mother's core was rotten like the brackish water at the bottom of a weeks-old vase of flowers. She had been beautiful when my father met her and still capable of love when I became their late-in-life child, but by the time she gazed up at me that day, none of this mattered.
    Not the happiest of subjects (as if The Lovely Bones was), but her writing is so beautiful and the story so compelling that I can't put it down. I had a work lunch to go to (it's my day off) and I didn't even want to go - I just wanted to stay here in my pj's and finish the book. I think it's released today in hardcover and I can't recommend it enough, especially if you enjoyed The Lovely Bones.

Next up for me is probably Willa Cather's The Song of the Lark or A Thousand Splendid Suns, which just came in the mail yesterday. I've got a gigantic pile of books from the booksellers convention last week and from my "mad money" order from comdefault.asp. I hardly know where to start. It's an embarrassment of riches!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

After reading all these raves about The Eight, I finally caved and got it at the library. I had high hopes for it after reading the first 20 pages or so. The story was getting off to a great start, but then... Well, let's just say it started to suck. Big time. By page 50 it was getting seriously tedious. All that gratuitous historical name dropping! It seemed to me the author cracked the fattest history book she could find, flipped it open at the index and started systematically working the names into her story. Hey, paper thin idea? No problem! Add in lots of historical figures and it all sounds so much better! There was a bit too much fiction in this fiction, for me. Maybe if I didn't know who JL David was, for example, it would have been better.

By the 50th page I was ready to commit that cardinal sin which I absolutely never commit, not even with the worst book. I read the last 10 pages. The ending wasn't even a surprise, it was beyond lame in my view. I'd have hurled it across the room but it weighs a ton, so I couldn't.

Sorry, I hated the damn thing. But it makes for a good doorstop till I take it back to the library.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

MRD

I'm reading Garden Spells which I'm really liking.

Next on my list:
    Come on People by Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint
    I am America and So Can You by Stephen Colbert (although my 16 year old is reading it and says its really bad)

And I'm DYING to get Ken Follet's follow up to Pillars of the Earth. World Without End.
    LOVED Pillars and I own it (I don't own many books, most are not worth it so I use the library, but I only buy the REALLY good ones) and can't wait to read his new one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished a book I have been wanting to read for a long time, The Remains of the Day. AMAZING. That is the best 1st person narration I have EVER read!! What concise yet eloquent storytelling, with some of the best psychological subtext I have ever read. Kazuo Ishiguro is a truly brilliant writer to have created something so perfect. I'm sorry, I just can't stress enough how great it was.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I' m finishing reading the Weapon.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

I am reading 'The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2007' by Dave Eggers and Sufjan Stevens. While I write a little more on my own book.

I just finished reading Blue shoes and happiness, the seventh book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I really enjoy this series, it's total comfort reading to me, and this book has been definitely one of my favourites.

My two favourite characters in the series are Mma Ramotswe's husband, Mr. J.L.B Matekoni, owner of Tlokweng Roads Speedy Motors, and her assistant detective and secretary, Miss Grace Makutsi, a fellow shoe lover. I think they both can be so funny.

Mr. J.L.B Matekoni for example, musing about people's lack of sensitivity when delivering bad news:
    And just as Mma Ramotswe was tactful in the breaking of difficult news, so too could Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni convey bad news about cars in such a way as to soften the blow to the owner. He had seen some mechanics shake their heads when looking at an engine - even if the car's owner was standing right next to them. Indeed when he had been an apprentice himself, he had served alongside a German-trained mechanic who would simply point at an engine and shout Kaput! This was no way of letting a customer know that all was not well, and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni wondered whether German doctors did the same with their patients and just shook their heads and said Kaput! Perhaps they did.
    Or Mma Makutsi and her conversations with her shoes, whom she loves but more often than not finds very unsympathetic to her plights:
    She looked down at her shoes - her green shoes with the sky blue linings. And the shoes looked back up at her. You've done it, Boss, said the shoes. Don't expect us to carry you all around town looking for another man. You had one and now you don't. Bad luck, Boss. Bad luck.
    Anyway, I liked this book very much. Perfect autumn reading .

+ Reply to Thread