+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Last month I started reading the Thursday Next books to stave off grad school burn-out (by the way, AJane, now I know what your sig means! ). What a brilliant series. I've just finished The Well of Lost Plots. I can't wait for payday so I can dive into the next installment.

We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I started reading yesterday and was completely floored by it. What a powerful book, and what exquisite use of language! If anyone has read it, I'd love to discuss it when I'm done.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2595242;
    We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I started reading yesterday and was completely floored by it. What a powerful book, and what exquisite use of language! If anyone has read it, I'd love to discuss it when I'm done.
    I read it a few years ago - brilliant book that I have been unable to compel anyone else to read, based on the level of description I could give without giving anything away.

I don't know if you've read Waverley Place by Susan Brownmiller, but there is a very similar feel about it, and it's equally as difficult to put down.

Currently I'm reading Vulture: Nature's Ghastly Gourmet by Wayne Grady. It's about, obviously vultures, which are fascinating birds. And I actually sat weeping outside my office yesterday at lunch while reading about the California Condor.

I'm also reading The Rule of Four right now. Eh. Not doing much for me.

And along with these two, I've been semi reading three books by Dee Dee Ramone, including one which has been described as a novel,"Chelsea Horror Hotel" which appears to be more of an autobiography like the other two books. I'll say one thing for it, though, it's confirmed for me that under no circumstances will I ever stay at the Chelsea. 2" cockroaches indeed.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2595523;
    I read it a few years ago - brilliant book that I have been unable to compel anyone else to read, based on the level of description I could give without giving anything away.

I don't know if you've read Waverley Place by Susan Brownmiller, but there is a very similar feel about it, and it's equally as difficult to put down.

Currently I'm reading Vulture: Nature's Ghastly Gourmet by Wayne Grady. It's about, obviously vultures, which are fascinating birds. And I actually sat weeping outside my office yesterday at lunch while reading about the California Condor.

I'm also reading The Rule of Four right now. Eh. Not doing much for me.

And along with these two, I've been semi reading three books by Dee Dee Ramone, including one which has been described as a novel,"Chelsea Horror Hotel" which appears to be more of an autobiography like the other two books. I'll say one thing for it, though, it's confirmed for me that under no circumstances will I ever stay at the Chelsea. 2" cockroaches indeed.

Me too and I feel the same. But I am reading it after The Eight and The Labyrinth, so maybe that's why. It's not nearly on par with those.
    I read Faye Kellerman's Burnt House over the weekend. Ok book, but a leap of logic that I found unbelievable, but other than that, it was a good book for being sick and not wanting anything too deep.

I started Letters from Nuremburg and its excellant so far, but again, I don't feel well so want to be able to give it my full attention so will pick it up again when I'm feeling bette and better able to absorb it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

elk

Hi Everyone! Boy, is it quiet in here...

Recently, I have read:

Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston
    Lucky by Alice Siebold
    Wheel of Darkness by Preston & Child
    Dexter in the Dark by Jeffrey Lindsay
    The Nanny Diaries by ?

They were all quite good (I really enjoy the Dexter series and the tv show), I read The Nanny Diaries and Lucky based on recommendations here.

Geek, I am on the list for We Need to Talk about Kevin at my library and will look forward to discussing it when I am done. I also got on the list for the new Siebold, thanks for the tip!

Has anyone read A Thousand Splendid Suns? Was it as good as The Kite Runner?

Is there any kind of function this board provides wherein we can list and possibly vote for favourite books? I would love that feature!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

MRD

The Rule of Four was very disappointing. Now that I've read several books in a similar vein, this one just was slow and didn't seem all that exciting. Kind of pointless in places. I don't get all the hype for it.

I'm re-reading A Wrinkle in Time now.

Next up is the Latest John Sanford "Prey" book. Love Lucas Davenport
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2600263;
    The Rule of Four was very disappointing. Now that I've read several books in a similar vein, this one just was slow and didn't seem all that exciting. Kind of pointless in places. I don't get all the hype for it.
    No kidding. I generally read two or three books a week, but this one I've been reading since last Sunday (it's now Friday) and am still only on page 140. I keep finding that I've apparently read four or five pages without aborbing anything (thinking about laundry, whether the organic butcher will have lamb today, or why on earth is that woman wearing those shoes with that skirt instead), and then have to go back and reread them because it looks like we may be heading somewhere where info from what I've missed will be required. I've been wrong every single time, which means I'm reading twice as much dull prose as is actually necessary. And the shifts back and forth in time from the start of his relationship with his girlfriend to the present is the least clearly delineated I've ever encountered.

I would give it up, but of the six books I took out of the library last weekend, so far only one of them has been worth the read (the book on vultures mentioned in my previous post - excellent, and I've put another book by the same author on hold).

Actually, I just went to check my account and Cast of Shadows by Kevin Guilfoile and Toronto the Wild by Wayne Grady are both waiting for me, along with Syriana (the DVD), at the library, so I think I will just read the last five pages of The Rule of Four and then send it on its way.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

One of my friends has been raving about Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert so I picked it up this morning. I can't wait to get started.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

CCL

Finally got around to reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. The first 80-or-so pages were slow going but after that it got really good, a real page-turner.

Next on deck - Stardust by Neil Gaiman. The movie (out this past summer) got me interested in the story but I couldn't bear going to see the flick as I can't stand Claire Danes. So I'm going to read the book instead.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2600161;
    Has anyone read A Thousand Splendid Suns? Was it as good as The Kite Runner?
    I did and found it better than the Kite Runner. But I do admit to find it a little slow to pick up.

+ Reply to Thread