+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

All this talk about The Rule of Four is making me reread it now. I like it again, so no surprise there. It just mentioned The Count of Monte Cristo and now I want to reread that too.

I should really get The Eight and see what's so great about it.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

elk

I just finished Good Grief by Lolly Winstone. The book is about a women who becomes a widow at a fairly young age and her adventures in healing. The thing that saves this book is that the main character is like a Lucy Ricardo - she is hilarious. Despite having a real downer of a topic, this book had me laughing throughout.

Before that, I read The Quickie by James Patterson and I really enjoyed it (far more than his other recent work). There are some interesting twists and turns.

I started Lucky by Alice Siebold last night. This is the true story of Ms. Siebold's rape at the age of 18. The writing is sublime; I picked up the book because I loved the writing in her other book, The Lovely Bones.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2581373;
    I started Lucky by Alice Siebold last night. This is the true story of Ms. Siebold's rape at the age of 18. The writing is sublime; I picked up the book because I loved the writing in her other book, The Lovely Bones.
    elk, I'm a big fan of Alice Sebold's writing, too. You'll be happy to know that she has a new novel coming out on October 16. It's called The Almost Noon, and if the Amazon blurb is anything to go by, it sounds like another must-read. Here's the link: Amazon.com: The Almost Moon: A Novel: Books: Alice Sebold
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD

Finished the Labyrinth and it was good. Am reading The Eight now and it blows the Labyrinth out of the water. It's a page turner. Good thing I've been sick as all I've done is lay in bed and read. And I don't know much about chess, but this has been a great book. Interesting too as I did not know so much about the Shi'te form of Islam and I googled some of what she wrote about and learned even more.
    I should finish it tonight.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. So far, I'm loving it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD

The Eight was fabulous! Must read! Thanks for reccomending it guys.

I'm reading Spare Change by Robert Parker. Well I will be reading it next. I have it, just haven't started it yet.

I did read about 16 pages of Letters from Nuremburg today while my daughter was interviewing at Barnes and Noble. I really want to read that book now. It sounded absolutely fascinating.

I have Rule of Four to pick up at the library tomorrow.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2588848;
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. So far, I'm loving it.
    I just read Water for Elephants a few months ago. I picked it up totally randomly and now it is turning up every where! It's even the next read for one of my book clubs!
    I loved it too.

The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives and Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown by Maureen Waller... as you can tell, a bit of a British history nut, here.

Tamar by Mal Peet.

I'm about 200 pages into The Eight myself. Absolutely love it. The blurb on the cover compares it to Da Vinci Code, but frankly, that's an insult to Katherine Neville. Very, very well-written, great pacing, and enough historical detail to interest but not to bore me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread